Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 Hardtop

Moto

Might just do that Les...one day...although I'm not sure the Club's ready for someone who's old enough to remember Kennedy getting shot - but too old to remember where it happened ;)

By the way (and to keep the thread on track!) I've just read an excellent article on how to fit a hardtop (part imported from Japan by a US MR2 owner) at www.spydermagazine.com :yes: you were right Les!!!

Might just do that Les...one day...although I'm not sure the Club's ready for someone who's old enough to remember Kennedy getting shot - but too old to remember where it happened ;)

By the way (and to keep the thread on track!) I've just read an excellent article on how to fit a hardtop (part imported from Japan by a US MR2 owner) at www.spydermagazine.com :yes: you were right Les!!!

There is a link to that a bit further up this post ;)

As far as age goes I'm celebrating my 55th this month :thumbsup:

I'm new here so take it easy with me folks.

How do you keep the roof "supple"? I've read the soft top care thing on this website, but I get the impression it wasn't written by anyone in the UK. Do you use any particular products?

I looked at the autoglym stuff, but it seemed to be for canvas roofs rather than Vinyl. Any help would be good.

I've also noticed a very slight leak near the drivers side door mirror, nothing major but something that annoys me a little. Any idea what I could do about this?

• 4 months later...

Bringing this all the way back to the top to tell you what I was told when I got my car last month from the Toyota dealership...

To begin with I was looking at buying one brand new, and gettin the hard-top and AC option... I then found out this would cost an extra £2,200 + vat :o They also stated that no-one else sells them, or can fit them. Basically you could buy it as an aftermarket option... but from Toyota only. The sales man also told me that there was a 7 month waiting time for one!!! :wacko:

There was one for sale without hard-top '06 plate in his showroom. Went to another showroom, found a '55 plate pre-registered car with delivery mileage and the hard-top and AC option! I think it's worth while to have the hard top (even though mines had been in my garage since I got my car :D )

To be honest, if I didn't have the hard-top... I would be going to Toyota for it. May cost a bit more, but at least you know it will be good quality. Though thats just my personal opinion.

Bringing this all the way back to the top to tell you what I was told when I got my car last month from the Toyota dealership...

To begin with I was looking at buying one brand new, and gettin the hard-top and AC option... I then found out this would cost an extra £2,200 + vat :o They also stated that no-one else sells them, or can fit them. Basically you could buy it as an aftermarket option... but from Toyota only. The sales man also told me that there was a 7 month waiting time for one!!! :wacko:

There was one for sale without hard-top '06 plate in his showroom. Went to another showroom, found a '55 plate pre-registered car with delivery mileage and the hard-top and AC option! I think it's worth while to have the hard top (even though mines had been in my garage since I got my car :D )

To be honest, if I didn't have the hard-top... I would be going to Toyota for it. May cost a bit more, but at least you know it will be good quality. Though thats just my personal opinion.

As far as I’m aware there are no spurious aftermarket hard tops available, all retro fit tops are genuine Toyota that have previously come off damaged cars or their owners want a bit more cash when selling the car, as the extra resale value with a hard top is less than selling it as a separate item, i.e. a couple of hundred if left on the car or between four to six hundred if sold on eBay.

A rocket science degree isn’t needed to fit the retainers needed (supplied by Toyota) and were you to put a factory fit next to a self fit you wouldn’t tell the difference. ;)

I think it's worth while to have the hard top (even though mines had been in my garage since I got my car :D )

...exactly...

I thought about getting a hardtop when I bought mine second hand, but tbh I've had it a year now and I can honestly say I haven't even thought about one,

A neighbour of mine has a w reg MX5 with hard top, and he's driving around in July with it still on :huh: ?????????!!!!!!!!

A neighbour of mine has a w reg MX5 with hard top, and he's driving around in July with it still on :huh: ?????????!!!!!!!!

:help: guy clearly has no clue...

i think i will have mines on most of the winter... i stay in scotland... rain/snow/sleet/hail pretty much all winter... it'll be good for giving the wee soft top a rest!

I'm new here so take it easy with me folks.

How do you keep the roof "supple"? I've read the soft top care thing on this website, but I get the impression it wasn't written by anyone in the UK. Do you use any particular products?

I looked at the autoglym stuff, but it seemed to be for canvas roofs rather than Vinyl. Any help would be good.

I've also noticed a very slight leak near the drivers side door mirror, nothing major but something that annoys me a little. Any idea what I could do about this?

I spent some money on getting the Renovo range for vinyl soft tops. They're on the net, they're UK based and their prices & delivery times are excellent. I got the 'Vinyl Soft top Cleaner' which gets all the dirt and grime off, then I brushed the 'Vinyl Ultra Proofer' on. I've found it excellent and because the Roadster's top is quite small the bottles lasts you a while.

I'd recommend do it twice a year before the two major seasons (summer & winter) and this way the roof will be protected against extreme temperatures, rain dirt etc etc. and it keeps it supple and like new.

Another helpful tip, don't put the roof down when it's still damp (the roof not the weather!) but the roof should be quite supple this time of year. Also gently push the glass rear window down as you fold the roof back.

hth

• 1 year later...
Moto said:

Does anyone know where to get a hardtop roof for my potential purchase of a 53 plate roadster?? Cant seem to find one anywhere and the main delaers say that they are factory fit options form new only and therefore you can get them?? Any hints, clues etc muchly appreciated!!

I'm sure nobody will mind if I mention that I got one just yesterday from somebody on MR2ROC, and there seem to be others available or were last week. Worth checking out.

Apparently Toyota have stopped making these now, so as canvas tops wear out I guess demand is probably going to exceed supply.

Really pleased with mine. Thought it would be metal but in fact it is a lightweight composite material, stiffens the car up nicely and the big rear window is great :thumbsup:

Paul.

Hello,

The hardtop is now discontinued.

you can pick up a t HT on eBay OR www.mr2roc.org -private sales section usually has them.

There is also a new carbon fiber Hardtop now on sale,BUT you have to get a bunch of other parts to complete and fit it.inc the glass.talk to Graham Ware @ japanparts.com

Cf HT

001-1.jpg

• 11 years later...

I have a 2006 , 175000 km with hardtop and luggage rack. recent new items include Clutch, Lambda sensors, catalytic converter ,. has a header, strut braces,  braided brake lines .

Engine needs a rebuild because of rod bearings failure and crank journal scored.  Great compression. 

Greg Isett 

Isettgreg@aol.com