Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice Needed On Engine Rust On Late 2000 Yaris

DesBoyle

Hi All,

I was looking to buy a late 2000 Yaris the other day but I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of rust around the front bottom half of the engine, what could cause this and is it an issue?? The car has 66,000 miles and has just passed its MOT/NCT test, the rest of the car is spotless...

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

hi mate - my 1999 yaris has a very rusty engine too - i believe its because the engine is cast iron - mine has ~49000 miles and seems alright - my dad seems perfectly happy with it and says its nothing for me to worry about.

hi mate - my 1999 yaris has a very rusty engine too - i believe its because the engine is cast iron - mine has ~49000 miles and seems alright - my dad seems perfectly happy with it and says its nothing for me to worry about.

Cheers BLiTZ :thumbsup: , that puts my mind at rest a bit!!

i know how you felt though - first time i peered under the bonnet i was a bit shocked - and not just by the pityful size of the engine itself :P

Is the actual engine block or the exhaust manifold you're seeing? The T-Sport engine has the manifold at the back and before I swapped it for a megan one it was manky (rusty).

As far as I remember the 1.0 and Phase2 1.3 engine has the manifold at the front and the ones Ive seen rust the same way as my old one did?

Hi Clarky,

Yeah the manifold is on the front and there was rust on both the manifold and the engine block..I was just looking at the car for a female friend who was gonna buy it and I've never seen such rust on a relatively fresh car..although the car was not used for a few months, however as it just passed its NCT/MOT at the end of January I kinda figured it would be OK but I was still stumped as to why it would rust like that...overall though the car is in excellent condition...

I agree with you BLiTZ, the engine is TINY :o , but I was surprised when I drove it how lively it was out on the open road... :thumbsup:

Hey nothing to worry about, mines a 1999 and only done 33 thousand, mines just the same, ive just had my block repainted, looks really nice, shame it shows the rest of the engine bay up lol, ill put some pics up of it tomorrow to show you :thumbsup:

James.

Hey nothing to worry about, mines a 1999 and only done 33 thousand, mines just the same, ive just had my block repainted, looks really nice, shame it shows the rest of the engine bay up lol, ill put some pics up of it tomorrow to show you :thumbsup:

James.

Cheers fishboy,,That would be interesting to see!! :thumbsup:

Hmm - not seen that before - I tend to keep mine relatively clean with an oily rag and elbow grease.

well aint the 1.5 an aluminium block? cos the 1sz-fe is iron

Mine's a 2000 model aswell and is exactly the same. Both the manifold and block are rusting on mine, absolutely nothing to worry about though! :yes::thumbsup:

Let's see what the Haynes Service Manual says:

"The 1.0 litre and 1.3 litre engines offered in the Yaris appear similar on paper, but there are some significant differences between them...

The 1.0 litre engine has a cast-iron cylinder block, with the exhaust manifold at the front...

There are two 1.3 litre engines fitted to the Yaris -- the 2NZ-FE, and the 2SZ-FE, fitted to French-built models. The 2NZ-FE engine has an aluminium alloy block, and a front-mounted plastic inlet manifold. The 2SZ-FE 1.3 engine is closely related to the 1.0 litre unit, having a cast-iron block, with the exhaust manifold on the front...

Broadly speaking, then, the 'odd one out' in the engine range is the 2NZ-FE 1.3 litre unit...Our main project car was a 1.0 litre model..."

I intend to brush paint my car's engine, an 1SZ-FE, including the manifolds, and the whole underside, with POR-15 or Rust Bullet (both anti-rust protectants contain the poisonous -- especially damaging to the lungs -- isocyanates) this summer.

--

Bee.

Hey, sorry for taking so long to put some pics up, this is me painted block which was covered in rust, shame it shows up the rest of the other parts.

engine.jpg

Sorry i couldnt resize this.

IMAGE_00070.jpg

James.

Looks like a 1SZ from what I can see of the picture. That has the cast Iron block. Again from what I can see of the picture it looks like the rust is only on the exposed iron surfaces and is absolutely nothing to be worried about

Na i put up some pics because i have just had my block stripped and painted, put them up to show an idea of how you can tidy them up, and plus it only costs a maximum of £20 so for that price i think its worth it :thumbsup:

James.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread

Just want to ask you guys for advise... I see that my Yaris 1.0 Engine is badly rusting under the exhaust manifold, and I want to paint it to stop it from getting worse.

Do I just paint over the rust, or do I have to do some prep work before I paint on top?

I will wait until it's day time to get a pic of my rusty engine.

Many Thanks!

depends on what paint you're going to use.

Paints such as Hammerite can be painted straight over surface rust ( brush any loose flakes first ) - Other paint may need more initial prep work. It should say on the tin/can what's required .

depends on what paint you're going to use.

Paints such as Hammerite can be painted straight over surface rust ( brush any loose flakes first ) - Other paint may need more initial prep work. It should say on the tin/can what's required .

Thanks for the reply!

I shall look out for Hammerite then~ But... is it one of those paint that can take up the heat?

I don't bother painting. I just apply a rust convertor like Jenolite to the rust: turns black and slows down rusting. Cheaper and faster..