Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water, Water Everywhere..........

gcopland

I have just discovered about 2" of water in the between the outer and inner wing on the nearside, and a bit of water in the wheel well. Reading some old posts it has been suggested that the water could be coming through the vent in the inner wing behind the rear bumper. Does anybody know if this is the case and what the fix is (is it just a case of resealing the vent?). I like to get it sorted as it looks as though it has been happening for a while from the amount of water. Also, in the same place on the offside in the jack storage it is slightly damp there too, suggesting it could well be the vents.

has your car got a sunroof? if so check the pipe either side of the boot exits outside the car. mate of mine had one where these pipes pulled into the boot, filled up surprisngly quickly

has your car got a sunroof? if so check the pipe either side of the boot exits outside the car. mate of mine had one where these pipes pulled into the boot, filled up surprisngly quickly

No sunroof. Did speak to my local dealer this evening who said that the vents behind the bumper would be the first place to look (the seal around the vent perishes). He also said that it could be the light cluster but that it is very rare that the clusters leak. I'll give it a go anyway and see what happens, now all I need is some good weather...............

I had exactly this problem after a repair to the rear quarter of my 2002 Avensis not long after I bought the car new. The problem was the seal of the rear light unit which hadn't reseated properly when the light was refitted. This caused the spare wheel well and space between outer and inner wing to fill up alarmingly quickly. The light unit was removed and refitted paying proper attention to making sure the seal was correct and I've never had a problem since.........

I had exactly this problem after a repair to the rear quarter of my 2002 Avensis not long after I bought the car new. The problem was the seal of the rear light unit which hadn't reseated properly when the light was refitted. This caused the spare wheel well and space between outer and inner wing to fill up alarmingly quickly. The light unit was removed and refitted paying proper attention to making sure the seal was correct and I've never had a problem since.........

Cheers Spanners,

Thats the next thing to check. I took the rear bumper off the weekend and took both vents out, cleaned up and resealed them. However, today (21/02/06) there is still water getting in. In taking the bumper off I did notice that the car has taken a nudge on that side (old crease in bumper, never noticed before), probably into a post. Nothing major, but made me think that perhaps the light unit has also been replaced. So I'll take the light unit out and try that next.

Cheers Spanners,

Thats the next thing to check. I took the rear bumper off the weekend and took both vents out, cleaned up and resealed them. However, today (21/02/06) there is still water getting in. In taking the bumper off I did notice that the car has taken a nudge on that side (old crease in bumper, never noticed before), probably into a post. Nothing major, but made me think that perhaps the light unit has also been replaced. So I'll take the light unit out and try that next.

toyota finally fixed mine by resealing all the joints in boot with silicone (the crean stuff

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, spare tyre area filled with water every time after washing the car. Toyota dealer first tried to reseal and silicone rear light, but this didn´t help. Then they finally found out it was by the rails at the roof the water entered the car. After resealing the rails, the problem was gone.

I had the same problem, spare tyre area filled with water every time after washing the car. Toyota dealer first tried to reseal and silicone rear light, but this didn´t help. Then they finally found out it was by the rails at the roof the water entered the car. After resealing the rails, the problem was gone.

Cheers for that, still got water coming in even after resealing the light unit. I did pull the trim on the roof back bu I can't see anything obvious. Could be worth removing and filling with silicone before replaing to see what happens. Anyways, back to the drawing board........

You are obviously having a great deal of trouble with this.

Now here's an idea that maybe way out there in madland.

If you can fit in the boot ---------yes, bear with me------------with a torch and a box of tissues (for finding a leak that you can't see) and getting someone to slosh water all over it with a hose or something, maybe, just maybe you could find the source of the leak.

Its ok you can laugh if you want, I'm a man all growed up. :huh:

You are obviously having a great deal of trouble with this.

Now here's an idea that maybe way out there in madland.

If you can fit in the boot ---------yes, bear with me------------with a torch and a box of tissues (for finding a leak that you can't see) and getting someone to slosh water all over it with a hose or something, maybe, just maybe you could find the source of the leak.

Its ok you can laugh if you want, I'm a man all growed up. :huh:

It's getting close to that I must admit. Trouble is, because of where the water is collecting it may difficult find where it is coming from.

• 5 weeks later...

