Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Rav4

tomfraser

hi i test drove the new rav yesterday and it was awful,very slow,only had it out 5 mins when me and the wife just looked at each other and said lets take it back. has anyone else drove one...what are your thoughts?

well i can say i wont be wanting one of them :D

Currently own 2005 XT3 D4D with 7000 mls and checked out new RAV last week. XT3 poor spec. and not worth buying if you go off road or want safety of stability control and other important features. XT4 £23000 plus. :( :( :(

Used my current RAV in forrest yesterday to attend accident at car rally and was MORE than pleased with driving/handling when pushed on fairly rapidlyfor some 9 miles over surfaces that had already some 50 rally cars over it. :D :D :D

Apart from an Improved Interior & stronger diesel engines, I don’t think there is much else that the New RAV4 has that appeals to me. I definitely won’t trade in my 05 model for one, the main reasons for buying my current RAV was the Sporty looks, it’s great Drive and in the case for me the XT-R represented good value. The new RAV4 has none of these so it’s a Thumbs down from me on the New RAV4 as well.

I was visiting the local Toyota dealer earlier in the week and had a new style rav parked in the bay next to mine. The wife turned her nose up at the styling and I firmly believe my xt-r looks far sportier and sleeker than the new one.

For me, a thumbs down but a massive thumbs up to the best car I've ever owned, a 55 plate xt-r!!!

I looked at photos of the new RAV4 on the web and decided I didn't much care for the styling. Not only that, but unless they bring out a decent sized petrol engine version I probably won't even make the effort to go an look at one at my local dealers.

Just as well I love my 04 reg XT4 to bits and will be very happy to keep it for many years to come :D

I'm with the majorty on this one as well - I think the old model looks smarter - I haven't checked the new one out in the flesh, but I'll be surprised if I like the folding rear seat as much as the removeable ones I have now. OK it's a bit of a faff to lift them out every time I need to take half the house to the tip, but the space afterwards is just cavernous, and I have only ever needed one trip to take a pile of rubbish that covered the whole front garden - amazing the missus and the neighbours in the process.

I think I'll also miss the full time 4wd - I test drove a CRV in the wet and hated the way it lurched out of turnings with slipping front wheels then a whump as the 4wd kicked in - The Rav was sooo much better in this respect, no wheelspin at all no matter how hard you try!

The only thing I don't like about my current Rav is the cheap plastic interior and the fact it is a bit skittish in the wet on poor road surfaces - hopefully a new set of rubber should fix this.

I could be wrong about the new model, time will tell, but I'll probably be trading up to a larger 4*4 for my wife next time so I can ditch my BMW 5 Series for a convertible.

Bit of a change of subject but has anyone noticed how much the new Vitara looks like the outgoing RAV?,could they have made a wise move there do you think?

I noticed that when I first saw the car in the magazine at first I thought it was the updated RAV4. I think Suzuki will benefit more as a result of the New RAV4 the new Vitara’s looks are pretty good and the Diesel engine is not bad plus they have confirmed that they will launch the bigger petrol engine here as well, I won’t be surprised if Vitara does steal sales from the new RAV4.

I noticed that when I first saw the car in the magazine at first I thought it was the updated RAV4. I think Suzuki will benefit more as a result of the New RAV4 the new Vitara’s looks are pretty good and the Diesel engine is not bad plus they have confirmed that they will launch the bigger petrol engine here as well, I won’t be surprised if Vitara does steal sales from the new RAV4.

The Suzuki is cheaper as well.

The looks of a RAV, a good Deisel engine, Bigger Petrol (V6 I think) could well steal some sales from Toyota...

Looked around a new shape one and the front takes some getting used too (remember the Subaru Bug eye's) not to all taste or die hard fans of the old RAV4 shape.... :eek:

Inside looks good but the price hike does not. My VX has all the gadgets and comforts I need but to upgrade to new version would be costly...... Waiting for the 2.2 D4D to be a demo so I can see what it feels like compared to my 2.0 D4D

new diesels are much, much faster, and quieter. New interior is improved in every possible way. trunk is bigger and space is more usable. There is also more kit in every version compared to old...

Today I test drove the new rav4 diesel engine 177 horsepower-top spec.

The car is bigger than the previous models (I have a mkI facelifted) and roomier.

The ride and comfort is better.The reason i test drove the car was of course its engine.

Well,it is fast, and accelerates even from 60 mph and 6th gear.

It does very quicly the 40-60mph and 55-75 mph accelerations.

I didnt like the engine noise at acceleration and the run flat tyres.

What puts me off is the price.27 K for the one I drove and alsmost 30K with some extras I would like.

I have found the same car with 32000 euros in mobile.de

I think I would buy it from there cuz Toyota GB wont supply me a lhd.

Today I test drove the new rav4 diesel engine 177 horsepower-top spec.

The car is bigger than the previous models (I have a mkI facelifted) and roomier.

The ride and comfort is better.The reason i test drove the car was of course its engine.

Well,it is fast, and accelerates even from 60 mph and 6th gear.

It does very quicly the 40-60mph and 55-75 mph accelerations.

I didnt like the engine noise at acceleration and the run flat tyres.

What puts me off is the price.27 K for the one I drove and alsmost 30K with some extras I would like.

I have found the same car with 32000 euros in mobile.de

I think I would buy it from there cuz Toyota GB wont supply me a lhd.

Dimitrios,

You hit the nail on the head (As they say) the car is great but I think they have pitched the price wrong. :( :( waite a couple of more months and you could start to pick up a second hand New shape Dicovery for this amount.... far better car..(I know different leauge of 4x4) only time will tell...

Saw one today when we went to pick up the missus' RAV4. She didn't like the back-end or the lack of roof bars. Haven't had much of a look at the interior yet, but first impressions not great.

