Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing

Blue84

Morning All,

Took the Yaris Blue to Toyota this morning, Dad followed me down there so he could bring me home! Was left waiting for about 5/10 minutes and all I wanted to do was give the keys and service book, ask for replacement front windscreen wipers and say about the handbrake. The guy infront gets a Courtesy Aygo and is sorted out, then she finally talks to me.

She got the booking in form, and on it there was some text saying that the car should've been serviced in September? I got only got the car in March last year? I got told quite rudely that as the service should've been done at the latest in January and they can void the warranty because of this :ffs:. Just for a bit of a re-cap the car was a Pre-Reg to them at the end of Jan 05, sat on the forecourt & I got it in March with 20 miles on the clock. I was under the impression that servicing was per year or 10k miles, whichever is sooner. I wasnt told that it was a year from the date of first registration! Add to the fact that this car is very well looked after - all engine levels are checked every week & tyre levels topped up etc by me and Yves so it's not like it's not touched. I told the Woman this and asked her out right if it would void the warranty then and she said "no, not this time". WTF? She then explained that they aren't so fussy about the first service it's the 2nd and 3rd ones that cause problems. If that is the case then why tell me at just gone 8am! I don't mind being told this information but I don't need no attitude thank you. I also asked for them to check the handbrake as it feels a bit loose, again very rudely she said "well it should be between 7 & 12 clicks so if its there then it's fine". Okay fine, but I am asking you to check it anyway - they probably wont though.

So after about 15 minutes in there in total I went back to my Dad who brought me home and he said that isnt right either as I am paying them money for this and I'm the Customer! I've called up Toyota (using a number on here for customer services), explained it all and they are going to speak to the dealer tomorrow for me as I dont want it done today seeing as I've got to go and get it later this afternoon. They also confirmed that it shouldnt cause a problem at all.

So yeah, that's annoyed me and it's only 9.35 - pre reg owners be warned!!

Thanks

T

Yeah, its a year or 10,000 miles from first registration - everything is taken from the first registration, not the date you bought the car! :thumbsup:

Dunno why they said September though - but they are correct that you should have taken it in January if it was first registered in January.... :unsure:

She didnt have to give you attitude though - they should have made it clear to you when you bought it!

Everyone knows that but me it seems!! :ffs:

If I had been told then that is what I would've done, but still the car was brand new when I got it - just not on paper. Anyway at least I know now, but where I work in Customer Service with the job I do I dont expect to be given a lecture, not sure if Toyota send reminders or not but Ford sent my Dad one for his Fiesta aswell.

Yes, Toyota send reminders out, normally a month or so beforehand.... so you should have recieved a reminder in December last year....

Yes, Toyota send reminders out, normally a month or so beforehand.... so you should have recieved a reminder in December last year....

Didnt get a thing, I've got one special invite thing and club toyota renewal come through. Plus the odd dealership update leaflet - don't get anything else from them, quite often when people on here have said they've got things through from Toyota I felt left out so this could well be why!

Don't worry T - it's a marketing excersise to ensure you go back and pay Mr T's extortionate rates. That and the woman sounds like a complete PITA.

You may want to check up on this because I believe dealerships can no longer insist you have your car serviced within the chain, to maintain warranty. If any parts are required they *must* be Toyota parts but the actual basic servicing can be done elsewhere. I stand corrected if this isn't true, but believe it's a relatively new law.

How much are you paying for this rubbish service BTW?

Re: Reminders, do they apply this policy to used cars they sell, cause if so, I've never received one.

Only ever got one invite, and that was too the unveiling of the New Yaris, a WEEK after it had been unveiled!

Re: Reminders, do they apply this policy to used cars they sell, cause if so, I've never received one.

Only ever got one invite, and that was too the unveiling of the New Yaris, a WEEK after it had been unveiled!

They should do - I bought my SR privately.... and I get reminders and recalls from Mr T ( :eek: ) don't see why they can't for ones bought at a dealership. When you're there next getting those rattles'n'squeaks fixed, it'll be worth checking they have your correct details on file. :thumbsup:

Yeah, just make sure that they have the right details on file when you go back. Goodness knows what details my dealer of choice have for me - they keep getting my dad and I mixed up and I get service reminders for his cars. On the plus side, I also have a note on my file saying "5+ Toyotas purchased" so when they see that they become all smiley and helpful :D

Good call for phoning Toyota Customer Service straight away - my Dad used to work for a BMW garage and a call like that used to get butts kicked right down the line to the source - I can only imagine that Toyota do the same as they have a reputation to defend.

