Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starlet Gt Gearbox/lsd Help !

starletgt_48

Hey everyone!

Iv got a Starlet gt turbo, which i bought recently.

The problem:-

When turning at junction for example (not always on full lock), the wheels stutter and it makes a knocking sound from near the driveshaft/gearbox area? Also when i put my foot down if im going straight its fine but when i make a slight turn right or left, the car pulls to the same side and when it does this i obviously turn steering to opposite side and then it seems to pull to that side. Its not a usual pull, its like as soon as i make the slight turn the wheels get locked in that direction then the the other direction same again.

Iv had my mechanic take a look and he says its the gearbox. And another mechanic has said the same and that the LSD is playing up (wear).

However a 3rd person has said that its the LSD, causing the sounds,and its normal. But personally i feel it shoudnt make sounds and pull upon acceleration coz its a bit dangerous ??? Surely LSD makes it more safer?

Also i remember person i bought the car from told me that the car has an uprated LSD, said the LSD isn't a standard one?

Please can anyone give me some more advice...

Thanx guys

Some Starlets had a LSD (limited slip differential) as standard, but other companies offered an upgrade for the standard gearbox.

Look at the VIN plate and tell me what it says for transmission on it...

Iv got a Starlet gt turbo, which i bought recently.

The problem:-

When turning at junction for example (not always on full lock), the wheels stutter and it makes a knocking sound from near the driveshaft/gearbox area? Also when i put my foot down if im going straight its fine but when i make a slight turn right or left, the car pulls to the same side and when it does this i obviously turn steering to opposite side and then it seems to pull to that side. Its not a usual pull, its like as soon as i make the slight turn the wheels get locked in that direction then the the other direction same again.

Iv had my mechanic take a look and he says its the gearbox. And another mechanic has said the same and that the LSD is playing up (wear).

However a 3rd person has said that its the LSD, causing the sounds,and its normal. But personally i feel it shoudnt make sounds and pull upon acceleration coz its a bit dangerous ??? Surely LSD makes it more safer?

Also i remember person i bought the car from told me that the car has an uprated LSD, said the LSD isn't a standard one?

Please can anyone give me some more advice...

Thanx guys

can I refer you to the other thread in this forum asking the same question. I replied with a question there.

Oh yes mate...

Im at work in the office (lol). So i coudn't email you. I was hoping to check my VIN plate after work or on my break. Just wanted to change topic title for mor attention? I'l email you on your email asa i check the VIN plate. (Not on your hotmail).

Are you a mechanic by profession by the way?

Thanx

• 3 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links