Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Tips On Enhancing Performance Of 2.0 Petrol Avensis

amok2

I have a 2 litre petrol avensis (2004).

Although it is a good car overall, I do feel it lacks (or gives the impression of lacking) torque/power, particularly at low speeds & when wanting to accelerate.

Even if one tries to keep the same gear by revving higher, the engine doesnt seem to be 'free-revving' and the engine sound seems to get louder/booming but in a straining manner.

Are there any simple measures to boost performance/bhp in petrol avensis, or is this just the way vvti cars drive (and cant be changed).

Thank you.

I have a 2 litre petrol avensis (2004).

Although it is a good car overall, I do feel it lacks (or gives the impression of lacking) torque/power, particularly at low speeds & when wanting to accelerate.

Even if one tries to keep the same gear by revving higher, the engine doesnt seem to be 'free-revving' and the engine sound seems to get louder/booming but in a straining manner.

Are there any simple measures to boost performance/bhp in petrol avensis, or is this just the way vvti cars drive (and cant be changed).

Thank you.

You could always swap for a 2.2 diesel !! ;) :P

Now THERE is a motor! Had a drive of one on Thursday, colleague just had it delivered. I just gotta say it was AWESOME!! and the sixth gear makes it incredibly illegal :drool: Only 2 and a half years before mine is up for renewal :censor:

Sell it and get something sporty? :)

A big, heavy car, with a little 2.0 driving the front wheels will never feel quick.

You either need to lose weight by strip the interior, bin the rear seats), bin the std exhaust (get a big free flowing one without a cat - matching it to a pannel filter, a cone filter usually loses BHP at it sucks in hot air) or get more displacement (bigger engine, forced induction or more revs).

An Avensis is never going to feel like a sports car. It's a 4 door saloon.

Thanks for your comments.

The 'new' avensis is much bigger/heavier than its past incarnations, so cant have everything I suppose. Prefer comfort/safety/utility of a bigger car than a sports car (cant afford both) !!

Have never considered diesels in past (noise,pollution,fumes,maintenance) , but modern deisels probably these no longer such an issue. Deisels have more torque at lower revs I believe. Will try one sometime.

I own a 2.0 VVTi-D4 (150bhp) 2000 model Avensis. I read different auto tests about this one and the numbers tell its not a real slow car. To my opinion the problem is that it doesn't feel quick.

I have a '53 T-Spirit Avensis with a 2.0 ltr petrol engine and like all the V-Tec or VVT engines, there is not much real performance unless you give them plenty of revs. It also means that, unlike a diesel, there is very little torque low down.

What the Avensis range needs is a 2.0 or 2.2 ltr Turbo engine like those in the Vectra or the Mondeo to improve that low down pull or overtaking ability. My previous car was a Vectra with a V6 engine and the pull and performance on that car was phenominal.

A point to bear in mind is that for real life situations on the road, it is often the comparative performance of other cars that dictate how your own car seems to drive. When you think that not that many years ago, a car with an 150 h.p engine would have been quite a performance vehicle.

Provide that you keep the revs. up in each gear, the 2.0 ltr Avensis is quite capable of holding its own in todays traffic conditions. Dont forget, there are lots of cars out there with much smaller engines!

Hi

I need some engine advice.

I currently have a Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTI but it needs another engine.

I have sourced a 1.8 VVTI engine from a 2004 Avensis T2.

Can i replace this engine into my car?

A big, heavy car, with a little 2.0 driving the front wheels will never feel quick.

Wanna bet Honda boy :P

Ring timeage for beer's will do :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links