Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Change

Clarky_man

I have done a engine swap on a MK1 as you may know there were 2 versions of them the easiest way to tell them apart are the vents different shapes.

I have the early version and have put a later version engine in an modifications which need to be done since i have the old gearbox in it?

Hey,

I have done the same conversion myself, 88 engine and 86 body. I completed it about two weeks ago. The main thing I noticed is that you had to keep the original ECU and harness from the body. Plus the o2 sensor had to be the original. But when it comes to drivetrain, I used all of the parts from the 88.

The only part i used form the version 2 was the engine. So the engine and gearbox can be used together if they are fifferent versions.

What parts do you class as the drivetrain? Why did you fit the newer parts?

axles and gearbox. i have to replace the wheel bearings soon. i would suggest replacing them as soon as possible cuz the originals go bad about 200k-250k ive found. or that might just be because of the way i drive, lol.

-Cory

do you have to put the second versions gearbox or can you keep the first version gearbox?

i dont think itll make any difference which one you use. just replace all the fluids in the trans.

-Cory

Glad to help. Good Luck. Just if it doesnt start the first time, thats normal, try, try, try again, itll be worth it. Trust me!

Always glad to help, Cory.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had i start and drove it the problems i fould were i wasnt pullin below 5K revs and i think the clutch has gone. Could the pullin problem be the clutch?

Where can i get a clutch from? Rough cost?

Everything is interchangable. The later gbox is favourable though - its stronger then the early box.

Is the clutch slipping?

You say the thing doesnt pull below 5k?? Is it fine after that? If so sounds like a TVIS problem.

I got i runnin again today had to top up the clutch fliud.

The lack of pulling power i think i could be the bar which goes into the gerbox when you press the pedal down. We replaced the bar so it may be holding the clutch half in and half out i think the bars a bit longer have to check. If that didnt make sense sorry forgat what its called. Plus thats where i am losing the fluid.

Pick up another MR2 today for spares. It could be put back on the road with some work. Its being broken anyone want parts? Its B reg and white.