In addition to what's already been said have you noticed XT3 no longer has front fogs or sunroof, possibly more minor cost cutting items haven't yet noticed.

Pricing and equipment levels are wrong.

I wanted cruise control which is now only available on XT5 but don't need heated leather seats and £1200 of Sat Nav equipment.

If anyone was thinking of trading in for the New RAV, I would suggest waiting for the mid life facelift first as the equipment levels should be improved and feedback from customers, dealers and Motor Car Magazines regarding most of the dislikes about the car would’ve been addressed.

Well I haven';t driven one yet but had a good look at one of the new RAV's Today.....what the hell is the Renault Megane look to the back all about????? :censor: and to be honest the look of the rest of the RAV is pretty uninspiring too :( ,not what I expected from Toyota at all.

I think,having looked at both I would be sorely tempted to buy the New Vitara instead of a RAV :eek: . It looks better (very similar to the outgoing RAV),it's cheaper and it's got a decent Diesel too.

Had a test drive in the new RAV D4D 177 last friday, you get used to any new shape after a while.The 6 speed gerbox is super slick compared to the old one and the engine great.but £27,000 is to much. Traded in old RAV D4D for new black XT3 RAV D4D 140 £20,300 It will do all I want and should pull caravan no probs. Won't get it for 4 to 6 weeks and will let you all know how good or bad it is then.

‘What Car’ has a done a review for the new RAV4 giving it 3 Stars overall, their not a fan of the petrol engine saying it’s too noisy and will struggle in overtaking and also reckon the T180’s price cannot be justified, pick of the engines is the 2.2 134bhp diesel. Online version

They also did a group test and for the second time the new RAV4 has come third (‘Test Drive’ also did a group test in which it came third) although it did get 4 stars, it still wasn’t as good as the X-Trail or CR-V. And in the Readers Test most liked the RAV4 but apart from one they wouldn’t buy it.

I think compared to the launch of the previous versions of the RAV4 the new one doesn’t seems to be winning over as many people, and the previous one also did better in group tests.

My wife and I test drove both the new RAV as well as the 2005 model a few weeks back. Both excellent IMHO.

We went for the 2005 model (although actually brand new) because we liked the 3-door version. Like lots of other owners we were stunned that there appear to be no plans for a 3-door version of the 2006 model.

Our XT-R is simply superb. Drives like a dream and has lots of extras like cruise control, elctric sunroof, etc.....and it looks great!

Very happy with it.

:thumbsup:

My wife and I test drove both the new RAV as well as the 2005 model a few weeks back. Both excellent IMHO.

We went for the 2005 model (although actually brand new) because we liked the 3-door version. Like lots of other owners we were stunned that there appear to be no plans for a 3-door version of the 2006 model.

Our XT-R is simply superb. Drives like a dream and has lots of extras like cruise control, elctric sunroof, etc.....and it looks great!

Very happy with it.

:thumbsup:

Welcome to the club Old Bexley, good to see another late 3 door on the site :thumbsup: .

Thank you, kind sir. I shall endeavour to post some snaps. once I have time.

I have a lovely one of my wife at the wheel - may make it my avatar.

:)

Last week I test drove the T180 for a couple of hours and was impressed enough to want to buy one.

However, reading the posts on this site has made me change my mind. Judging by the consensus the residual value will be nil --no one would want to buy it!!

I can understand a liking for a particular styling, thats purely personal, but as for performance,spec, and price I'm bemused.

How many people have actually driven the car,-- the performance and especially the handling are superb!

Its extremely comfortable. The spec is very high.

I haven't heard complaints about the pricing of the XT5, -- this is only 2 1/2to3 grand more and thers a deal more diff. in performance!?

Last week I test drove the T180 for a couple of hours and was impressed enough to want to buy one.

However, reading the posts on this site has made me change my mind. Judging by the consensus the residual value will be nil --no one would want to buy it!!

I can understand a liking for a particular styling, thats purely personal, but as for performance,spec, and price I'm bemused.

How many people have actually driven the car,-- the performance and especially the handling are superb!

Its extremely comfortable. The spec is very high.

I haven't heard complaints about the pricing of the XT5, -- this is only 2 1/2to3 grand more and thers a deal more diff. in performance!?

Buy What Car they have a group test with the following diesels, X-Trail, CRV, Jeep, RAV4 XT3

And the RAV came 3rd just beat the Jeep.... and they said don't buy the T180 as the price is tooooooooooo much and is too near the BMW X3 price.......

The 138bhp is the better option. Or wait a couple of months and buy the T180 as a second owner.

They did show that the RAV should keep 65% of its cost though... which in my book is fantastic...

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

[buy What Car they have a group test with the following diesels, X-Trail, CRV, Jeep, RAV4 XT3

And the RAV came 3rd just beat the Jeep.... and they said don't buy the T180 as the price is tooooooooooo much and is too near the BMW X3 price.......

The 138bhp is the better option. Or wait a couple of months and buy the T180 as a second owner.

They did show that the RAV should keep 65% of its cost though... which in my book is fantastic...

I've read that review, autoexpress, parkers, etc, etc, probably a dozen reviews in total.

Other reviews describe it as a cut above rivals CRV, X-trail etc.

It depends which review/reviewer you want to believe.

As far as The BMWX3 is concerned the T180 is superior all round in terms of performance and spec, the only thing it doesn't have is THE BMW MONIKER !

So do you go for the cachet (lol) of owning a beemer or a vehicle with a Badge some may regard as less prestigious but which is a better driving proposition ?

Sure, perhaps the price is a little eye-watering -- for what it is, but its a terrific drive !!

If it cost £23000 it would be on my drive now !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links