Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Change From Miles To Km

DaveSR

Miles Or Km  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should we change to Km?

• Keep Miles
    • Change to Km
    • Not bothered - A Load Of Media Hype

Just heard on the news that the government want to change from using miles to Km before the olympics as the system we currently use is old.

As well as spending around £50 million on signs there's car speedos that will need changing too. They also discussed that the speed limits would have to change to so that there a nice round figure.

It's been a while since we have had a poll/discussion - so what do you guys think?

Keep miles!

Everythings in miles! And I'm guessing it'll be the tax payer who will have to fork out to change all the speed limit signs from miles to KM :rolleyes:

Its something everyone is used to.... 50 miles to there, 30 miles per hour, my car does 40 miles to the gallon.... if it aint broke.... ;)

TBH it dont really bother me weather its in Miles or Kilometers i just cant see how they can really do as it would be a logistical nightmare having to change all the speed signs in one hit or there will be no end of hassle that in one area you have KPH and MPH which could confuse some motorist and some being hit for speeding as they believed the speed limit was in MPH.

Don't care either way. The speedo has it in both, if they want to waste our cash on new signs, I'm beyond caring... They'd only spend it on more bus lanes anyway! ;)

!Removed! daft idea...... Just another thing so Blair can add to his portfolio "and I changed this too"

Still..... it will make jap imports even easier to UKify.... Although I'd prefer non compulsery rear foglights!

ok till you look down and think ah 100......... yep 100kph zone...... DOH ITS MPH!!!! then anchor up and cause an accident or loose your licence.........

i only voted kph cause my vans in kph for some reason......... but kph is !Removed!!!!

Keep it in miles I say..... anyway those olympians didn't have any trouble in the USA using mph.....

As a side note all lorrys, regardless of size, are in kph as are the tachos.

Not bothered - one press of the button on the Yarii's dash, and it changes the speedo from MPH to KPH.

I was thinking that too,

Although that is not the reason why I am not bothered, when visiting Belgium I automatically convert into KMPH..took a bit of getting used to but now I'm used to it. However it would be a real nightmare for everything to be changed to KMPH surely :wacko:

Excuse me, the government???

The government is a large group of ministers. As far as I know it is a group of 4 people who suggested we change to KM by the 2012 olympics.

Change. It's very confusing coming from abroad having learnt in metric. Ok, so I know to do most of the conversions, but why not just stick to one universal one worldwide so to speak to avoid confusion?

Change. It's very confusing coming from abroad having learnt in metric. Ok, so I know to do most of the conversions, but why not just stick to one universal one worldwide so to speak to avoid confusion?

Next you'll be saying everybody should speak just one language :lol: Speaking of which, did anybody read about that school that taught in 59 different languages to accomadate it's pupils?

Next you'll be saying everybody should speak just one language

Now that is just daft. There's 192 countries in this world and if i heard correctly, only four use miles still. UK, USA, Liberia and Myanmar. Times are moving, move with them. And to be honest metric is so much easier...

Just kidding Ross (am I missing something or are quote tag clocks out of sync).

Agreed metric is easier when measuring small things but distances/speed are better in miles (I guess it's what you get use to).

Besides, you still use the imperial measurement when buying wheels and tyres ;)

imo should stick with mph on the basis the government is self serving and full of crap!

they state that the change will make things safer for motorists(actual reason given acc source) ... and how exactly will it make things safer? because theyll sneak in even lower speed zones hoping ppl wont notice? (i personally believe if they decide on the change theyll just send some poor underpaid lackies out with black markers and have them write KPH next to all the numbers already on the signs) come to think of it.... since when did the government really care about the safety of anyone who isnt actually part of their incrowd? they really care about ppls wellbeing.... just look at the NHS. screw them.... theres a catch to it somewhere and i strongly believe the only ppl who will see any benefit from it are the government

I cant get the Km in my head, 50 miles means something 30 mpg. No way can I get 40km to 5 litres ??

On the other hand we are like the backwater of Europe. We do nothing to handle tourists and visitors when you compare us to our EU counterparts. If youve ever been the states and consider what they do to accommodate visitors and disabled access is excellent.

So I understand why change is needed but they could post both for a period of years until we all got used to it. Speed limit 50mph 70km (just guessing the km)

Go for it! Why lag behind for the sake of defending habit? (again). It's so easy -- just like changing to the euro! Then we can have a lower 40 kmh speed limit in town :thumbsup: and 120 kmh on the motorway (a slight rise).

As has been pointed out, new displays change at the touch of a button anyhow.

Also about time we started driving on the right. We're starting to look a little 'quaint'.

next we will be driving on the right

Not bothered, at the end of the day it's not as if anything will be closer.

If it aint broke?

Then why change pounds/shillings and pence?

Why use a computer? Pen and paper is fine?

Bet you've got a mobile? Why? Phones are fine.

Why use phones, when letters will do ..

As long as the NSL goes UP to 115/120kmph I'll be happy ..

Keep miles!

Everythings in miles! And I'm guessing it'll be the tax payer who will have to fork out to change all the speed limit signs from miles to KM :rolleyes:

Its something everyone is used to.... 50 miles to there, 30 miles per hour, my car does 40 miles to the gallon.... if it aint broke.... ;)

Couldn't agree more. I dont know why they dont leave things alone. The real reason is probably just to please the EU. :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links