Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Panel Filter Question

ToTo_17

Hey guys! I know its been covered and did a lot of searching, found some interesting stuff, but still curious to find out more about the sports panel filter. I have a Yaris TS, was thinking about making it breathe a lot easier, but dont really want to get an induction kit.

I've read a lot about the MAF sensor and that they sometimes go bad, is this also the case with panel filters or only with induction kits? Also, which panel filter would you guys recommend: TRD, TTE, BLITZ, K&N, or anything else? Do I still have to pay attention to whether the filter is wet or dry if its a panel filter?

Overall, would I gain anything regarding torque or performance with a sports panel filter versus the OEM paper filter, or are these gains very minimal and hardly noticeable? Is it worth getting one or just a bit better than the paper filter and should rather stick with the OEM paper instead?

Thanks again guys! :thumbsup:

1) Make sure that it's a dry filter

2) It won't make any performance changes - no matter whatever it says on the box

3) Anything is better than the paper thing that's curently there

4) They are pritty much all the same but a K&N will probably be the cheapest/easiest to get hold of

5) It won't ubik up the MAF sensor at all unless you fit a wet filter

Glad to help :thumbsup:

:lol::lol:

1) Make sure that it's a dry filter

4) They are pritty much all the same but a K&N will probably be the cheapest/easiest to get hold of

Thing is the K&N is a wet filter! :thumbsup:

Apart from that, Dave got it spot on! :yes:

Thanks so much! :thumbsup: So basically if it wont make any performance gains, why is it better than the stock paper filter? Better airflow and suction?

What is the difference precisely between wet and dry filters, I have just recently heard of this? Is it only that they are preoiled and never ever have to be cleaned???

The oiled filters are bad news on a Yaris as they will eventually cover the MAF sensor in oil and bring up an engine check light so I'd steer clear! :thumbsup:

ToTo - not so long ago you were telling us all that you didnt want more power!

The panel filters use a better quality gauze instead of paper - therefore they provide better filtration and therefore cleaner air into the engine.

Personally Id just got for a dry cone induction system, sounds good, no maintenance and might just give more power - but will almost certainly make the car feel more responsive - even if its just because it sounds better and makes you think its better!

ToTo - not so long ago you were telling us all that you didnt want more power!

The panel filters use a better quality gauze instead of paper - therefore they provide better filtration and therefore cleaner air into the engine.

Personally Id just got for a dry cone induction system, sounds good, no maintenance and might just give more power - but will almost certainly make the car feel more responsive - even if its just because it sounds better and makes you think its better!

I just mentioned that I am happy with the car as is, Im not expecting or wanting power from a perhaps filter purchase, just curious what is included in the deal. :thumbsup: If I go ahead and purchase one, Im not wanting more power, but if as you say cleaner air will go into the engine and it will provide better filtration versus the OEM paper filter, then I might get one... Will the panel filter make the car feel more responsive as well, or this is only true of the induction system?

I guess it probably will make a slight improvement - doesnt Alan Bradley have one?

I have a K&N one ..... yeah yeah I know that it's an oiled filter but I haven't had any problems

Yet :lol::lol: (had it on for 5000 mile so far)

At first I thought it made a better sound and felt more responsive ...... but I think it was all in my head :lol:

I've got a K&N also. You will notice an instant improvement when it is fitted as the throttle response is better. I bought mine from Demon Tweeks. A very quick and affordable 'mod' :thumbsup:

on my 1L and celica i noticed that the power curve has improved alot. But its using more fuel :(

I have K&N... You won't notice difference but its better :) and nice-to-have.

It is a wet but I have had no problems. Use common sense when clean and oil it.

The only problem i see with wet filters imo, is in induction kits where the cone is quite close to the maf sensor and there is a probability that the excess oil will cover the maf.

I dont see this problem on panel filters since the maf sensor sits on top of the air box so any excess oil will need to travel up the air box which is highly unlikely. But i would say dry filters are better since they are no maintenance and easy to clean with an air blaster if ever you need to, where as wet ones require wet cleaning kits that are more hassle.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

hey all, so just to sum up, will a new panel filter make difference to the sound?? :thumbsup: cheers

even more differance in sound if you change the weedy intake pipe to the standard air box

any idea where i can get a bigger intake pipe? ive just had a look and am i changing everything or just the middle pipe part?

I think its the pipe INTO the air box not from the airbox. Its the small snorkle like one coming out of the airbox to the air. Increasing the size of this should increase the sound to more of a roar. You can basically get any piping from any kind of hardware store to do this. Chavs usually do a similar thing of drilling holes upstream before the filter in the box to add to the roar but i dont recommend that :P

right i've just upgraded to gold so hence the name change! so i can take that whole snorkel thing off and put a silicon type pipe there instead?? sounds good!

Yeah thats the one. I guess you just cut a bigger hole in the box obv where it will go in. You don't even need to use a silicon hose if your budgets tight. Just get some plastic guttering pipe :P Fit a Sub port or some kind of flared end piping on the end to give the bell mouth look. Will make it look much tidier! Best of luck and look forward to seeing the results. O and look over on the ozecho forums as someone on there has done this mod before.

well after ages of having problems logging onto this site im back again, still no gold start tho :( right panel filter bought, doesnt fit, so cue me and my stanley and lots of excess rubber!!! disconnected intake pipe aswell and it sounds much better.

well after ages of having problems logging onto this site im back again, still no gold start tho :( right panel filter bought, doesnt fit, so cue me and my stanley and lots of excess rubber!!! disconnected intake pipe aswell and it sounds much better.

Lol dude your account "beentheredonethat" is showing the gold status! This used name is the new one you made when you subscribed? If so that is the one you should use on the gold forums! The "beentheredonethat" was the account for this site :P O and you didn't HAVE to have a new username if you didn't want in the first place btw! :P

O and regarding panel filter, a few people i remember saying that theres didnt fit either so they just attacked it aswell :D Good luck with that and keep us updated!

Lol dude your account "beentheredonethat" is showing the gold status! This used name is the new one you made when you subscribed? If so that is the one you should use on the gold forums! The "beentheredonethat" was the account for this site :P O and you didn't HAVE to have a new username if you didn't want in the first place btw! :P

O and regarding panel filter, a few people i remember saying that theres didnt fit either so they just attacked it aswell :D Good luck with that and keep us updated!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :ffs: :ffs: :ffs: :censor:

well, no one told me that!!!!!!! bugger ***** and poo, i shall resume using that account now. cheerz woody :blowup:

[im gooooooooooold im goooooooooooooold im goooooooooooooooold!!!!! :D :D :drool: