Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Fuel For Aygo?

benchan

Hi,

I've had my Aygo for nearly three weeks and I'd like to know which brand petrol is best for the Aygo?

I've so far been using BP ultimate - since the fuel economy of Aygo is so good I can spend a few pence extra per litre.

Which brand are you guys using and why?

Cheers

Ben

Hi,

I've had my Aygo for nearly three weeks and I'd like to know which brand petrol is best for the Aygo?

I've so far been using BP ultimate - since the fuel economy of Aygo is so good I can spend a few pence extra per litre.

Which brand are you guys using and why?

Cheers

Ben

Just using the standard Shell fuel. It has been proven that the Ultimate and Optimax only have any performance benefit on performance cars but you will be keeping your Aygo's motor a little bit cleaner.

It has been proven that the Ultimate and Optimax only have any performance benefit on performance cars but you will be keeping your Aygo's motor a little bit cleaner.

As above, 'Super' Unleaded fuels only give noticable differences on performance cars, why not save yourself upto 8p per litre and run on the normal 95 RON fuel? :unsure:

I've only ever put Optimax in mine from day 1 barring 2 tanks of Tesco 99 when the Hemel fire left Opti stock in my area dry.

I do it in the hope that the fuel is slightly cleaner and so keeps things in better nick and may also give slight better mpg. As mentioned the car is so economical that it is almost irrelevant in cost the difference so I go with 'the best' - probably wasted money but there you go.

Most tests I've seen seem to rank Optimax the best and I believe it degrades slowest. Obviously people who have re mapped ecu and have JDM cars will benefit more from performance fuels than us Aygo owners who probably get nothing at all for the extra cost.

I have been using BP Unleaded this week, rather than the usual supermarket unleaded. Thing is I have noticed that the car is running a lot smoother, developing more torque at higher revs, which has surprised me somewhat. I am also getting the impression that the fuel economy is better this week, although I will not be able to confirm this until my next fill up later in the week.

The thing is, while the Aygo engine is designed for ecomony, it does have Variable Valve timing and will still benefit from higher quality fuel. However, unless the engine has an anti-knocking sensor, the higher octane level of super leaded will not lead to any greater performance.

I have been using BP Unleaded this week, rather than the usual supermarket unleaded. Thing is I have noticed that the car is running a lot smoother, developing more torque at higher revs, which has surprised me somewhat. I am also getting the impression that the fuel economy is better this week, although I will not be able to confirm this until my next fill up later in the week.

Just thought I'd comment on that as I have been using BP Unleaded this week instead of usual supermarket fuel in a 1.3 Yaris (95 ron unleaded I am talking about) and definately feels smoother and runs better. Sure some people may not notice a difference but I do.

• 5 years later...

In my previous car ( cant comment on my Aygo as its only done 100 miles!) I always used Shell fuel save, I notices about 20 miles differance per tank againsed supermarket fuel, and the engine was smoother through the rev range. Dont know how much differance it will make on a 1.0 cc but I will continue to use Shell

I am shocked that people put fuels like bp ultimate etc in an Aygo. Those fuels are for engines that are mapped to use 98 Ron etc. The Aygo has a bog standard engine. People who put performance fuels in an Aygo are complete idiots who don't have a clue about cars.

Aygos are for complete idiots who don't have a clue about cars.

Fixed that for you ;)

ha ha .... you're funny!

My wife uses either standard BP or Sainsbury's petrol. Both are RON95.

But Aygo has a knock sensor so surely can benefit from higher octane petrol. The power will not be a benefit here as 1.0 is not a powerful engine and gains would be less that 1 bhp, and fuel economy theoretically should slightly improve, but probably cost per mile would be still lower on 95 RON pertol.

Fixed that for you ;)

Who are you? The new resident clown?

I've used Shell FuelSave consistently for the past 12 months or so. Always get more than 55 mpg, it's the cheapest where I live (and no dearer than ASDA, Tesco or Sainsbury's) and I seem to get more miles out of it than I did when I used supermarket fuels once or twice last year. Noting the dates of the earlier posts on this thread (2006), I reckon most of the people who were using the expensive fuels will probably be thinking again, the way things are with fuel prices at the moment. I'd be surprised if any of them still use the expensive stuff today.

Fixed that for you ;)

Who are you? The new resident clown?

I've used Shell FuelSave consistently for the past 12 months or so. Always get more than 55 mpg, it's the cheapest where I live (and no dearer than ASDA, Tesco or Sainsbury's) and I seem to get more miles out of it than I did when I used supermarket fuels once or twice last year. Noting the dates of the earlier posts on this thread (2006), I reckon most of the people who were using the expensive fuels will probably be thinking again, the way things are with fuel prices at the moment. I'd be surprised if any of them still use the expensive stuff today.

Isnt fuel save 95 ron and just replaced Shell normal unleaded ?

I run my Aygo on Sainsburys fuel, it seems to return the most miles per tank and at 125p its fine for the aygo. The Fabia i had before ran significantly better on Tesco 99 but that was a TSi engine.

The Aygo is a cheap car with a tiny engine. Why waste 8 or 9 pence a litre buying the expensive stuff to put in it!

Go for the nearest gas station, if you have to travel any distance to get petrol you are wasting money getting there and back!

