Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 Wheels

zebidi

hello

im loking to shop for some wheels for my MR2 to be. I was wondering from all the mixed numbers i get what is the perfect offset for the MR2 sw20? the pcd is 114.3x5 though right?

im looking to put 16x7j offset 35 wheels on the front

16x8.5j offset 37 on the rear

45 profile tyre on the front and 55 profile tyre on the rear. would this be ok? will i get any rubbing? and what are my lowering prospects to be?

the offset guides i have read are all going from 35-44, this is a big margin and i wanted to ask is 39 the middle the absolute perfection.

Thanks in advance :)

If you're really going for an 8.5J on the rear I wouldn't go for anything less than a 40-44.

I was running a 35 offset on my 8J's and they just about rub... I'm now running a 40 offset on my 8J's and they clear perfect.

8.5J's a lot of wheel for the rear... you're better off with 7J on the front and 8J on the rear.

...oh, and correct with the PCD.

I think you're more likely to need 225/50/16 on the rear and 205/50/16 on the front.

In that respect, you shouldn't really go with any more than a 7.5J when running a 16 inch wheel as the tyre won't fit as it should.

Have a read through this... .: Clicky :.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

thanks jesus

So i should do offset lowest 40?

i looked at other wheels since my post and they seem to be that kinda offset for the mr2, more high than low.

thanks again :)

I had a 42 offset on 8J's.

Then put 6mm spacers on the front and 25mm on the back.

But then I had the coilovers to stiffen the suspension so I eventually had no arch rubbing.

• 2 weeks later...

How can I tell what offset my current wheels are, is there any way to tell by looking at them.

Also, the width, im not sure if mine are 7J or 7.5J

can i simply measure ?

I know that my rear wheels have an offset that make them sit further out than the fronts

What would the offsert be for 17" wheels 7J all round, for front and back , so they clear arches ?!

on some wheels it's stamped on "ET42"

Otherwise .. lay the wheel (no tyre) flat on the floor, measure the distance to the face where the hub bolts ..

There is no "norm" .. you need to work out the stock offsets .. and then the width of the rim comes into effect .. a 8J will not rub where a 10J will.

I was running an 8J 17" ET42 with 6mm spacer on the front and a 7J 18" ET35 with a 25mm spacer on the rear ..

if you get the same size rims all round the fronts will either stick out, or the rears will tuck too fur under the rear arches. Front and rear rims are NOT the same.

bibbs----- i was wondering when you used a 25mm spacer for your rear wheels then did you have enough

thread on the bolt for the nut to screw onto ??

I ask this is because i might need spacers for the rear of my sw20 n/a as i have just placed a deposit on a

set of 8X18 35mm offset wheels...although i'm going to be using 215/35 for the front and 225/35 .

I currentely have the same tyres on the mr2 but its 8x18(31mm offset) on the front and 8.5x18(35mm offset) on the rear..........i don't think i'll need as much as a 25mm spacer but i reckon i'll need at least a

10 mil spacer.

I just want the new rear wheels to stick out just as much as my current wheels but am happy for the front to sit slightly further in a i get slight rubbing on the n/s front bumper with the 31mm offset although the o/s front, the wheel sits about 2mm further in just enough to clear .

anyway cheers.... kenny.c

My setup was a bit different, I had cusco suspension lowered so the tyre is 1cm off the arch, the spacers I got had the wrong thread 1.25 vs 1.5 or something, so I had to get new bolts and then get someone with a press to push them into the spacers.

I then had issues with the bolts being too long for my internal drive wheel nuts.

In the end I had wheels that the shoulder of the tyre was 1cm below the arch, and suspension so stiff I didn't have any rubbing, even on the hardest cornering. And the tyres were a few mm wider than the arch (illegal, but the best look in my opinion).

bibbs----- i was wondering when you used a 25mm spacer for your rear wheels then did you have enough

thread on the bolt for the nut to screw onto ??

I ask this is because i might need spacers for the rear of my sw20 n/a as i have just placed a deposit on a

set of 8X18 35mm offset wheels...although i'm going to be using 215/35 for the front and 225/35 .

I currentely have the same tyres on the mr2 but its 8x18(31mm offset) on the front and 8.5x18(35mm offset) on the rear..........i don't think i'll need as much as a 25mm spacer but i reckon i'll need at least a

10 mil spacer.

I just want the new rear wheels to stick out just as much as my current wheels but am happy for the front to sit slightly further in a i get slight rubbing on the n/s front bumper with the 31mm offset although the o/s front, the wheel sits about 2mm further in just enough to clear .

anyway cheers.... kenny.c

I'm running an 18 x 8J on the rear of mine, with a 40mm offset. The clearance on them is perfect.

I'd say an 8.5J on the rear will stick out more than what you're currently running with an 8J of the same offset (35mm).

I'd recommed going wider on the rear too... probably a 245/35/18... which is what I'm running... but it's up to you. Remember to keep the overall circumference the same as stock (or near as damn it).

Not sure if you've seen it, but this is very useful... .: Wheel and Tyre Bible :.

Remember too that the lower the offset, the more they will stick out. Hence a 35mm offset will stick further out than a 45mm offset. Don't mean to state the obvious... but some aren't aware of that.

jesus - hi.... my concern is the amount of thread i would have left if i were to add a 1/2 inch spacer to the rear wheels.......although the next set of wheels are the same offsett ,it's 1/2 inch slimmer than my current ones ..... since i'm not keen to have my new wheels sitting 1/2 inch further into the arch , i would like to add a spacer to make up the difference but am concerned about the amount of thread i would have left for the wheel nut to thread onto........i'm not keen to get longer bolts to accomodate the spacer as i would put my old wheels back on for the winter.

Sorry... I misread... thought you currently had 8J and were going to 8.5J.

Using standard studs, I wouldn't go anymore than a 5-6mm spacer... in fact I wouldn't want to space them out at all with standard stud length.

If you have any old brake discs, simply take these to a local machine shop and ask them to machine them down to a flat spacer, so only the very top of the 'top hat' remains. Holes are perfectly drilled, and they'll be pretty bang on balanced too. They'll be about 6mm I believe... but I don't think you'll really get away without getting longer studs put in. Even if you only extend them by 3-4mm, you'll have a good compromise between the old and new wheels when you want to change. The nuts should still fit on with your older wheels, and also with the new wheels. Don't think you'll get away with that if you go to 10mm.

Dammit, I'm rambling and just bored myself...