Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steam Clean

matt_hillyard

Hi all,

Now i know one of the ways to make the engine bay look a bit better is by getting it steam cleaned. However, i am aware that certain engines due to electronics etc means that its best not to do them if you want to continue driving them!

Is it safe to do a gen 2 seo lump??? Anyone done it??? Is it worth it???

I'd say no Matt. Just go to the motor factors and aquire the following:

Engine degreaser

Sponge

Brush

Tub of Elbow Grease

You'll have it looking like new in no time. :D

have to agree really. I got the engine steam cleaned on the Audi once and it didn't look much better. Plus the clocks went haywire for a couple of weeks.

Generally water and electronics don't go together.

Like Wild says, a selection of Autoglym products, a million old rags and some patience and hard work will give you the result you want with no problems.

yeah matt,

do it like all the other guys... an Put your back into it!

Steam cleaner.. is just a quick & easy job but i would NEVER do it to any of my cars..

anyway your engine isn't that dirty.. i recon 1/2 day will make it look mint mate!

Tim

Must admit i've had the Cynos steam cleaned & it worked a treat after a major oil leak.

But its up to you if you want to take the chance mate.

J

i would also like to add, that it's probably best if you do it in the hotter weather!

then it will dry out quicker...

.... Thats if you're doing it ;)

hmmmmm ok i think i have found what im doing over easter!! lol

Course i was gona do it my self Tim!!! you know im too hands on for my own good!!! lol

Ive been wanting a nice clean bay with polished bits so i think thats what i'll do!!! lol

As a bit of inspiration anyone got any beautiful pics of their own paseo engine bay or any pics of v sexy paseo bays???

cheers guys!

Matt

There is a difference between steam cleaning and pressure washing. Some people use the terms interchangably when they shouldn't

However, providing you make sure you don't have to use the car immediately afterwards you should be OK.

hmmm well i was looking at getting it steam cleaned by a local company! I think i might just get my butt in gear and do the work as it will give me a sense of pride in knowing i did it! lol

Ive heard of people getting water in the engine and plugs etc with steam cleaning which has always put me off of it!

Is this true?

CB :thumbsup:

I got a little bit of water down the plug holes, even though I covered them, took ages for me to clear it, every once in a while it would miss, it was more hassle than worth, the celi has loads of dust on it and could do with a blast but I dont think I will

• 1 month later...
:thumbsup: In New Zealand there are cheap do-it-yourself places where you can select low pressure chemi-clean, followed by rinse. Make sure you keep the wand moving quickly to avoid forcing into cracks. Worked a treat on my 175 000km Sera with oil-leak. No aftermath at all. :D

Take the car for a long drive first and get the engine hot, water will evaporate from they electrics quicker.

I've steam cleaned loads of cars under the bonnet. If they run like a bag of crap after the wash then there is an issue with the ignition system that needs addressing anyway. Just be gentle round the fuse box etc, best to unbolt all the bits attached to the firewall like the map sensor and fuse box etc, they you can clean it properly. Hitting it all with a load of GUNK OFF stuff in the orange tin makes it come up really clean in minutes, apply it with a new cheap paint brush.