If the nearest is a Tesco or other supermarket then so be it, but PLEASE don't give the government any more tax than you absolutely need to....

IMHO putting expensive go-go juice in an Aygo, or pretty much anything else except performance cars, is a waste of money, especially with the price difference.

If it is 8p a litre dearer, that is 40p per gallon, do you really get 40p's worth of extra mileage from it?

The Aygo is a cheap car with a tiny engine. Why waste 8 or 9 pence a litre buying the expensive stuff to put in it!

Go for the nearest gas station, if you have to travel any distance to get petrol you are wasting money getting there and back!

If the nearest is a Tesco or other supermarket then so be it, but PLEASE don't give the government any more tax than you absolutely need to....

IMHO putting expensive go-go juice in an Aygo, or pretty much anything else except performance cars, is a waste of money, especially with the price difference.

If it is 8p a litre dearer, that is 40p per gallon, do you really get 40p's worth of extra mileage from it?

youve put it in a nutshell.nice one.

Quite simple i mainly use standard Asda or Esso as they are both closest to my house and have had no problems at all with any fuel i have ever used in the aygo

• 2 months later...

I have mainly used shel fuel save since new. Had to use teco fuel yeaterday, so popped in the 99 stuff. With Shell I hve been getting consistant MPG so will be interesting to see what the tesco stuff gives. Watch this

space!

the engine is designed to use 95, the only difference you will see using higher octane is in your pocket. to be honest, i have a performance car which can take either 95 or 98 but there's really little difference.

if you use more than 95 you're just wasting money

as for brand, the only petrol i won't use is JET - it gunked up two fuel filters in another car i had and seems to make the car run rough. other than that, there's little difference between fuels apart from the additives, so if you are looking for more mpg you are better making sure you don't drive round with a boot load of junk and extra weight rather than trying different petrol.

• 6 years later...

So dont use unleaded because its moore expensive is that what the were saying..ive got a 2006 aygo..

Hi Derek,

I am guessing that you mean ultimate rather than unleaded and a while ago, I asked about BP Ultimate petrol in our Aygos:

I have to say that it got a mixed response but I had a couple of longer weekend trips coming up, North East Lancashire to Cromer in Norfolk and then another down to see our Niece in Swindon.  As @FROSTYBALLS had said that he used Ultimate on a trip to Scotland, I thought that I would give it a go.  After filling up with BP Ultimate, I  noticed, straight away that the car was quieter, more "torquey" and smoother, after the first run (Cromer) I found that I had got 62 mpg out of it and this rose to 64 mpg after the Swindon run.

Since then, I have been using BP Ultimate even though it's more expensive.....The prices in Lancashire are 10p/litre more than the standard unleaded but if I go 5 miles into Yorkshire, I can fill up at only 4p/litre over the standard price...All brands of petrol are cheaper in Yorkshire and as we do most of our shopping and stuff "over the border", it makes sense.

You seem to have resurrected a thread from a few years ago, @Dereklad and things haven't changed have they?....There was, and still are many different ideas, thoughts and opinions and whilst we might not all agree, there is always something new to learn and find out about....It's all good fun, isn't it?

From my experience, Derek, all I can say is....Give a tank of Ultimate (Or any other premium fuel) a go, you're not going to do any harm to your Aygo.  You might find that you like it and it actually saves you money with the extra MPG over a Supermarket brand or you might find that you think it's a waste of money...Either way, it's worth a try.

All the best. :smile:

Locally to me, Tesco Momentum (super unleaded) is approx the same price as BP/Shell unleaded, and it is advertised as having the best additive package of Tesco fuels.

In my local Asda, a 3-pack of Redex (3 X 250ml bottles) was £6 earlier this week. Each bottle contains two shots, each shot treats up to 50 litres of petrol, so each bottle will treat up to 100 litres.

Given the Aygo's tank holds 35 litres, one should be able to treat three tankfuls from each bottle.

Nine Aygo tankfuls per 3-pack - 67 pence per tankful at the above price.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/03/2011 at 8:39 AM, Mord said:

But Aygo has a knock sensor so surely can benefit from higher octane petrol.

Holy thread resurrection!

In relation to the quote, yes the Aygo does have a knock sensor but it does not rely on it to provide maximum ignition advance (it is not a 'knock limited' engine). The sensor is there purely as a safeguard to prevent catastrophic knock in event of a bad fuel/overheat situation. The ignition map is fixed and does not rely on the sensor to provide constant real time igntion mapping so the ECU would have no idea whether 102 or 95 RON is used as neither fuel should introduce a knock sitution in normal use. Some engines (not the Aygo) do rely heavily on knock detection for realtime mapping to enable maximum power at all times on all fuels but the ECU systems are far more complicated and in order for the setup to be reliable you need at least one sensor per cylinder and ideally an extra one or two between cylinders. Some straight 6 engines will use 8 or 9 sensors for this reason and the sensors themselves need to be far more accurate (expensive) than our Aygo ones.

This is not to say that some people will not see an improvement with higher RON fuel, but it could be simply down to the 'quality' of fuel associated with higher RON fuels rather than the RON rating itself. Only the driver can decide if the extra cost is worth it. I won't mention the placebo effect that a driver filling up with 98 (and the cost) could introduce... :)

• Like 1