Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sound Deadening, Started But Advice Needed...

vandalbull

Hi all,

as you can see from the pictures below, I have started to Sound deaden my rav.

I have put the flashing (as reccommended on the forum) all over the 'inner skin' of the door (the bit nearest the road!).

My question is, are you supposed to cover the hard-to-reach 'outer skin as well?

Any help would be greatly received.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/van.../Picture040.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/van.../Picture036.jpg

In a word - yes - in fact that is the only bit I did on mine (the inside of the outer skin) as it stops the road noise drumming on the large metal surface. The part you are doing will be good for speaker sound quality though I think as it will create a sound box arrangement (hope that is the right terminology as I'm no expert ...).

Are they standard speaker in the pic - if not which ones are they as I need to upgrade mine at some point.

Andy.

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. The Speakers I have in the picture are Alpine SPR-17LP's which I had installed earlier in the week to both front and rear. They were recommended elswhere on the forum (I think by Prince). A number of different set-ups had been tried but these seemed to be the best. There was some alteration needed at the front (something to do with spacers, again info can be found in the forum). The sound was instantly improved over the original 'paper cones'. Since the images were taken (Saturday), I have finished the deadening to all doors on both inner and outer skins, the rear (boot) door and the whole of the boot area. In summary, I HAVE MUCH BETTER BASS!!! The overall quality of the sound has shot up too (even my wife said how much better it was and she couldn't care less!!!). I am still going to search around for tweeter upgrades as I like a little more treble, i'll probably end up with the Toyota ones as they are the easiest to install but are around £80 all in!

I recommend the Alpine's any day.

Hope this helps!

Yes - even the soundproofing I did made a big difference - and your looks very thorough - well done.

Thanks for the speaker info. - guess I will go for those too - did you have to cut off the original plugs and if so how do you know which wire connects to which new speaker terminal - as you can tell it is a long time since I played with Speakers !!

I will dig out the Toyota tweeter info. I have somewhere tomorrow - it did not come to £80 I am sure it was nearer £50 - must admit they made a bit of difference to the original system - though I thought the Alpines had buit-in tweeters - or was that the Pioneers - been reading up on it so much I am going round in circles now :D

Yes - even the soundproofing I did made a big difference - and your looks very thorough - well done.

Thanks for the speaker info. - guess I will go for those too - did you have to cut off the original plugs and if so how do you know which wire connects to which new speaker terminal - as you can tell it is a long time since I played with speakers !!

I will dig out the Toyota tweeter info. I have somewhere tomorrow - it did not come to £80 I am sure it was nearer £50 - must admit they made a bit of difference to the original system - though I thought the Alpines had buit-in tweeters - or was that the Pioneers - been reading up on it so much I am going round in circles now :D

The Alpines have built in tweeters but unless I get corrected I believe the treble travels in a straight line and as the Speakers are at ankle high, not sure if you get the same results as having them higher up (or is this nonsense?!).

Sorry for the delay in replying - just looked up the tweeter info looks like you were right re: price (just don't let my missus find out ! :P ):

Part numbers (for 2004 5dr Granite) - worth double checking before ordering:

86160-42090 speaker - rh

86160-42100 speaker - lh

67491-42040 channel (cover)

67492-42040 channel (cover)

Prices:

Tweeters are £28.30 each +vat

Covers (channels) are £10.00 each +vat

So easy to fit as wiring connector already under door panel.

One thing - can you tell me whether you have to cut the Toyota speaker connectors off when fitting the Aplines and which wire goes where if you did ...

Cheers

Andy.

Many thanks for the info AMH!

I had to cut the plug off to fit the Speakers and crimped on new spade connectors to fit.

I'll have to have another look at the wires to see which is which. I'll have a look over the weekend and get back to you!!

Ok, so I installed the Toyota tweeters today (I forgot to look at the wires configuration on the alpines so will have to check again when I get a moment, had a new baby this week so my head is up my proverbial!).

These are the images:

BEFORE:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/van.../Picture041.jpg

DURING:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/van.../Picture042.jpg

AFTER:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/van.../Picture044.jpg

Despite already having the Alpines in the doors with built-in tweeters, this mod makes A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE to the overall quality and definition of the sound. I recommend if you are upgrading, do not overlook this tweak...

Guy how easy was the sound deadening to do ? by the sounds and looks of it the outer skins will be the most difficult. vandalbull what difference did it make to the noise before you did the outer skins ? may have a go at this if its not to difficult

It took me around 1 and a half hours per door to do the deadening (Including the outer skins). I used flashing from wickes but there are a number of different solutions (like dynamat) available. Once I had removed the inner door panels and window controls (take care with this!), I just cut pieces to fit the door panel and applied them using a hair dryer. Take the care to remove any air bubbles which may be in there as this will lower the efficiency of the 'proofing. I also took the time to do the boot door and boot floor as they were both easy to access. Passengers in the rear tell me that it is oh-so-quiet!!!

Well recommended, take the plunge and you will benefit!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links