Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1980 Limited Edition Celica Gt - Help!

dmerit

I have just purchased a red with white interior '80 Celica GT cemmemorative edition. I am told they came in red, white or blue. The interiors, steering wheel, grill and side decals are unique from the standard celica. Since they were made in Jan. '80 I am thinking they were tied in to the Winter Olympics In lake Placid, NY in Feb. If I am wrong, then what were they commemorating? Mine was a one owner purchased from a lady who bought it off the showroom floor in Stevens Point, WI. in Feb. '80. It is perfect and needs nothing. I am currently trying to establish the history of this limited edition model.

Also interested in any additional literature on this model. I already have the regular sales brochure without the limited edition info in it.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

dmerit

• 4 years later...

I have just purchased a red with white interior '80 Celica GT cemmemorative edition. I am told they came in red, white or blue. The interiors, steering wheel, grill and side decals are unique from the standard celica. Since they were made in Jan. '80 I am thinking they were tied in to the Winter Olympics In lake Placid, NY in Feb. If I am wrong, then what were they commemorating? Mine was a one owner purchased from a lady who bought it off the showroom floor in Stevens Point, WI. in Feb. '80. It is perfect and needs nothing. I am currently trying to establish the history of this limited edition model.

Also interested in any additional literature on this model. I already have the regular sales brochure without the limited edition info in it.

dmerit

Dmerit

Here is some information on your USGP, I have a blue one. I have never been able to find out just how many of each color that Toyota made. I pulled this from one that is selling on eBay right now.

The USGP stands for United States Grand Prix. This Special Edition was to commemorate Toyota's association with Grand Prix racing in the United States. This $750.00 option was offered only in 1980. The option included the following. On the exterior: a special honeycomb grill, flat black B pillars, special side stripes, mud guards, and aluminum alloy wheels. On the interior, the special features included: ivory vinyl seats with black piping, ivory colored headliner and door panels, and a black leather wrapped steering wheel, a high performance sound system, which featured an electronic tuner, cassette deck, equalizer/amplifier, and four Speakers. The last item is a USGP dash plaque.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

dmerit

Dmerit

Here is some information on your USGP, I have a blue one. I have never been able to find out just how many of each color that Toyota made. I pulled this from one that is selling on eBay right now.

The USGP stands for United States Grand Prix. This Special Edition was to commemorate Toyota's association with Grand Prix racing in the United States. This $750.00 option was offered only in 1980. The option included the following. On the exterior: a special honeycomb grill, flat black B pillars, special side stripes, mud guards, and aluminum alloy wheels. On the interior, the special features included: ivory vinyl seats with black piping, ivory colored headliner and door panels, and a black leather wrapped steering wheel, a high performance sound system, which featured an electronic tuner, cassette deck, equalizer/amplifier, and four Speakers. The last item is a USGP dash plaque.

Bill

dmerit

Hi,

Just joined up.

Just to confirm Bill's info, sound right to me. I just purchased the red one on eBay as of 7/28, very excited, 3 owner car w/ 75K on her, looks very nice, should be in my hands in a week or two. The high bidder flaked out and I was able to work a deal with the owner, a very nice gentleman. He is sending me all the documentation he has on the car, including original brochure and selling dealer info as well as the original owner's phone number who he just spoke with this weekend.

Brent

dmerit

Would love to see some pics :thumbsup:

dmerit

Would love to see some pics :thumbsup:

Send me your e-mail address and I'll see if I can send you some pics.

Brent