Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Gearbox Oil

MIP

I seem to get the occasional crunch going into gear (and its usually third). Its not too often, and tends to be when its cold. However, I'd like to change the gearbox oil to try and prevent it and look after the car, but I couldn't afford to have it done at my last service with the other work it needed.

A friend o mine has the facilities to lift the car, so what I need to know is:

a ) How I drain the old oil, what do I do with it?

b ) Can I put anything through for cleaning?

c ) How do I fill it up again?

d ) What oil do I use, where do I get it from?

Is there anything else I could/should do here? What is 'syncro-mesh' I've heard mentioned?

Never had to do it on the Celica but it general

a ) remove oil drain plug

b ) don't know

c ) there is normally a filler just above half way, which you fill up until it dribbles out.

d ) gearbox oil :lol: - not sure on the rating it should be in the manual or on the autodata CD

Syncro Mesh is the type of gearbox used, makes it easy to change gear. So you don't have to double declucth and match road speed to revs etc when changing gear. AFAIK just about every gearbox is syncro since about 1970.

You could try MolySlip in the oil which is supposed to stop occasional grinding etc.

look for a nut about 24mm in diameter , there are 2 one at the bottom of the box also one on the front facing you .undo the bottom one and drain it. its probably grey and minging , replace the plug , undo the top plug ( filler ) you may use a funnel with some hose attached and pour down hill through the engine bay , or squirt uphill with the pipe on the bottle . you need 75/90 gearbox oil about £8 from the dealers or shop around for other makes. fill it run it then drain it again if you want , then fill once more will flush it

you also should consider replacing the rubber bushes on the gear change cables with roller bearings , i did my gt4 and the brass inserts were oval making changes awkward .now with roller bearings , gear changes are as sweet as - good luck

I did this a while ago as I was having problems getting into 1st and second gear. The jobs pretty easy MIP and squeezing the oil in with the tube on the bottle from under the car wasn't too tricky. It has helped a bit but the problem is still there. I'm thinking of putting an additive in there as i've seen this recommended on some other posts about this problem.

Gearbox Additive

Booster - how can i check the rubber bushes and brass inserts you mention. Is it easy to check if they need replacing? :unsure:

thanks,

Kevin

you have to look manually by taking them off the gearbox end and inspecting them

Cheers for the help people :)

I've been looking at oils and there seem to be a few brands out there, any recomendations on what to go for?

Also, this molyslip stuff, just looking on eBay for it as my local halford don't seem to do it.

There's this stuff:

50/50 mix

Or this stuff:

Small amount of additive

Which one should I go for?

Also, on a side note, I saw this:

Molyslip Engine restore

With some big claims with it. It says that it coats the engine, fills in scratches and magically fixes everything. Well maybe not, but it might help sotal and others with the 7AFE - Oil loss problem perhaps?

Cheers for the help people :)

I've been looking at oils and there seem to be a few brands out there, any recomendations on what to go for?

Also, this molyslip stuff, just looking on ebay for it as my local halford don't seem to do it.

There's this stuff:

50/50 mix

Or this stuff:

Small amount of additive

Which one should I go for?

Yeah....would be great if people could recommend an additive they've used :yes: I'll prob get the small tube of molyslip as I've changed the oil already.

I've not done it yet. After payday, I'll order the oil n molyslip. Cheers for the diagram sotal!

And thanks for the recommendation leeky, will have a look online see where I can get that ordered from.

added a tube of molyslip to the gearbox yesterday and it seems to have worked a treat :D

I know it doesn't solve the problem if its worn syncros but should keep my happy for a while. All gear changes feel a bit smoother in fact. Still sticks a bit if I put it into first when rolling to a stop with the clutch in, tend to have to wait till almost stopped to get it in. this might be a bad habit i've picked up from driving Hondas as it was never a problem with them and maybe you're not really supposed to do that :unsure:

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Hope you have similar result MIP. :thumbsup: