Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Headlight Alignment

drummerboy

Guys,

Quick question from a TOC noob (I am a member on LOC).............

Need to adjust the headlight alignment on my wife's 2004 Avensis, had a brief look under the bonnet but everything is so well covered in that I can't see where the adjustment screws / nuts are? :help:

Are there any? Do you nee to remove any covers from top of rad area or am I just not looking in the right place?

Any help appreciated............

(Yes I DO know there's a leveling swith inside the cabin but they still need adjustment)

Cheers

DB

I do not think this is a DIY job unless you have all the gear. I would suggest you get a good garage to do it for you.

I've done it in mine (1.8 VVTi 2005). It's very easy.

Yes, you have to take off all plastics. It's easy, just unscrew plastic screw holding Battery cover (do not take that little cover off, it's clipped to the biger one) and then take out all plastic screw-clips to take off all covers together. Plastic screw-clips can be removed by holding the base of clip (not to rotate) and then, with large screw driver, turn the screw that's in the middle. Turn it like 45 degrees, no more. Do not use down-force. The plastic screw need to rise up while unscrewing. If you're pressing it down it won't rise up. After turning, it rises up a little. Stop there, grab it with your fingers and pull up. It's off now.

To adjust your headlights you can do only vertical but there is no horizontal adjustment. Many people are complaining that new Avensis come with headlight on passenger's side too low. Mine came as well. I have left-hand side steering wheel so it had right side headlight too low.

You need to know how much to rise it, watching it on the white wall, with car parked some 10-15 meters away from the wall. If you're not sure, take it to any garage that has headlight adjustment equipment.

So once I get the covers out of the way I'll find adjusters like on any other car (screw or 10mm nut type arrangement?)...............

I'll have a go, I already had all the plastic covers off after a little prang to inspetm the damage so know how to go about it...... cheers

(screw or 10mm nut type arrangement?)...............

As I remember I've done it with philips screwdriver. You'll see it, it's simple...