Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Express & New Uk Corolla Faults

gaz

I too have had no practical help with my problem from Toyota customer services. Basic customer care like contacting you back seems beyond them.

I expect that Toyota will soon start falling down the customer service rankings ( J D Power etc), then they may take note and make some changes....

As I'm having lots of probs and quality issues with Toyota I'm going to forward the chap at Autoexpress a copy of the letter that I sent to TGB, Watchdog and Top Gear.

I reckon the more people I tell the more they'll want to shut me up and compensate me for all the hassle I've had (see the post about the Accident Damaged Corolla...)! Here's hoping anyway

Well just to give you an update, I have taken the car to a different dealer and they have now identified issues with the vehicle. Parts are now on order. One part is the idle tensioner for the auxiliary drive belt.

Auto Express were emailed by Toyota Technical and were told to inform all their readers with Toyota Corolla 1.6 VVT i engines to have this idler checked. Well I told the previous dealer but he just said this was an Avensis problem, apparently not!

The dealer has also ordered the parts to resolve the radio facia dropping problem. A new engine mount which was identified as a problem when he entered my vehicles VIN into the system.

well this dealer seems more competent than any of the previous three dealers I have visited. They will fit the parts, test the car and take it from there. If they can't resolve the issues they will call the Toyota engineer in to investigate, although Toyota Customer services have now offered me this option as a result of Auto Express intervention. Unfortunately they won't give me my money back.

Another problem though, the idler is on back order 5 September, this means I will have waited 6 weeks for one part, a British part, apparently there is a few on order and the numbers are rising. Why should we have to wait so long for a fix?

Gaz - I really hope this new Dealer gets your probs sorted

That's really interesting that you mention about the idler, as one of the things that I brought up with the dealership that have been carrying out my bodged repairs is that the car is lumpy on idle. We've also noticed loads more rattles and stuff since they took the car apart and threw it back together again.

I will be pursuing the lumpy idle as well, but has anybody noticed that after about 7000 miles that the gearbox gets slack, expecially going from 4th to 5th. I was having real problems with this when I finally got my car back. I wasn't sure whether it was one of the meatheads from the bodyshop head been heavy handed with the gearbox, or if it was related to my accident, or if it was a genuine new problem with the car.

Funny thing was, the hotter the weather got last week the worse the problem got. All I know is that it felt like the distance from 4th to 5th was double what it used to be and was difficult to find...

gaz sounds like a result mate, i hope all goes well for you, hope other corolla readers of this forum take note and follow your advice, it must have been a hard long struggle to get this far I hope the problems get resolved.

It is very pleasing to see people that require getting what they paid for.

Your initiative in GB is a good paradigm for all countries where TOYOTA has also sold the same kind of cars.

I will be in the main Toyota garage in Athens next Friday August 22, expecting to solve properly the following problems in my Corolla TS (bought in July 03)

- Vibration sound at dashboard

- Non-operating sound of alarm TH2000

- Rattles at front windows over bumps when not fully closed

- Dirt remaining on the car body from tapes used in the installation of spoilers

I read with interest and Dennis is being mailed now. I have owned Corollas since my very first 1.6XE way back and this, all though not a bad car it has the most niggles. Where are they built now ?????.

Didn't get any sleep for the first three days as the alarm had a mind of its own. Fixed now as the sensitivity of the array has been adjusted. Took two trips mind you

The driver seat base has been replaced under warranty as it collapsed

There is a tractor noise when setting off from low speed T-junctions in second. They say ther is nothing wrong with it

The dash constanlty vibrates on hard acceleration, although the heater vents have had further packing

The radio and temp displays have been changed as greasy finger marks behind the glass

There is an intermittent creaking noise on the back end. Dealer cannot find anything nothing is binding.

The paint job is bad. lumps underneath runs. Dealer said its dust particles to make me feel better. How sweet!!

The door seal has ben re-fitted due to wind noise which is still bad around the drivers door/window/A pillar.

It was last in on the 18th Aug with a technician ringing me on 19th. Guess what no phonecall

Good news is its only got 3K on the clock so there is plenty of time.

