Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Bonnet Release Cable

iamanni

Hello Guys.

anybody got any idea, how to replace bonnet release cable on an avensis car ?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.

• 9 years later...

For the sake of anyone else who has to do this.

Assuming you have managed to get the hood open.

Do NOT remove old cable.

1) Undo three 10mm bolts around bonnet mechanism.

2) Remove large spring which will allow you to release nipple at end of the cable.

3) Follow the cable track by wiggling the cable and locate a clip which holds the cable onto the chassis about midway between the catch and the wing.

Use a small screw driver to release this clip and you will find that you can split it to release the cable. It is tricky to see how to split the clip but it does split and does not take a lot of force.

INSIDE CAR

3) The catch assembly will unclick from the car by pushing fowards parallel to the dashboard mounting plate. It is made of white tough plastic and is held in place by three clips so it is quite a shove but you are not going to break it. (You may be able to do everything without releasing the catch but I am not enough of a contortionist to manage).

This should enable you to have the release catch in front of you and you can pull back the outer sheath of the cable and undo the nipple.

(You may not have a nipple if this is what has broken off).

As I said above I could not see how to release the cable without unclipping the mount.

Anyway, you should now have the old bonnet release cable free at both ends.

4) Get the new cable and tape the catch end of the new cable onto the release handle end of the old one (i.e. the inside of the car end) using masking tape or duct tape. Do this well, have a six inch plus overlap and use lots of masking tape. Masking tape is good as it wont leave sticky residue.

UNDER BONNET.

5) Use the old cable to pull through the new one. Don't over do the pulling it as you haven't clipped it inside the car and you do not want to pull it all the way through.

It should come through fairly easily. In my case I pulled the cable through the wing and then pushed the catch end along the front to the catch.

Do not forget to re attach the clip from (3) above.

6) Connect the nipples at catch end.

7) replace the spring

8) Do up the three bolts.

INSIDE CAR

9) attach nipple and pull back outer sheath to engage this with the release catch body.

10) Clip release catch back onto dashboard chassis.

11) Test, try testing by getting someone to see that the cable is pulling back the latch before you close the bonnet.

Job Done.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links