Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Paseo Alarm

GreenChicken

hi,

i'm looking for a little advice on my paseo, thought i would ask the experts

bought it about 10 months ago, and the previous owner only had the one fob for the alarm/central locking. unfortunately this fob is a little battered and took to being a bit random about whether it was going to unlock the car or not. i replaced the Battery, had to re code it to the alarm (it was a cold and rainy morning and that alarm is deafening). it's gotten to the point i don't use it in case i can't open the car. i rung up toyota, they quoted me some stupid amount for a replacement.

i looked around on the net and found i could completely replace the alarm system, getting two fobs and a couple of cool toys for the same price. so.

1) how easy is it to change out the alarm system, i.e. could i do it myself or do i need to get someone to do it? (if so any idea how much to get it fitted?)

2) anyone have any opinions on this alarm?

cheers

Well, any alarm you fit yourself won't really help with the insurance. You need a Thatcham approved and fitted alarm for that, probably £ 250 - £ 300. This may reduce your insurance.

Unless your confident with wiring, don't waste your time fitting an alarm yourself - you'll upset your self, damage stuff and generally regret it.

Get it done professionally mate like Andrew said.

It'll go a lot smoother if you do..

I wouldn't buy one from e-bay as you don't know what you're getting TBH & remote starts won't be easily insured.

I have enough trouble on the 300 when i say its got a tubby timer.

J

yea i have the same problem with my paseo alarm. The alarm u have chhosen on eBay is a nice bit of kit but it will generally require fitting by an autoelectrician and this could prove to be expensive especially given the auto start. when i had my electric indicator mirrors the electrician was workin on it for about 2.5hours.

insurance will not go down with this alarm but it will not go up either. For complete fitting u may be looking at £150 as max guestimate?

let me know if you have it done as i am also looking for an alarm kit.

chhers

niv

Well, any alarm you fit yourself won't really help with the insurance. You need a Thatcham approved and fitted alarm for that, probably £ 250 - £ 300. This may reduce your insurance.

Unless your confident with wiring, don't waste your time fitting an alarm yourself - you'll upset your self, damage stuff and generally regret it.

ive done what andrew describes above^ and i sooo regret not getting it fitted professionally.

Rich.

yep - if it don't work, its someone elses problem !

• 1 month later...

sorry i haven't responded sooner

thank you all for your advice.

having looked at the spagetti of wiring behind the glove box i decided fitting an alarm all on my lonesome was far from a good idea. i did look into how much it would have costed to get the alarm i was looking at fitted professionally, and it would have worked out stupidly expensive. it would have been cheaper to have them install one of thier standard ones (either cat1 or not). anyway i am still looking into it.

• 2 weeks later...

By the book, remote start systems should only be fitted to automatics.

got a remote start on my paseo, the only time it would be probematic would be if you were silly enough to leave it in gear when you knew you were going to use it... as youd hit whatever is in fornt of you.

I would have thought a remote start on an Auto would be a worse risk than on a manwell...

J

I would have thought a remote start on an Auto would be a worse risk than on a manwell...

J

Not so James, I'm pretty sure Auto's have to be in neutral for them to stop/start up.

Correct! Most need to be in park before you can have your keys back and also require you to put your foot on the brake to get it out of park.

If you read through the fitting book with your remote start alarm is will say "STRICKLY NOT FOR USE ON MANUAL SHIFT CARS!"

But this is for a legal saftey, I put one on a manual about 6 months ago for a mate. On his little turbo, so you can let it cool down.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links