Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Road Noise

windy1

Bought my T2 1.8 petrol hatch in Jan 05 and very happy except for one thing. The engine is refined and quiet and the windnoise is neglible. However, at motorway speeds, the road noise is intrusive and louder than the engine. You notice a massive difference when you go on one of those new quiet road surfaces.

Many respected reviews confirm that excessive noise at cruising speeds is a negative factor. In contrast the latest Vectra is praised for its quietness, though I have never been in one and I don't fancy the reliability and build quality compared to Toyota. I recently made a trip in Germany in a BMW320 and at 200kph on the concrete autobahn, it was quieter than my Avensis at 70mph.

Can anyone say what the cause of the problem is? I have heard various stories about the wheel size, the type of tyre etc but I rather suspect it isn't fixable. I wonder if the latest model is going to address this issue, and if so how.

Mine is Avensis 1.8VVTi Saloon January 2005.

I've noticed huge wind noise above 160 km/h. Went to the dealer and they just couldn't find the reason and they said as speed limit on the motorway is 120 km/h people drive not more then 140-150 km/h so no one has complained yet. Later I found the problem by myself. At 160 km/h, when wind noise started, I've retracted (closed) outside mirrors and noise was gone. Obviously, dealer can't do anything about it because it's design error.

Road noise - many people complain. I don't because found out that my tyres are the quitest of all brands on other Avensis cars. I have Bridgestone Turanza ER30 205/55-16. They came with car. All people with tyres 225 are complaining. They all have big road noise and their rims are 17'. Mine are 16'.

Mine too has a lot of tyre noise and i'm using dunlop sport 3000 which came on the car new. From what i've heard from other avensis owners and from driving another serveral avensis, they are all the same no matter what size rim or tyre make. All i do now is turn up the radio a little louder job done. Must admit its a shame about the tyre noise has that is all that spoils a perfect all round package.

I have a '53 plate Avensis T-Spirit with Dunlop 17 " tyres and have commented on this Forum many times concerning the intrusive road noise, not just at motorway speeds, but at anything over 10 miles per hour.

I even wrote to Toyota GB describing the problem and asking if any modifications were in the pipeline to alleviate this, but they said there were'nt and just pointed out a reference in the manual to "some wind noise would be experienced when 17" tyres were fitted".

It was even intimated that the road noise was only apparent because of the quiet engine and low wind noise!

Turning the radio up very loud, in my opinion, is no answer to the problem.

I have tried an Avensis with 16" tyres and with different makes and, in my opinion, there is very little difference in the road noise compared to my Dunlop 17" low profiles. Altering tyre pressures only affects the straight line performance.

I have been driving for over 40 years and have never experienced this problem with any of my previous cars, although I know that other modern cars, e.g Saab 9-3, also exhibit high road noise levels,

It is not likely that the many differing road surfaces in the UK are going to be made quieter in the short term, although advances are being made in tyre design, and so I think it is up to manufacturers like Toyota to solve this problem by modifying the car's supension systems.

I have had the Avensis for 9 months now, but have still not got used to the road noise, especially at motorway speeds or on poor surfaces. It is a pity, because the new Avensis is otherwise a well built and classy car.

• Like 1

I agree with 65special. My T4 53 plate fitted with dunlop tyres is noisy. Much noisier than my previous car a Volvo 940 Estate. The dealer says it is becuase of the low profile tyres. He said Mercedes etc are just the same if they have low profiled tyres.???? I have accepted this and put up with noise but I still think the car is the best I have owned.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links