Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 Mk3 Workshop Manual(s)

curriedb

My MR2 MK3 is coming to the end of its 3 year warranty period. So, I thought: "It's time to purchase a workshop manual and keep costs down by doing my own servicing..."

IN SEARCH OF THE HOLY GRAIL

I've already had lengthy correspondence with Haynes's marketing rep., over the prospect of producing car-specific service guides (in a digital downloadable format directly from Haynes website to save publishing/distribution costs). All to no avail.

As a journalist I know it's not cost-effective to produce full-blown paper-based manuals for limited production models. But, who wouldn't pay £5.99 for a comprehensive service manual - I thought - given that an oil/filter change and quick inspection is likely to cost around £160 at a Toyota dealer? Ah well, the search goes on...

Now, frankly I'm puzzled. I've managed to secure a "CD manual" for our 2003 Hond Civic - from a third party via eBay - no problems. But having trawled the world-wide web for days I have - so far - failed to find any reference whatsoever to a "CD workshop manual" for the Toyota MK3 model.

In desperation I also pursued the dealership route. There's better news here... After contacted the dealer - two weeks' ago - I finally got a response today. Chassis manual £78.25 with the engine manual a further £43.48. The parts rep was unable to tell me if that also included the wiring diagrams. Wow now that does make Haynes' manuals look cheap!!!

So is that it? Have I really exploited all avenues? Or is there someone out there with a magic lamp? Probably not. However, I would be pleased to know if the figures I've been quoted by the dealer are about right. I expect they are...but it would be interesting to hear from other DIYers.

Any thoughts/feedback welcome... as I certainly need to get the handbrake adjusted ;-)

Dave C

Welcome to the club Dave :thumbsup:

Can’t help much with the manual but if you want to adjust your handbrake you need to get under the centre console, you might be able to get the awkward screws at the side of your seat with an “L” shaped Philips, but failing this just undo the seat bolts and move them out of the way (be careful with the wires).

Unscrew the gear knob and pull up the plastic cover (it’s on clips), lift the console and you will see the adjuster on a quadrant with a lock nut.

DON’T FORGET TO CHOCK YOUR WHEELS ;)

Les

Thanks for the welcome Les...and the useful advice.

Given that the MK3's been out since 2000 I'm suprised that I've failed to find anything on service manuals on the W.W.W. It will be interesting to see if my posting here has any more success.

Anyway, appreciate your response...

Happy motoring!

Dave C

Given that the MK3's been out since 2000 I'm suprised that I've failed to find anything on service manuals on the W.W.W. It will be interesting to see if my posting here has any more success.

Happy motoring!

Dave C

Hi Dave

Speak to the lads on Spyderchat.com, or do a search for BGB book on E-Bay.

Good luck.

Happy motoring!

Dave C

Hi Dave

Speak to the lads on Spyderchat.com, or do a search for BGB book on E-Bay.

Good luck.

Welcome to the club Gofaster :thumbsup:

I hope you stay with us and can contribute to the forum. :yes:

Les

Thanks for the info Gofaster.

I've had a look at the American MR2 users' website.

If the US Spyder is the same spec as the UK MK3 models then the website: www.techinfo.toyota.com/ is the place to go for downloads relating to workshop/repair manuals...

hmmm...if only I had broadband :(

Dave C

If the US Spyder is the same spec as the UK MK3 models then the website: www.techinfo.toyota.com/ is the place to go for downloads relating to workshop/repair manuals...

Dave C

Found this: http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic....trical+diagrams 3rd post down... :thumbsup:

Dave C

Found this: http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic....trical+diagrams 3rd post down... :thumbsup:

Thanks Gofaster - well spotted!

Just for info: Workshop manuals price guide for 2003 model

Have finally had feedback from the Group Parts Manager at West Riding Motor Group (the Toyota dealer in Bradford) following an email sent around two-weeks-ago!

To quote:

"Engine Manual £31.06 Chassis /Body manuals £68.25 and 2 further supplements. £24.28 + £43.28. Prices are RRP Excluding Vat. "

Certainly makes Haynes' manuals look cheap! If only they did one for the MR2 MK3 :o

• 1 year later...

Update 2007

Never did buy a set of manuals. However, this site covering Toyota workshop info for MK3 (2000 model) - is

the next best thing: http://www.northwestmr2.com/incoming/dutch...a/mr2%20spyder/

I did invest in a code reader (around £30) which comes in handy when/if "The big light" comes on. I purchased my Can OBD2 U480 from Talk-to-My-Car (via ebay). Saves going cap-in-hand to MrT - where you may well be charged £40 - for the "privilage" of having your lottery numbers read out!

It will work on most post 2001 EU petrol and later diesel cars (circa 2003) BUT NOT VAG cars...

Happy motoring

Dave C

My MR2 MK3 is coming to the end of its 3 year warranty period. So, I thought: "It's time to purchase a workshop manual and keep costs down by doing my own servicing..."

IN SEARCH OF THE HOLY GRAIL

I've already had lengthy correspondence with Haynes's marketing rep., over the prospect of producing car-specific service guides (in a digital downloadable format directly from Haynes website to save publishing/distribution costs). All to no avail.

As a journalist I know it's not cost-effective to produce full-blown paper-based manuals for limited production models. But, who wouldn't pay £5.99 for a comprehensive service manual - I thought - given that an oil/filter change and quick inspection is likely to cost around £160 at a Toyota dealer? Ah well, the search goes on...

Now, frankly I'm puzzled. I've managed to secure a "CD manual" for our 2003 Hond Civic - from a third party via ebay - no problems. But having trawled the world-wide web for days I have - so far - failed to find any reference whatsoever to a "CD workshop manual" for the Toyota MK3 model.

In desperation I also pursued the dealership route. There's better news here... After contacted the dealer - two weeks' ago - I finally got a response today. Chassis manual £78.25 with the engine manual a further £43.48. The parts rep was unable to tell me if that also included the wiring diagrams. Wow now that does make Haynes' manuals look cheap!!!

So is that it? Have I really exploited all avenues? Or is there someone out there with a magic lamp? Probably not. However, I would be pleased to know if the figures I've been quoted by the dealer are about right. I expect they are...but it would be interesting to hear from other DIYers.

Any thoughts/feedback welcome... as I certainly need to get the handbrake adjusted ;-)

Dave C

Hi Dave, The mk3 manual is certainly as rare as rocking horse dodos.

I can however, tell you how to adjust the handbrake correctly,

1. Remove center console (4 screws, front 2 pigs to reach )

2. With the handbrake off, slaken off the adjuster until both the cables are loose.

3. Press the foot brake 4 times

4. Pull up handbrake 4 times

5. Check that the cables are still slack when hand brake is off, if not do step 2 again.

When the adjustment is correct the lever will come up 6 to 8 clicks. It is VERY important that the cables are totally free of any tension when lever is fully down, otherwise the self adjusters will not work and the actuating levers on the caliper will not pull at their most efficient angle.

My own roadster will easily lock up both rear wheels on the 7th click, remember, any less than 6 clicks and the adjustment is wrong.

When everything is set as above normal wear on the pads/discs will be automatically compensated for.

Hope this helps Bob.

Thanks for the info Bob.

Les did give me some useful guidance at the time of my original posting (2006) - including the advice to use a 90 degree cranked screwdriver (I'd had one for years but never used it) on those darned access screws!!

However, you've given a really comprehensive guide on how to adjust the handbrake (didn't know the bit about pumping the brakes when I did it) so I will add your helpful info to my MR2 DIY file !

Thanks again

Kind regards

Dave C

• 2 years later...

I zipped ALL the pdfs up into one RAR file. If anyones interested i'll up it to one of those file share sites.

• 1 year later...

hi bob,can i have a set of this manual? thanks

Not sure if you will get a reply to this as the post is over a year old and Bob hasn't been on since last year either :thumbsup:

• 9 years later...

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e0b4e514324f02e3a1f8f0c1d6a7a7f27aa38332&dn=Toyota+MR2+Spyder++Roadster++MR-S+MK3+%281999-2007%29&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969