Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Toyota Landcruiser - Colorado Or Amazon?

E Alderton

I am thinking of purchasing a Toyota Landcruiser Colorado

The D4 seems to do much better mpg than the TD - is that correct?

Also, the D4 was quickly replaced by the Amazon - is the difference just body shape - or was there a change of engine/gearbox etc. etc.

This vehicle will be coming 'for life' - i.e. we'd be planning on 10-20 years ownership - so it's important that it isn't too 'unusual' so that spares don't become a problem!

Hoping to pay UK10,000 - UK 11,000 for appropriate year!

Does anyone know anything about the above? Is the Colorado a good choice? Or should we wait until the Amazon is old enough to meet our price!!!

One didnt replce the other ,they are 2 different vehilces and each have their own "evolutionary" line within the landcruiser family.

The Amazon have large 6 or 8 cyl engines while the smaller Prado/Colorado has 4 cyl or smaller 6 cyl.

Both vehicles have a huge following but if you want economy then the Prado is the one.

Prado is the name it is known as in most parts.

Gosh, you can tell I'm a Toyota novice!

OK, I'm wading my way through the literature and what I get is that the

Landcruiser Colorado

is now (since 2003) just called Landcruiser

Is that right so far???

And, yes, I do want the 31.4 mpg!! So, is there a lot of difference between the 96 - 02 models Colorado/Prado and the 2002 - now landcruiser? Just so that we don't run out of spares in 2030!!! Actually I'm serious about keeping it - we currently have an Isuzu (hope that's not a dirty word) Trooper 3.1 - which we love to bits and are keeping as a pet. So the Landcruiser will be a companion vehicle and won't get lonely.

Many thanks

Gosh, you can tell I'm a Toyota novice!

OK, I'm wading my way through the literature and what I get is that the

Landcruiser Colorado

is now (since 2003) just called Landcruiser

Is that right so far???

And, yes, I do want the 31.4 mpg!! So, is there a lot of difference between the 96 - 02 models Colorado/Prado and the 2002 - now landcruiser? Just so that we don't run out of spares in 2030!!! Actually I'm serious about keeping it - we currently have an Isuzu (hope that's not a dirty word) Trooper 3.1 - which we love to bits and are keeping as a pet. So the Landcruiser will be a companion vehicle and won't get lonely.

Many thanks

We were all novices once :yes:

As far as I know,and Im talking the aussie experience, the colarado is still a colarado and the Amazon is still an Amazon and they are both landcruisers.(we call them Prados and 100 series)

The Prado branched off from the evolutionary tree in 1984 to form its own family :rolleyes:

The differnce between the newer and older model colarados is that the newer they are,the more bloated and thus slightly less capable offroad.I think the newer ones ,2002 onwards have a longer wheelbase, more weight which cause them to sit lower losing ground clearance. This is exaggerated by the extra plastic add ons .Im recalling this from my memory of the off/on road tests in Aust4x4 monthly.

Again,from memory the 1999 -2002 were considered the pick of the bunch,but thats if your going offroad

We have lots of them here and they certainly dont have any quirks or unreliabilty issues.This is reflected in the high resale value.

My brother drives a diesel 2000 model over a 1200 klms a week in the north west and he loves it.

If its offroad often it will need the shock absorbers changed frequently to maintain good steering.Its a good idea to change them when you buy it unless they obviously new

The engine is great but like all engines with alloy heads and 50 sensors ,it must be maintained.

You cannot fit tyres that are more than 10mm wider than whats fitted at the factory.

Australian owners reckon to get the best from them,rechip the computer,fit a free flowing exhaust and add a 50 mm suspension lift

I cant guarantee there will be parts around in 30years any more than I can guarantee there will be diesel fuel :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

In the UK Totota have droped the colarado name for the new shape 2002 onward models .They are just called Lc 3,Lc4,Lc5 according to specs.These have the D4d engine.You can check these out althow they may be a bit pricey.You will get better value if you go for the 96 to 2002 model .The latest ones have the same D4d engine as in the newer models and it is a rock solid car.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Have you considered buying a petrol version and converting it to lpg? The reduction in price will easily pay for the conversion and leave you lots of change to buy a sat nav with a list of the 11000 service stations that sell lpg.

And, you can sleep at night knowing that you are polluting so much less!

S

• 6 months later...

Have you considered buying a petrol version and converting it to lpg? The reduction in price will easily pay for the conversion and leave you lots of change to buy a sat nav with a list of the 11000 service stations that sell lpg.

And, you can sleep at night knowing that you are polluting so much less!

S

hi iam new to the toc club but i have just bought a 98 r reg colorado 3.4 v6 petrol with a multi point lpg system it has a 80 litre torpedo tank fitted which you can fill to just over 64 litres at 40p a litre when the guy asks yo for £26 quid for over 200 miles plus its like being in a time warp gives you a nice warm feeling inside and you don't need o watch your pocket as much only had the car two weeks but already i dont like getting out and want to go for another cruise lovin it thanks mike