I have just discovered about 2" of water in the between the outer and inner wing on the nearside, and a bit of water in the wheel well. Reading some old posts it has been suggested that the water could be coming through the vent in the inner wing behind the rear bumper. Does anybody know if this is the case and what the fix is (is it just a case of resealing the vent?). I like to get it sorted as it looks as though it has been happening for a while from the amount of water. Also, in the same place on the offside in the jack storage it is slightly damp there too, suggesting it could well be the vents.

hi there. there is a issue with water getting in to the boot of avensis. not through the vent or the boot seal. if you remove both rear lights you will see a hole in the body work at the base of each lamp about 6mm in diameter seal hole with dum dum putty and your problem will be resolved.( I have forgot how much i have repaired in the past year or so)

hi there. there is a issue with water getting in to the boot of avensis. not through the vent or the boot seal. if you remove both rear lights you will see a hole in the body work at the base of each lamp about 6mm in diameter seal hole with dum dum putty and your problem will be resolved.( I have forgot how much i have repaired in the past year or so)

I have just bought a 2000 1.8 VVTI hatchback (no sunroof) and have also found a flooded boot. Drained it and removed most of the lining then sat in the boot with an assistant hosing various parts of the outside. Water was dripping in from between the inner and outer offside rear wings - right from the back top point of the wing, but only when the hose was aimed at the roof. Removed rear lights and resealed with silicon (no sign of hole mentioned above), also applied silicon to all hinges etc around the boot opening. Still leaking :angry: Thinking of removing the roof seal next, even though it looks OK. Cant work out how the water gets to the very back corner, above the light (no signs of any pinholes). Spent hours on it so far - can't let a lousy water leak beat me without a fight though :ffs: Any ideas worth further pursuit???

I have just bought a 2000 1.8 VVTI hatchback (no sunroof) and have also found a flooded boot. Drained it and removed most of the lining then sat in the boot with an assistant hosing various parts of the outside. Water was dripping in from between the inner and outer offside rear wings - right from the back top point of the wing, but only when the hose was aimed at the roof. Removed rear lights and resealed with silicon (no sign of hole mentioned above), also applied silicon to all hinges etc around the boot opening. Still leaking :angry: Thinking of removing the roof seal next, even though it looks OK. Cant work out how the water gets to the very back corner, above the light (no signs of any pinholes). Spent hours on it so far - can't let a lousy water leak beat me without a fight though :ffs: Any ideas worth further pursuit???

You and me both! Still can't find where the water is coming from on mine either. Done the same as you and had all the trim off etc. Can't find any leaks, can't find any signs of leaks either (apart from the cavity between the wings filling up!). Tried all the usual things and had the rear bumper off to take out the vent in the wing to reseal it. I also have no holes under the light unit either, don't know where that came from, older model avensis perhaps? Anyway, I'm going to take the bumper off again and seal up the vent completely to see if that works. Will let you know what happens when I get the chance to do it.

You and me both! Still can't find where the water is coming from on mine either. Done the same as you and had all the trim off etc. Can't find any leaks, can't find any signs of leaks either (apart from the cavity between the wings filling up!). Tried all the usual things and had the rear bumper off to take out the vent in the wing to reseal it. I also have no holes under the light unit either, don't know where that came from, older model avensis perhaps? Anyway, I'm going to take the bumper off again and seal up the vent completely to see if that works. Will let you know what happens when I get the chance to do it.

I think I might have cured it - fingers crossed!! Took the boot seal off and rotated it 180 degrees and refitted. Also applied some black silicon to the right roof seal strip without removing it - rubbed it neatly along with my finger. Anyway, the hose pipe test has worked and I will give it a few more days to see if my joy lasts till after the bank holiday - it's bound to rain heavy sometime over easter. If it does work then you may need to do the same (sealing the passenger side roof seal instead) - I reckno the leak is most likely around the rear door hatch seal, up by the top hinges. Either way it is not very good on a late generation car - something we all got used to on 1970/80's British Leyland and the like!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad I've stumbled across this site (thanks google !) ......

I've got the exact same problem with my 2000 Avensis, which I bought off my dad 3 years ago. He'd owned it from new and then bought himself the newer Avensis model.

Anyway, 3 weeks ago I decided to empty and tidy up my boot in readiness for filling it with suitcases for a family holiday run to the airport. After clearing it out I noticed lots of things were soaking wet and on lifting the boot floor up discovered the spare wheel well full of water as well as in both the right and left inner wings. Well over a buckets worth !! It had obviously been accumulating for some time and explains why on occasions the back window used to mist up and in recent times after a warm day the car smelt musty.

After clearing it up and keeping it dry I took it to the airport and parked it up for 2 weeks with the boot floor cover left up. On returning, sure enough there was a moderate amount of water in both inner wings, but none in the spare wheel well. This suggests to me that the water in the spare wheel well gets in there from sloshing over the wings during transit - which is indeed what happened after my 40 mile drive home as I had no means of cleaning the water out of the wings whilst at the airport car park.

