Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird Ringing Noise From Car

Johndcfc

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone knew what this weird sound was - I've only noticed it when on motorways / dual carriageways.

Its like a ringing metal type sound from the back of the car?

Sorry I cant be more specific but its completely random....

Thanks in advance...

John

• 4 weeks later...

hiya

i get hum/ringing noise at around 90 - 110 miles an hour. I think it is the roof whip aerial. I took mine off and replaced it with the shorter bee sting type ( as on type R civic ) and it stopped

Unscrew it off and go for a spin - then you can tell for sure

hope this helps

hiya

i get hum/ringing noise at around 90 - 110 miles an hour. I think it is the roof whip aerial. I took mine off and replaced it with the shorter bee sting type ( as on type R civic ) and it stopped

hope this helps

LOL at that speed all I can hear is the engine and exhaust!!! :lol: ....and my ears are the only thing are 'ringing' :D

So true K19 LOL- and it is probably why i dont hear the aerial ringing as i try to go faster - the engine/exhaust sound drowns it out!!.

hiya

hope this helps

Thanks, I'll give it a try although I was convinced it was coming from the rear wheels....

Next question, what aerial did you get?

hiya

hope this helps

LOL at that speed all I can hear is the engine and exhaust!!! :lol: ....and my ears are the only thing are 'ringing' :D

Use 6th gear then :D

John

hiya

hope this helps

Thanks, I'll give it a try although I was convinced it was coming from the rear wheels....

Next question, what aerial did you get?

hiya

hope this helps

Use 6th gear then :D

John

That is in 6th gear!!! Have you heard the K&N Typhoon kit coupled with the TTE back box!?!? :eek: Coasting along is fine, but once you even attempt to put pressure on the pedal the hummm is actually quite nauseating at times! :fear:

good advice for k19 - nice one John;-)

The aerial i got is about 6" long - you can get them in Halfords. But i kinda liked the stubbier ones on the honda civic - tested one from my bro's type R and it worked so got one off eBay - approx £12 with post! - they are £30 in a honda dealer ( he got his nicked ha ha ha)

Just checked eBay - tons of these aerials but not the honda civic type.

hope this helps

The aerial i got is about 6" long - you can get them in halfords. But i kinda liked the stubbier ones on the honda civic - tested one from my bro's type R and it worked so got one off ebay - approx £12 with post! - they are £30 in a honda dealer ( he got his nicked ha ha ha)

Just checked ebay - tons of these aerials but not the honda civic type.

hope this helps

On the 6th gear issue... I find 6th gear isn't nearly tall enough for motorway driving...

On the 'which aerial' issue... I tried the stubby aerial from a Lexus IS200 and it looks much better... might 'swap' mine with my mates and say nothing! :lol:

Its like a ringing metal type sound from the back of the car?

You should check the rear brakes:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48913

'CTS03': See my reply to the post you're refering to above...

The aerial i got is about 6" long - you can get them in halfords. But i kinda liked the stubbier ones on the honda civic - tested one from my bro's type R and it worked so got one off ebay - approx £12 with post! - they are £30 in a honda dealer ( he got his nicked ha ha ha)

Just checked ebay - tons of these aerials but not the honda civic type.

hope this helps

Thanks, I'll get one on eBay.

On the 6th gear issue... I find 6th gear isn't nearly tall enough for motorway driving...

On the 'which aerial' issue... I tried the stubby aerial from a Lexus IS200 and it looks much better... might 'swap' mine with my mates and say nothing! :lol:

Have to agree, everyone comments on how noisey it is while cruising on motorways.....

Thanks, my dad thought the same but I've not had any vibrations just the weird noise. I'm going to take it back to the dealer this weekend and see if they can find a solution as its still under warranty.

Cheers

John

Found the problem.....

It was the toolkit in the boot (next to the spare wheel) rattling as some of the tools hadn't been secured properly!

:lol: :censor: :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links