Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Error Code "59"

Lozza

Hi All,

After 50,000 miles of trouble-free Yaris action, sadly the engine warning light has appeared :(

Well this is a bit of a crazy problem, as it first came on a couple of weeks ago. I took it to Mr.T near London where I was told that it would cost me £94 just to diagnose the fault - I walked out in disgust! Crazy thing is that as soon as I turned the key in the Toyota car park, the light had gone out!!! I breathed a sigh of relief and since have had no other light action - until today.

When I got home I used the self-diagnose guide posted by Yvvan and returned an Error code of... 59

Only problem is I can't find any reference to what error 59 relates to anywhere.

Can anyone help please????

I don't know if this may relate but before the sensor came on I filled the tank up at Shell. Also over the past year I have kinda noticed a drop in performance - a kinda torque lag but thought this was nothing or just me imagining things. I regularly get the Yaris serviced and the air filter is clean.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Laurie

Hiya, when I speak to Yvvan at the weekend I will ask him to see if he knows but there may be other people that get here first who know it ;)

Error P059 = Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S), bank 2, sensor 1 - heater resistance

It seems you have a faulty oxygen sensor or there is a problem with its wiring. The drop in performance you noticed is what you should expect from such a problem...

Error P059 = Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S), bank 2, sensor 1 - heater resistance

It seems you have a faulty oxygen sensor or there is a problem with its wiring. The drop in performance you noticed is what you should expect from such a problem...

Ah there's the answer then it seems ;)

Good one Biofotos :thumbsup:

yup i agree, should be your air flow meter that needs changing, i infact had mine fixed yesterday, i always had a lag in power, i took it to toyota and they fixed the problem £180 all in. the air flow meter costs something like £86 i think, but the labour charge was like £65 ph, so best off going to Toyota to buy the part and then take it to your local garage and get them to fix it, should only be a bout £25 or £30 at the max.

dont buy anything yet!!! just a can of carb cleaner. take out the maf sensor on the top of the pipe going into the airbox (2 small caphead bolts) and at the bottom of the stem (in between the plastic) theres the sensor (black teardrop looking) give it all a good spray and clean with the carb cleaner. if that doesn't help then look at replacing the sensor

Or even better fit it yourself. Not difficult.

Working from memory it's only a couple of screws and a wire harness connector. Disconnect the wire harness, remove the screws, move well out of the way (just so you don't drop down the intake system). remove the air flow meter and fit the new one in place. reverse the procedure above. 5 Minute job tops

yup i agree, should be your air flow meter that needs changing, i infact had mine fixed yesterday, i always had a lag in power, i took it to toyota and they fixed the problem £180 all in. the air flow meter costs something like £86 i think, but the labour charge was like £65 ph, so best off going to Toyota to buy the part and then take it to your local garage and get them to fix it, should only be a bout £25 or £30 at the max.

damn it! i cudda done it myself lolz, i just never thought that the air flow meter was there, i kept imagining it was somewhere under the car i couldnt reach! stupid me lolz

It has to be between the throttle body and the air filter (before the air filter and you wouldn't get the effects of the obstruction of the filter, before the throttle body since that regulates the air flow) If you follow the air hoses around you'll find it

isnt the AFM and the o2 sensor the same thing? sorry, i'm not good with engines and stuff like that lolz, just into bodywork and designs. but yups, my problem was that car always seemed like it was gonna stall even when i had foot down and also it was lagging in power, had some scary times on roundabouts where i was tryin to set off and it would just leak off the line slowly lolz. now changed the AFM n all is fine

The O2 sensor is detecting the amount of oxygen/fuel coming out of the back. If it's detecting the wrong amount it causes a fault condition to occur that could be the O2 sensor but it could be a lot of other problems, chief amongst them being air flow meter problems

When you press the gas pedal, the TPS (throttle position sensor) sends a signal to the ECU. The engine is sucking air. The mass of this air is calculated via the signal that sends to the ECU the AFM (air flow meter). The ECU then, calculates the correct amount of gas the injector have to give in order to have a normal combustion in the chamber and the spark advance. After all these, the exhaust gases go through the O2 sensor which calculates the amount of O2 that there have been left in the exhaust gases. This signal is used from the ECU to cross-check that everything went ok.

Unfortunately if a sensor of all these is malfunctioning, the car is stalling :censor:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links