Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 Hardtop

Moto

Does anyone know where to get a hardtop roof for my potential purchase of a 53 plate roadster?? Cant seem to find one anywhere and the main delaers say that they are factory fit options form new only and therefore you can get them?? Any hints, clues etc muchly appreciated!!

Moto said:

Does anyone know where to get a hardtop roof for my potential purchase of a 53 plate roadster?? Cant seem to find one anywhere and the main delaers say that they are factory fit options form new only and therefore you can get them?? Any hints, clues etc muchly appreciated!!

What uve been told is true... if the vehical wasnt fitted with one from factory u cant have one on your motor... a saftey reason or something..

If you do need one and your vehical was fitted with one from factory then tgb can supply one but will require your vin details..

BoB

What a load of rubbish!

Of course you CAN fit an aftermarket hard top to your Roadster (No matter what Mr T might say) check out eBay They come up quite often and sell for about £500-£600.

The only thing you will need is a 'Hard top fitting kit' Which can be purchased from-----(wait for it)-----Mr T's!!!for about £200

Fitting isn't a big problem either :thumbsup:

Les

Edited by GIDDLEPIN

What a load of twonk!

Of course you CAN fit an aftermarket hard top to your Roadster (No matter what Mr T might say) check out ebay They come up quite often and sell for about £500-£600.

The only thing you will need is a 'Hard top fitting kit' Which can be purchased from-----(wait for it)-----Mr T's!!!for about £200

Les

Ive had many request from customers with roadsters thats want hardtops for vehicals thats havent been prept for hardtops from factory and its not do-able.

So "Twonk" is a strong word if u ask me.. its a saftey issue..

BoB(Mr T parts advisor)

Well I've seen a LOT of mk3's with HT's fitted after .. and it's the same for the MGF, MX5 and S2000 .. So I dunno why Mr-T thinks it can't be.

Oh, that's right, cause it's an expensive option that Mr-T wants the cash for, that can be "professionally" fitted by the parts department trainne delinquent who'll scratch your paint and mark your interior and then charge you a small fortune for the privilege.

And then they wonder why we lose faith with the dealers .. maybe cause they are not mechanics, but parts fitters.

Well I've seen a LOT of mk3's with HT's fitted after .. and it's the same for the MGF, MX5 and S2000 .. So I dunno why Mr-T thinks it can't be.

Oh, that's right, cause it's an expensive option that Mr-T wants the cash for, that can be "professionally" fitted by the parts department trainne delinquent who'll scratch your paint and mark your interior and then charge you a small fortune for the privilege.

And then they wonder why we lose faith with the dealers .. maybe cause they are not mechanics, but parts fitters.

Every manufacture has fitters now instead of tech's and id like to see how theres hardtops are fitted to these non-prept roadsters..

Im just telling you what ive been told by TGB . Im not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes and try and take there money from them.As i said,just tellin u what ive been told..

AND AS FOR THE "parts department trainne delinquent" i must add im a fully trained delinquent thank you.. :thumbsup:

I did call TGB and spoke to parts interp and they told me what i said and as for the "Fitting" kit needed for this,well he didnt know of a part No for one..

NP Bob .. it's just with dealing with Mr-T with my two previous Toyota's I've been fobbed off, lied to, expected to pay *silly* prices for work and seen "mechanics" who don't know a Toyota from a Tangerine. It's kinda taken it's toll.

Which stealership (sorry, dealership) are you located at?

I know quite a few people who have fitted the roofs themselves, not heard of any issues.

NP Bob .. it's just with dealing with Mr-T with my two previous Toyota's I've been fobbed off, lied to, expected to pay *silly* prices for work and seen "mechanics" who don't know a Toyota from a Tangerine. It's kinda taken it's toll.

Which stealership (sorry, dealership) are you located at?

I know quite a few people who have fitted the roofs themselves, not heard of any issues.

I dont blame u either.. it happens in every dealership ive worked in.Service depts fobbing customers off,blaming parts dept for not ordering stuff,thiis,and that. IVe heard it all.. I wouldnt pay Mr T to do any work on my motor.Too darn expensive but i do have trust in our Tech's.and am lucky enought not to have to pay for services and labour costs and of course parts(perks of the job).Im at Octagon in Bracknell.. Do u use Reading Branch??

BoB

I have experienced Octagon Bracknell and Reading.

My first MR2 was actually from yourselves origionally.

I'll be razzing past you later, I've got to head to Bracknell Tyre & Battery this afternoon.

What a load of twonk!

Of course you CAN fit an aftermarket hard top to your Roadster (No matter what Mr T might say) check out ebay They come up quite often and sell for about £500-£600.

Les

Ive had many request from customers with roadsters thats want hardtops for vehicals thats havent been prept for hardtops from factory and its not do-able.