For those with major problems isn't there the sales of good acts and ammendments that now has changed. You could reject the car as not being fit for purpose. Its now upto the dealer to prove it was and opposed to you proving it wasn't

Geez guys

I've yet to order a new CTS within the next week or so! All these problems you're having with your Toyotas is dep-ressing. :( .I hope we don't have any major probs when our TSport finally arrives :angry: .

I can only but hope that Toyota step up their quality control on the production line and Customer service as well :unsure: .

Cheers

Ant

• 1 year later...

Hi, we have a 1.6VVTi T3 5 door Corolla on an 03 plate.

We are experiencing an idling issue. At the service the dealer advised that this was normal!!!

The car idles the majority of the time at 600rpm or slightly below and feels rather juddery and wanting to stall. Is this what you guys are experiencing and should I ask the dealer to investigate the idle tensioner?

Incidently we are also experiencing:

Creaking stereo in dash

Slightly wooly stearing at high speed (is this normal too?)

Well, I've read all the posts with a great deal of interest. My 3 month old CTS has also developed a dashboard rattle, well, more like a 'buzz' actually when accelerating hard. It usually happens around 4000 to 6000 revs, just before the lift kicks in.

I had a problem at 1400 miles whereby the TRC OFF and VSC lights came on whilst driving - I'd also experienced a loss of power prior to this happening. I took it to the dealers who bunged a diagnostic on it and got a code - unfortunately they didnt know what it was. On further investigation they dicovered it was a communication circuit fault but according to Toyota Technical this should not have contributed to the loss of power. They cleared the code off and ran it over a weekend, lending me a 6 month old Avensis in the meantime (which had more rattles than Mothercare I hasten to add !). When I got it back they said they really didnt have a clue, but that it seemed to be alright now :ffs:

I've driven it since, adding another 2000 miles on it with no recurrence, but that doesn't exactly help me sleep at night.

The steering also feels 'wooly' of late. I thought I had knocked my 4 wheel alignment out so took it it to be checked - they reckon it's spot on. It still drifts about though and doesn't feel quite right somehow.

The engine sounds rough on tick over. It did have a bit of a idling fit a few weeks ago when the idle suddenly jumped to 1500 revs, and then down to 600 revs - on a warm engine for no apparent reason, but again I've had no recurrence of this either.

There's also a gap appeared just above the radio - not sure whether it was there when I bought it - could be connected to the buzzing sound ???

When I collected the car the glovebox didnt fit right (warped on one side). Dealership offered to replace it but would mean removing the whole of the dashboard ! I declined, gracefully. There's a scratch behind the glass on my instrument panel - again, its been there since collection. Its not really noticable but I know its there.

Prior to this I had a Celica - the windows leaked constantly, I had vibration at speed which the Dealership couldn't fathom, alarm that kept going off, brakes skimmed at less than 10,000 miles due to vibration on braking, and numerous other rattles, bangs and bumps.

Oh, and to top it off tonight my CTS radio decide to 'lose' all the pre-programmed stations I'd put it.

I think the build standard of Toyota is quite frankly appaling, especially since they have a reputation for reliability.

Apart from all that my ownership of two Toyotas has been absolutely wonderful :wacko:

Ah well,

Accylad

Auto Express would like to here from all UK owners of the new Toyota Corolla who have outstanding faults on their vehicles. They will in turn pass these details on to Toyota GB in the hope that they will rectify these faulty vehicles.

The email address is:- james_baggott@dennis.co.uk

James Baggott

Consumer reporter

Auto Express Magazine

Don't forget to send via email your vehicles registration and your name giving a brief outline of your problems and the dealer concerned.

I have been told that a story is most likely to be published about this issue.

If you have outstanding issues with your Corolla now is the time to speak up or forever hold your peace.

My e-mail was returned ??????

Apparently the e-mail address is invalid.

Accylad

So is it the fact that certain Toyotas are made in Britain that is causing these niggly faults?

I mentioned about this on another thread and got told off (and in a way I sympathise as the person in question worked for Toyota so was only quite rightly justifiing his job and working practices)

My point however is this, there appears to be a 'confidence problem' with New Toyotas built in great Britain. Also it's not just Toyota, a friend of mine bought his 4th New Honda Civic last year, which was built in Britain (Swindon I believe?). The previous other 3 were built in Japan. This 4th one has been back at the dealers 17 times! The other previous 3 never gave any problems in his time of ownership.

