Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GT4 Good?

Cream

Just droped into this forum while surfin for info on GT4's.

Considering changinge my wifes MX5 for something with 4 seats (Baby) and a hatch, but not a boring limp wristed car.

Is a GT 4 a viable option ?, i prefer the 90-94 cars bit more evil looking. I just imagine they all must have been thrashed senseless by blokes who think there on Sega rally.

Costly to run ?, i would have thought so, fast enough in standard trim?

hi there

if i were you, and considering Four seats(baby) then think about an ST205.

as the ST185's have no brakes!!!!

I have owned a ST185, and the comparison of the brakes is unbelievable.

running cost's can be high (as of any performance car)but if you get a good one

with low miles im sure you both will enjoy the experience

Hope that helps???

Tony J

www.jordanracing.moonfruit.com

I disagree Tony, if you get a UK spec 185 it comes with ABS as standard and I've found the brakes to be very good, so not sure if yours was an import or UK. The 205 brakes are a 12 pot caliper as oppose to 4 pot calipers on the 185 so the brakes will feel a lot different. It's all down to preference at the end of the day, but you can't beat the sleek lines and pop up lights on the 185. But then I'm bias! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people

The 205 has 4-pot calipers on the front, 315 mm vented discs. They !Removed! all over the 185 brakes, which IIRC were 4 (small) pot on the early models then larger 2-pot design but still rubbish on the later models.

Anyway, the real question was "Should I get a GT4?" The answer of course is yes, they're top hole and you'll find most of them have been looked after. Thing is you can't really thrash one in the same way that a Max Muppet would thrash their Saxo :P because you'd end up in a wall or lamp-post pretty soon!

Mmmm, so this brake issue is pretty important then, so if i buy a GT 4 hopefull someone will have spent £2k upgrading to Brembo calipers or summat.

On the servicing front, i'm an Alfa driver and servicing for that costs about £150 per 6k miles, is a GT4 worse or the same ish as this ?

GT4s are good....

I had St185 RC and it was top, do expect bumpy ride....

and are heavy on fuel..

18mpg in town, 24 mpg motorway..

performance is top...

look for service history...

Brake were never a problem, disc all around, most o fthem with ABS