BoB(Mr T parts advisor)

No problem with the word 'Twonk' Bob. Consider it retracted :thumbsup:

So tell me Bob.

Why, if there is no after market fitment, you can purchase a "Fitting kit" for hard tops from Toyota dealers if they KNOW this is a safety issue?

HARD TOP FOR SALE

Les (Unemployed Mr2 Roadster owner)

What a load of twonk!

Les

BoB(Mr T parts advisor)

So tell me Bob.

Why, if there is no after market fitment, you can purchase a "Fitting kit" for hard tops from Toyota dealers if they KNOW this is a safety issue?

HARD TOP FOR SALE

Im sure u have your reason to believe what u believe. Ok so some random off fleabay is selling off a hardtop with the required fittments..but its not a kit as such.the vehical they've come off will no longer beable to have a hardtop again... You tell me the part No of this so called fitting kit and il eat my hat..Bored Now..

If u got nothing to do,bell TGB. :thumbsup: there more in the know than i am :wacko:

BoB

What a load of twonk!

Les

BoB(Mr T parts advisor)

So tell me Bob.

HARD TOP FOR SALE

Im sure u have your reason to believe what u believe. Ok so some random off fleabay is selling off a hardtop with the required fittments..but its not a kit as such.the vehical they've come off will no longer beable to have a hardtop again... You tell me the part No of this so called fitting kit and il eat my hat..Bored Now..

If u got nothing to do,bell TGB. :thumbsup: there more in the know than i am :wacko:

BoB

Hi Bob

If you want a list of the kit here are the part numbers

Side Panels RH 62511-07090 £58.42

Side Panels LH 62512-17080 £58.44

Locking Post 69431-17011 £60.05

Locking Post 69432-17011 £60.05

Lockdown Bracket 58395-17020 £19.23

Lockdown Bracket 58396-17020 £19.23

Defroster Cable 82187-17030 £10.51

Plate Cover Hook 69341-17010 £14.22

Plate Cover Hook 69342-17010 £14.22

Cover Plug 63259-17010 £22.56

Seat Belt Lower Bolt 90109-11040 £?

I know this is Spidermagazine but it might help HERE Enjoy your hat :thumbsup:

Les

What a load of twonk!

Les

BoB(Mr T parts advisor)

So tell me Bob.

HARD TOP FOR SALE

BoB

Hi Bob

If you want a list of the kit here are the part numbers

Side Panels RH 62511-07090 £58.42

Side Panels LH 62512-17080 £58.44

Locking Post 69431-17011 £60.05

Locking Post 69432-17011 £60.05

Lockdown Bracket 58395-17020 £19.23

Lockdown Bracket 58396-17020 £19.23

Defroster Cable 82187-17030 £10.51

Plate Cover Hook 69341-17010 £14.22

Plate Cover Hook 69342-17010 £14.22

Cover Plug 63259-17010 £22.56

Seat Belt Lower Bolt 90109-11040 £?

I know this is Spidermagazine but it might help HERE Enjoy your hat :thumbsup:

Les

Those numbers are non uk

where did they come from??

**Ok some arent coming up** enjoyin this hat..

I think the issue is Toyota GB .. other contries allow the kit, and then over the net us UK'ers get the details and the official Toyota GB line is still not to do it.

I suppose if the reason for this none fitment of parts is structural, then this means ALL Toyota MR2 MkIII Roadsters supplied without hard tops are in some form of danger due to the absence of bracing by not having the said fitment.

If Toyota MR2 MkIII Roadsters without hard tops were somehow given extra bracing to compensate then this would mean that ALL Toyota MR2 MkIII Roadsters with hard tops run the risk of possible structural failure because of the lack of said bracing when running without the hard top.

If however the only “Safety issue” is the fact that improper fitment can cause the hard top to become detached, then that would cover 99% of all aftermarket parts available for ANY make of car (seeing some of the Chav cars and bits stuck on them I could understand this). :thumbsup:

Les

Hi..........i was one of those that paid the full whack for hardtop plus air - con.....plus storage case thing on wheels,,,,,brilliant retail therapy and i still get a huge buzz when i sit in this car 7mths on......WELL DONE LES FOR BEING number 1 IN THE CHARTS!!!!!!!!P.P.

WOW GUYS AND GALS!!!

Who would have thought such a simple question would have raised such a debate! Very impressed by you all, esp as this is my first time here.

So, if I get the drift, its a factory only fit option, that you might be able to acquire through some dodgy means on eBay, but you can buy the fitting kits from the dealer, but it might not be safe to do so, and all roadsters appear non-safe now anyway, but no-one can actually give me a clue where I might be able to get one still :crybaby: Me thinks my girlfriend not gonna be too happy with me!! Unless anyone know of a mint black or silver Roadster, with hardtop, with twin exhausts, twin rear spoiler, chrome overbar and black leather interior, on a 53 plate, going for a song???? Let me know.... wrking nights so gives me something to read.............. ;)

Hi Moto and welcome to the club.