So, that begs the question - how exactly does water manage to accumulate in both wings !!!???? The water has gotten in under pure gravity following a rainfall cos it never moved for the whole 2 weeks, and so issues with water spray from the road etc can be ruled out.

Does this information spread new light on this annoying issue !?? All replies greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

KB

I've got the exact same problem with my 2000 Avensis, which I bought off my dad 3 years ago. He'd owned it from new and then bought himself the newer Avensis model.

Anyway, 3 weeks ago I decided to empty and tidy up my boot in readiness for filling it with suitcases for a family holiday run to the airport. After clearing it out I noticed lots of things were soaking wet and on lifting the boot floor up discovered the spare wheel well full of water as well as in both the right and left inner wings. Well over a buckets worth !! It had obviously been accumulating for some time and explains why on occasions the back window used to mist up and in recent times after a warm day the car smelt musty.

After clearing it up and keeping it dry I took it to the airport and parked it up for 2 weeks with the boot floor cover left up. On returning, sure enough there was a moderate amount of water in both inner wings, but none in the spare wheel well. This suggests to me that the water in the spare wheel well gets in there from sloshing over the wings during transit - which is indeed what happened after my 40 mile drive home as I had no means of cleaning the water out of the wings whilst at the airport car park.

So, that begs the question - how exactly does water manage to accumulate in both wings !!!???? The water has gotten in under pure gravity following a rainfall cos it never moved for the whole 2 weeks, and so issues with water spray from the road etc can be ruled out.

Does this information spread new light on this annoying issue !?? All replies greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

KB

Hi,

It helps me a little bit, thanks. But I still have no idea where it is coming from. Thought I had found the problem, me and a mate had all the trim off inside and then sprayed the car with a hose. Shut the boot lid and sprayed water into the gaps one by one, then the rear light, petrol filler etc... and checked for water after each one. Wasn't until water was sprayed under the arch water came in through the top of the suspension strut. Hurrah, problem solved. NOT! Rained today (01/05/06), don't know what made me do it but I checked inside the wing for water, you guessed it, WET!

So, as you say, it can't be coming from underneath the car as I thought. The rear light unit has been off and sealed with silicone, the hatch bump stop has also been off and sealed. I have now put silicone around the gas strut mounting to see if this works. Next thing I'll try is taking the boot seal off and putting some seem seal on first and then putting the rubber back if the latter doesn't work. There has been mention of taking off the boot seal, rotating it 180 degrees and putting it back on, can't really see how that will cure anything myself, still, might be worth a go.

Nevermind, back to the drawing board..........................

Cheers,

KB

Hi,

It helps me a little bit, thanks. But I still have no idea where it is coming from. Thought I had found the problem, me and a mate had all the trim off inside and then sprayed the car with a hose. Shut the boot lid and sprayed water into the gaps one by one, then the rear light, petrol filler etc... and checked for water after each one. Wasn't until water was sprayed under the arch water came in through the top of the suspension strut. Hurrah, problem solved. NOT! Rained today (01/05/06), don't know what made me do it but I checked inside the wing for water, you guessed it, WET!

So, as you say, it can't be coming from underneath the car as I thought. The rear light unit has been off and sealed with silicone, the hatch bump stop has also been off and sealed. I have now put silicone around the gas strut mounting to see if this works. Next thing I'll try is taking the boot seal off and putting some seem seal on first and then putting the rubber back if the latter doesn't work. There has been mention of taking off the boot seal, rotating it 180 degrees and putting it back on, can't really see how that will cure anything myself, still, might be worth a go.

Hi all,

My Avensis has suffered from both water ingress problems, ie into the spare wheel well and into the offside space between inner and outer rear wing.

When I bought the car from a Toyota main dealer at 2 years old I was told that it had never been involved in an accident. About six months later I discovered water in the spare wheel well so I complained to the dealer. The workshop manager said that the vehicle had been involved in a rear end accident and leaks sometimes happened due to opened seals in the rear. So much for an honest salesman!

The dealer had the car for a few days and returned it with new sealant around most of the boot area. This seemed to have improved the matter and, when I installed parking sensors a few weeks later I made certain that every possible entry point was sealed. So far it is dry.

However, just before last Christmas I had a puncture and guess what, the jack well and the space between the inner and outer wing was full of water. I emptied and dried it as soon as possible and investigated where the water was coming from. I could run a hose as long as I liked all around the hatch door and lights with no water entry. After driving through a heavy rain storm, next time I looked in the boot the jack well and space between inner and outer wings was full of water.