Lets hope its all fine this afternoon :thumbsup:

Alan

PS About the handbrake - I said the same thing when mine was last in. They say they looked at it, but that the french-built ones have a self-tightening device which isn't as tight as some owners (ie you and I) would like, but that the handbrake is actually working as it should be...

Oh yes, the handbrake. They should adjust this automatically if it's loose. They did with mine, although I fear a little too much as it only went up one notch!! Anyway it loosened a bit with time, just the way I like it to be ;)

Don't worry T - it's a marketing excersise to ensure you go back and pay Mr T's extortionate rates. That and the woman sounds like a complete PITA.

You may want to check up on this because I believe dealerships can no longer insist you have your car serviced within the chain, to maintain warranty. If any parts are required they *must* be Toyota parts but the actual basic servicing can be done elsewhere. I stand corrected if this isn't true, but believe it's a relatively new law.

How much are you paying for this rubbish service BTW?

No I think you're right Caz but I think the point they were trying to make was that, according to their records, Tina needed to take the car back for a service in January, but its now March and because the warranty is dependent on regular servicing (every 12 months or 10k miles) that in itself may void the warranty, but on this occasion, they'll let it slide (how gracious of them!)

So its not so much the fact that its not been serviced there, its the fact that it wasnt serviced at the correct time according to their records - it doesnt matter where you get it serviced, so long as they use genuine parts! :thumbsup:

Update : Got a text from them at 11am saying the car was ready, although they did say they'd ring? Had to wait for my Dad to get home from work anyway so didnt get back there until 4.30. Took him in with me (as backup lol) and the same girl was there, she was as friendly as anything tonight and went through all the documentation and the car is in perfect order. Brake Pads were checked (as I requested brake pad check for free) and the handbrake is at 6 clicks which is fine. I did say after that (again) that the car really is maintained anyway and she agreed! I'm glad they replaced the front wipers as the rain was torrential coming home. She'd also had a clean which is much better than my attempt on Sunday and felt a lot better - gearbox felt firmer and engine seemed more responsive to me too.

When I called Toyota I did stress to them that when I got the car in March 05 as a Pre-Reg it had only done 20 miles and if I had known it was a year from the date of registration then I wouldn't have left it so late, but seeing as it only sat on their forecourt I didnt think that would count. :thumbsup:

About the handbrake - I said the same thing when mine was last in. They say they looked at it, but that the french-built ones have a self-tightening device which isn't as tight as some owners (ie you and I) would like, but that the handbrake is actually working as it should be...

My big fat hairy behind. Self-tightening?? What a load of male chicken. Tossers.

Handbrake is between 6-9 clicks, not 7-12, and it doesn't self-tightenen... on both there are two nuts under the handbrake... one is the lock-nut, one is the adjuster-nut. The reason they'll give you the usual crap of it'll be ok, it's self-adjusting etc etc is because:

A. They havn't got a clue

B. It'll still work (at an inconvenience to you), so it's not essential

C. Unless they have small tools and bendy hands you have to take the drivers seat out to adjust it, and they can't be bothered.

It takes 10-15mins to do, they're just lazy.

Anyway, glad it was cleaned for you!

Glad it all worked out ok for ou after all, Tina. You've just reminded me that I've got to book mine in for its first service. I did get a letter and still forgot. :rolleyes:

Handbrake is between 6-9 clicks, not 7-12, and it doesn't self-tightenen... on both there are two nuts under the handbrake... one is the lock-nut, one is the adjuster-nut. The reason they'll give you the usual crap of it'll be ok, it's self-adjusting etc etc is because:

A. They havn't got a clue

B. It'll still work (at an inconvenience to you), so it's not essential

C. Unless they have small tools and bendy hands you have to take the drivers seat out to adjust it, and they can't be bothered.

It takes 10-15mins to do, they're just lazy.

Anyway, glad it was cleaned for you!