First of all the Roadster is a VERY safe vehicle, the comments in my last post are a “What if” scenario.

As far as hard tops sold on eBay being “dodgy” this is not the case, if I had the cash I would buy a hard top from eBay or privately without hesitation and if a fitting kit was not available with it then I would purchase that from Mr T’s.

If you check this thread HERE you will see that TOYOTA do indeed supply an aftermarket hard top, maybe not in this country, but I’m sure that it could be obtained either directly or through an agent (possibly not Mr T UK), this however would probably be rather expensive. :yes:

Don’t be put off by any scare tactics regarding the fitting because if there was any significant safety issue there are a number of Roadsters out there with aftermarket tops on that haven’t broken in half or failed MOT’s ;)

Now go out there and get a Roadster :thumbsup:

Les

Well then Les.. Did as told....

BOUGHT IT ! ! (well girlfriend did anyway as it will be hers) and collect it next week. Silver Roadster Import..53 plate. Well happy. Garage are replacing the electric aerial as only went up half way, the clip that holds the plastic cover down on the spare wheel, the seat cog, and refurnishing all 4 wheels to get rid of the nasty scuffs. All i want to do now is the following: Somehow get a hardtop from somewhere, twin chrome exhausts, chrome overbar, and boot spoiler to give it a finishing touch. Any ideas?? that dont involve silly prices?? or am i dreaming again..and thanks again for your input.. MUCH appreciated :thumbsup:

its a saftey issue..

i know people who could injure themselves quite horribly with an empty polystyrene cup :rolleyes:

i myself have been known to cause painful injury to myself with doors :yes:

what is safe these days? :lol:

Well then Les.. Did as told....

BOUGHT IT ! ! (well girlfriend did anyway as it will be hers) and collect it next week. Silver Roadster Import..53 plate. Well happy. Garage are replacing the electric aerial as only went up half way, the clip that holds the plastic cover down on the spare wheel, the seat cog, and refurnishing all 4 wheels to get rid of the nasty scuffs. All i want to do now is the following: Somehow get a hardtop from somewhere, twin chrome exhausts, chrome overbar, and boot spoiler to give it a finishing touch. Any ideas?? that dont involve silly prices?? or am i dreaming again..and thanks again for your input.. MUCH appreciated :thumbsup:

GOOD MAN! :thumbsup:

Now go to the nearest plastic surgeon, as you may have to get the silly grin removed from your face after finding out how good the handling is (go steady in the wet though, until you're used to it ;) )

As far as hard tops go Check THIS out. This will need more than just the rear clamps though no matter what he states on eBay.

I know where there is a black one possibly coming up for sale soon as well :yes:

Les

Dear Moto,

Wow that's some posting on hardtops!

Trust you are enjoying your car! Any news on the *hardtop?

Having owned an MR2 Mk3 for almost 3 years I'd say you shouldn't get too hung up about buying a hardtop. As soon as the sun's out I have the top down. It's what owning a soft-top sports car is all about. For me it's better than riding a motor bike - as you can enjoy the open road without having to wear a crash helmet!!

Anyone out and about in the Yorkshire Dales will - no doubt - have clocked me (and my wife sat shivering alongside in the passenger seat) in deepest winter. So buy a good hat and enjoy your motoring!

Have fun!

Dave C

ps *Don't forget to tell your insurance company if you fit one...

If it's not a manufacturer's option then insurers will - no doubt -treat it as a vehicle modification.

Dear Moto,

Wow that's some posting on hardtops!

Trust you are enjoying your car! Any news on the *hardtop?

Having owned an MR2 Mk3 for almost 3 years I'd say you shouldn't get too hung up about buying a hardtop. As soon as the sun's out I have the top down. It's what owning a soft-top sports car is all about. For me it's better than riding a motor bike - as you can enjoy the open road without having to wear a crash helmet!!

Anyone out and about in the Yorkshire Dales will - no doubt - have clocked me (and my wife sat shivering alongside in the passenger seat) in deepest winter. So buy a good hat and enjoy your motoring!

Have fun!

Dave C

ps *Don't forget to tell your insurance company if you fit one...

If it's not a manufacturer's option then insurers will - no doubt -treat it as a vehicle modification.

Had mine over three years as well Dave and never really needed a hard top and as long as you treat the hood it will stay supple ;)

Like you say as long as the weather is dry the top comes down :yes: Never got cold though no matter what the temperature outside, just wang up the heater and it copes with what ever is going on outside, I agree about a hat though, the top of your head does tend to be in the wind :thumbsup:

Why don't you check out the Northern meets and see if you can make it to any of them? (or Brunters if possible :drool: )

Les