Perhaps someone who works for a Japanesse car manufacturer in this country could show their superiors these 'threads' and hopefully something will be done to make the customers (myself included) to feel confident about buying Japanese cars 'Made in Britain'.

Japanese cars (that I have owned) are the best built and most reliable cars I have ever experianced in my motoring life.

There's also a gap appeared just above the radio - not sure whether it was there when I bought it - could be connected to the buzzing sound ???

This is "standard" Corolla E12 "problem".

Toyota dealers can repair you that...

Ask them for:"T/I REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR POP OUT/GAP BETWEEN IP UPR& CLUSTER". Its quite good&simple solution for eliminating the gap.

:thumbsup:

This is "standard" Corolla E12 "problem".

Toyota dealers can repair you that...

Ask them for:"T/I REPAIR PROCEDURE FOR POP OUT/GAP BETWEEN IP UPR& CLUSTER". Its quite good&simple solution for eliminating the gap.

:thumbsup:

What exactly is it if you dont mind me asking ? :huh:

Cheers

Accylad

So is it the fact that certain Toyotas are made in Britain that is causing these niggly faults?

I mentioned about this on another thread and got told off (and in a way I sympathise as the person in question worked for Toyota so was only quite rightly justifiing his job and working practices)

My point however is this, there appears to be a 'confidence problem' with New Toyotas built in great Britain. Also it's not just Toyota, a friend of mine bought his 4th New Honda Civic last year, which was built in Britain (Swindon I believe?). The previous other 3 were built in Japan. This 4th one has been back at the dealers 17 times! The other previous 3 never gave any problems in his time of ownership.

Perhaps someone who works for a Japanesse car manufacturer in this country could show their superiors these 'threads' and hopefully something will be done to make the customers (myself included) to feel confident about buying Japanese cars 'Made in Britain'.

Japanese cars (that I have owned) are the best built and most reliable cars I have ever experianced in my motoring life.

I would say probably yes. The finish on my car was appaling, I really should have rejected it but when I mentioned it the salesman just gave me a whithering look as if to say 'But you've signed for it now, we've got your old one, think of all the paperwork !'

My 03 plate Celica was a bag of :censor: mechanically and ironically that one was built in Japan ! At least the finish / cosmetics were spot on.

I really think TGB have a problem. From another thread it seems Honda has the similar problems too. Maybe thats why the British motor industry went belly up :lol:

At the end of the day, Toyotas reputation is on the line here. If I'd have bought Vauxhall or Rover I would have been looking in the mirror and thinking 'It your own fault' - but I bought a supposedly reliable car from a reliable manufacturer.

I'm ringing the dealers on Monday to get this buzzing sound sorted and the radio gap fixed as well. The other problems I'm just going to have to live with until my next service because I'm so fed up of taking time off work, sitting in the showroom, drinking flippin' coffee. The glovebox door will never be right, unless I let them replace it and then open myself up to a plethora of rattles, and the scratch on my instrument panel will just have to be a constant reminder of TGB's inability to built a faultless car.

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Accylad

Accylad, your noise at 4000-6000rpm may be related to the gear knob. Just hold it see if the noise stops.

In Australia they change gear selector cables and gear knob.

Don't hesitate to remove your dash. It is the only way to fix everything underneath to get rid off the dash noise (and probably the gear knob noise).

Accylad,

I get what sounds like the same noise as you at about 4000rpm plus. But mine appears to be coming from the radio which rattles in general use as well. If I put presure on the radio most of the rattle & noises seem to stop in my car.

The radio's so bad I'm thinking of replacing the radio completely to fix it.

Pb5

:wacko:

No. My CTS was built in UK at the end of 2002 or start of 2003 and I've had none of the problems these other owners have been unlucky with.

Bear in mind that it isn't just the factory which makes a difference in the production quality. As well as moving assembly to Europe, Toyota also sources a lot of components from the EU which if the car had been made in Japan would have come from the far east.

It may be some EU suppliers outside the UK which are causing the problems, if it really is an EU issue, rather than the ability of UK workers to put the cars together well.

Cheers

Paul.

Sad to say but true, I'm kindda getting fed up with the build quality and problems of my 02 CTS and so will be putting her up for sale soon.