Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Please - T3-x

hawaythelads

Hi I wonder if anyone out there can give me any guidance on this one.

I currently have an 02 Avensis GS 1.8 5door and am looking to change in early April. I am currently considering two cars, Celica and Avensis T3-x.

I have posted on the Celica forum about that car and now have some questions about the T3-x. I've already discounted the T3-s as I intend to buy satnav for my pda and use it that way, bonus is with this solution we can use it in my gf's Corolla T2 too.

What are common faults, problems, things to look out for with the T3-x, if I choose it, the car will at least be an 05. Does the parcel shelf in the 5 door version rattle and cause as much annoyance as the 02 GS. I#m gonna have another test drive but really would like to hear from some owners what their experiences of the car have been.

Thanks

Andrew

Had a 'sol' (t3-x and a little bit) from new last summer. 2.0 litre estate. Only thing so far has been that the heated driver's side wing mirror seemed inefficient and the glass with heater was replaced straight away. MPG 33 at worst, 39 at best, 38 not too tricky to get in combination.

The 1.6 and 1.8 petrols are different to other models that they have electronic as opposed to hydraulic PAS. I prefer hydraulic as it's less twitchy.

Directional stability can be poor with Toyota's recommended 2.2 bar in the tyres. 2.4 to 2.5 all round is better in the view of many -- my dealer has just returned my car with the winter tyres at 2.5 bar and put it in writing in the report (2.2. bar also recommended by Toyota for winter tyres). Take this into consideration if you find the Avensis a bit of a wanderer.

I guess if you're buying nearly new, you can check the last owner's attitude by seeing if he/she bothered with the first optional 1,000 -- 3,000 km (what miles?) oil change or even factor a late one into the purchase price.

It's an estate, but no rattles from the pull-over cover for the boot space or elsewhere.

Overall I'm delighted -- very cosy, drives well, reliable. Love the auto-dimming rear view miror. Have tested the traction control and VSC quite well here in Finland and have to reluctantly admit that they work superbly and really improve the way the car drives and stays well in control.

I have a 2.0 Diesel Colour Collection Hatch (T2 with metallic!) 2005 and I love it. I too would say 35PSI/2.4-2.5 bar in all tyres gives better stability and control. No rattles or leaks.

Good points (IMHO)

!Removed! huge boot! :)

Extremely safe.

Fairly priced.

Decent stereo system - sound wise.

Enough punch for normal driving.

Comfortable... Like driving a sofa down the road, for driver AND passengers.

Door slam sounds nice! :lol:

Gripes? Only minor ones.

Not MP3 capable... yet!

You get "rained on" when the roof is wet and you open the door!

Some of the interior plastics are a bit naff (handbrake "gaiter", centre console/armrest/bucket thingy) might be better in the T3 onwards. (I just needed a relatively cheap, safe car with a big boot so the Colour Collection edition hit the nail.)

Wing mirrors are (now) a slightly lighter shade of green than the body but it's a close call. (Get Silver or Black! ;))

Only getting 42-43mpg (as opposed to 48mpg) but I don't do a great deal of MWay driving, mostly A & B roads for me, so that's probably about right. Plus Mansfields full of traffic lights and roadworks, which doesn't help.

Hey JA, you got Kielder Green as well? Top colour IMO and quite rare (exclusive) No major hassles for me. Minor ones? well Like JAHill doors, and boot dump water inside when opened. Other than that, I'd say go and get!!

Hey JA, you got Kielder Green as well? Top colour IMO and quite rare (exclusive) No major hassles for me. Minor ones? well Like JAHill doors, and boot dump water inside when opened. Other than that, I'd say go and get!!

I wish... Just the usual Silver Fern. ;)

Oh yeah I see, it is a bit greenish, silver fern innit? :rolleyes: My mistake. Hey that means mine is even MORE exclusive :D :D

Great car mine is a treat. Its a fun car to drive very quiet and relaxing. MPG from the 1.8 at worst i've had 33 at best 45 on average i'm getting 40. I cannot fault this car at all just wish i had the extra pennies to get the t-spirit but from me its avensis all the way. I seem to find my self getting me keys for the shortest of trips i love the car that much and i always find myself looking back over my shoulder at the car has i walk away. Kielder green is the colour to have it lookes well smart imo.

Well thank you Steve I'm glad you agree about the colour. When its washed, it looks the dogs............ :drool:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links