You only adjust the handbrake by the 2 10mmm nuts on cars with rear disks(and no internall handbrake) NOT drums.

The pre-reg thing is a fiddle though :wacko:

the same girl was there, she was as friendly as anything tonight and went through all the documentation and the car is in perfect order.

Maybe:

1. She hadn't had her first cup of coffee (I'm always grouchy before my first brew)

2. Had a hangover after a night on the ale

3. She got a 'service' at lunch time and was feeling a whole lot happier

:)

Maybe:

1. She hadn't had her first cup of coffee (I'm always grouchy before my first brew)

OR ..............Maybe Toyota (GB) had spoken to the dealer principle and she had been enlightened in the art of "Customer Care" :)

Maybe:

OR ..............Maybe Toyota (GB) had spoken to the dealer principle and she had been enlightened in the art of "Customer Care" :)

That's what my Dad said Steve, she deserved it!

Got a questionnaire thingy through today about the service I got from the Dealer and the name of the person who gave you back the car so in a while I am going to fill it in and definately send it back to them with how unhappy I was ;)

You only adjust the handbrake by the 2 10mmm nuts on cars with rear disks(and no internall handbrake) NOT drums.

Iv got drums at the rear and thats how you adjust mine. Adjustment at the drums is when the cable itself as weakened and needs re-tightening or replacing. Adjustment at handbrake lever is perfectly ok until adjusting it does nothing.

Iv got drums at the rear and thats how you adjust mine. Adjustment at the drums is when the cable itself as weakened and needs re-tightening or replacing. Adjustment at handbrake lever is perfectly ok until adjusting it does nothing.

All your doing there is stretching the cable more.Not actually tightning the brakes :thumbsup:

Seveer, you're are arguing with the girlfriend of a Toyota mechanic (one who knows what he's doing) here, I'd give up! ;)

According to EC 1400/2002, the so called Monti directive, one doesn't have to use Toyota spare parts, even Toyota dealerships don't have to, as long as those parts are of an "equal quality" (although that's a lot of room for interpretation there, both ways). The only times the manufacturer can require one to use their parts is for things like free servicing, warranty repairs, recalls ,... , although these are almost exclusively contracted to the own dealership network.

Dealerships can now also not be contractually forbidden to sell on spare parts to independant repairers and manufacturers must give independant repairers acces to things like repair data, diagnostic tools, special tools, ....

Yves.

All your doing there is stretching the cable more.Not actually tightning the brakes :thumbsup:

Hence why I said adjustment at drums is needed when adjustment at lever does nothing. You can stretch the cable until it reaches the end of it's life because as far as im aware unless you park your car on a very steep hill a lot, then the cable will last a long time and stretching it will do no harm.

Plus, it's easier to stretch it than to re-tighten it and since it does no harm, then there's no problem!

Ryan... haven't you realised yet? I NEVER lose an argument! I am always right, especially when proven otherwise!! Y'see, im a stubborn b*tch and being of large stature i can afford to be right all the time!

I have been exceptionally satisfied with the care given by my local dealer considering both my Yaris came from elsewhere - one from Belgium via Motorpoint and one from London.

They have replaced everything under warranty. New carpet, new seat covers, new brake light, new air box, 2 new sump gaskets.

Only problem is this stupid h/b ratchet recommendation.

I kept having to adjust it myself as I want it at no more than 4 notches owing to being used by disabled drivers.

Insisted on having it stipulated on the computer what my requirements are.

Now have no problem.

Who wants a H/b where the fulcrum is nearly vertical before it acts. I want it nearly horizontal so I can use the angle for power.

I asked about a service and was quoted at £340 with brake check etc. This was the dealership in Barnet north london.

So I went straight to Kwik Fit and paid them instead.

On another note, she was a ******. I train staff in customer care in call centres and although you can hide your body language when someone frustrates you (i.e. the customer) you never show it in your voice and tone!

She made assumptions that you knew when to bring the car in instead of asking you if this was the case.

She then spoke to you in a way that made you feel she did you a favour "on this occasion it won't invalidate your warranty". You PAY them so they owe you a service and if you take the money out the equation it's common courtesy and manners to speak to people in a way you would want to be spoken to yourself.

Rant over, glad your car is sorted now