I tried removing and replacing very carefully the offside rear light unit to no avail. A few weeks ago I noticed that the mudflap at the rear of the back wheel was not very secure at its upper mounting point. Basically it seemed that the screw was too long to actually screw up tight. I added a thick rubber washer to ensure that I did not damage the plastic of the flap and tightened it up. Since then I have travelled several hundred miles in the rain and the area is bone dry. Presumably there is an opening into which water passes when it is sprayed by the tyre.

Hope that this might help.

Bye.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

KB

Hi,

Hi all,

My Avensis has suffered from both water ingress problems, ie into the spare wheel well and into the offside space between inner and outer rear wing.

When I bought the car from a Toyota main dealer at 2 years old I was told that it had never been involved in an accident. About six months later I discovered water in the spare wheel well so I complained to the dealer. The workshop manager said that the vehicle had been involved in a rear end accident and leaks sometimes happened due to opened seals in the rear. So much for an honest salesman!

The dealer had the car for a few days and returned it with new sealant around most of the boot area. This seemed to have improved the matter and, when I installed parking sensors a few weeks later I made certain that every possible entry point was sealed. So far it is dry.

However, just before last Christmas I had a puncture and guess what, the jack well and the space between the inner and outer wing was full of water. I emptied and dried it as soon as possible and investigated where the water was coming from. I could run a hose as long as I liked all around the hatch door and lights with no water entry. After driving through a heavy rain storm, next time I looked in the boot the jack well and space between inner and outer wings was full of water.

I tried removing and replacing very carefully the offside rear light unit to no avail. A few weeks ago I noticed that the mudflap at the rear of the back wheel was not very secure at its upper mounting point. Basically it seemed that the screw was too long to actually screw up tight. I added a thick rubber washer to ensure that I did not damage the plastic of the flap and tightened it up. Since then I have travelled several hundred miles in the rain and the area is bone dry. Presumably there is an opening into which water passes when it is sprayed by the tyre.

Bye.

My leak has not returned since my efforts around the boots seal (see previous comments). However it is still interesting to monitor others progress and frustrations. With so many ways for water to get into an Avensis it makes me wonder who exactly was in charge of quality control and road testing the factory concept car before it went into full production. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

KB

Hi,

Hi all,

Bye.

My leak has not returned since my efforts around the boots seal (see previous comments). However it is still interesting to monitor others progress and frustrations. With so many ways for water to get into an Avensis it makes me wonder who exactly was in charge of quality control and road testing the factory concept car before it went into full production. :huh:

hi i have also found a leak in my 2001 avensis. It is seeping through the inner boot joint.

How should i go about sealing it?

What silacone to use and where can i purchase it from?

does the old silcone need to come off?

How can i get the silicone between the joint rather than on the actual joint?

Many thanks?

ps was quoted £80 for a repair on this is that a ripp off or fair?

I have had a similar problem with water ingressing, when driven in rain flooded roads, into the both inner wing areas in the boot of my new shape Avensis. The dealer, under warranty, did a "water test" and found that some seals in that area are not doing their job, so they changed them. I don't know whether this has cured the problem as I haven't driven the car in rain yet.

• 5 months later...

I have had problems like the above with an avensis though they seemed to have just stopped (1998 1.8 GS Estate). Also had a similar problem with the spare tire well of my LS400 filling with water. It turned out that the seal around the boot was a little hardened due to age. By putting electrical insulating tape opposite the rubber seal (on the boot lid), this caused a good enough seal to solve the problem.

I have no water ingress into my boot & I believe it's down to tailgate setting onto boot seal.

My tailgate rattles slightly when cold so decided to adjust setting. Loosened striker plate ( not completely )& adjusted downwards manually then a bit further with a heavy mallet & retightened. This seems to compress seal further & prevents any leaks.

• 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem on by 2002 1.8 VVTi with water appearing to be entering in the very back corner above the light and I cannot see where water could be getting in. Did you manage to resolve it on yours. If so, I would be really grateful to hear about your solution. Likewise, if annyone else has resolved this problem, I would really like to hear from you!

I have exactly the same problem on by 2002 1.8 VVTi with water appearing to be entering in the very back corner above the light and I cannot see where water could be getting in. Did you manage to resolve it on yours. If so, I would be really grateful to hear about your solution. Likewise, if annyone else has resolved this problem, I would really like to hear from you!

Davepi,

Still not resolved the problem with mine, water is still coming in and I still have no idea where from (although it is getting narrowed down). Next step is to stip all the trim off the inside and have a look when it's raining, given where the water is collecting it's really frustrating not to be able to see where the source is.