Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Carina Tyres

porthos

I have just inherited a 1991 Toyota carina XL Winsor. Chassis AT 171 " 2 tyres on it are 185.70 13 and two are 165/70 13. Can anyone tell me which is the correct size,

I have just inherited a 1991 Toyota carina XL Winsor. Chassis AT 171 " 2 tyres on it are 185.70 13 and two are 165/70 13. Can anyone tell me which is the correct size,

Thanks,

Thats what the tyre companys tyre calculators say The Handbook list both sizes which is not a lot of help

You probably could fit 185/70's but they might rub on the suspension during full steering lock

You probably could fit 185/70's but they might rub on the suspension during full steering lock

It has 185/70s on the front & 165s on tyhe back. I have to buy some new tyres for it anyway , so want to be sure of getting the right ones. I have a brochure for the XL & GL and that came with the car and that states 165/70 13. but whether the winsor which was a SE are differant I dont know.

I find it hard to beleive that the hand book lists both 165/70x13 and 185/70x13 as standard/optional sixes.. are you sure its not 165/80x13 and 185/70x13 as both of these tyres have the same aspect ratio (give or take a couple of mm's)

The difference between a 165/70x13 and a 185/70x13 is a full 5% and throws the speedo out by 4mph (it reads 4mph faster than you are actually traveling at, at 70mph)

A 165/80x13 (or as it is also known.. 165x13) has only a 3mm difference in the aspect ratio and reads 0.5mph slower than the actual speed at 70mph.

Been a while since i have changed a tyre on the older Carina.. but I'm 99% sure that the standard size is 165/80x13.. so the 185/70x13 is the optional low profile size. (and 185's won't rub at all if it is indeed a 163/80x13 as standard)

EDIT:

LLA-950.JPG

If its this shape of carine.. then its the same shape as the carina 1600.. if i'm right that is.. then i am right in my above post.

706. Tyre size ... ... ... 165 x 13 radial ply

707. Tyre pressures (lb./sq.in.) Front, 24; rear, 26

Info from... http://www.laffey.co.uk/toyota/carina1600.php

It has 185/70s on the front & 165s on tyhe back. I have to buy some new tyres for it anyway , so want to be sure of getting the right ones. I have a brochure for the XL & GL and that came with the car and that states 165/70 13. but whether the winsor which was a SE are differant I dont know.

Many thanks for the info. Your right about the 165/70, it should be 80. I cant read the sizes on the actual tyre and obviously had 70 on the brain. The brochure states the standard tyre is 165/13 so as I need new tyres all round I might as well go for that size. The tyres are not worn that much, just slight damage to the sidewalls that Im not happy with. Its quite a good car considering its age, no rust at all and 5100 on the clock+ service history

Thanks Again

Bill

2.jpg this is the car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links