Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 5 Front Bumper Removal.

Domma

Hi guys,

I have still not got the electrics sorted on this mint Gen 5 i have recieved but Toyota Reading today helped shed some light on it.

I need to get at the loom which supplies the N/S headlight as this is where they found the 12 burnt out wires.

The guy reckons i need to take out the radiator to get better access to the loom and suggests i have the front bumper off to aid this. I also need to find a replacment headlight control relay which i'm told is next to the front N/S shock absorber. ( mine is currently on the passenger seat!!!)

I am going to take your advise Daktari and get an Auto electrician in but want to keep the cost down by doing some of the dismantaling first.

Any suggestions on removing the front bumper correctly would be much appreciated. Is it an over or under job to remove the mounting fixings?

Cheers Domma.........

You`ll need to be able to get underneath, so pop it on axle stands. Whip off the front wheels and remove the arch liner srews and pop stud things. remove the plastic trim in front of the bonnet slam panel. You`ll have to take off the little grille thingy at the front. 3 screws. remove upper and lower bumper braces. You`ll know them when you see them. then undo the bolts holding the main bumper brackets. Think its 2 either side. oh and the foglights need to be removed if you`ve got them fitted. Think thats about it. :thumbsup:

PS.. It`s quite heavy so get someone to give you a hand lifting it off. Don`t want to drop it and risk damaging the paintwork. :o

Thanks for the reply,

Looks like its a job for the weekend then! No Fog lights fitted so that will save me five minutes at least!!!

Cheers Dom.........

Woah there, slow down a minute. :blink:

You're trying to remove the rad to get access to the lighting loom? Fair enough, but the rad out is an easy job, removing the front bumper won't help you to get it out. ;) Just remove the fans, undo the pipes (there is a drain tap on the RHS), unbolt the clamps at the top and the rad just lifts out.

If you really want to remove the front bumper, it doesn't need the wheel arch liners removing anyway. :huh: You need to undo the the undertray from the bumper underneath the car, remove the plastic cover on top (and the carbon fibre cross peice - undo the sidelights for this), then there are the fiddly little bits in the air inlet opening thingy (looking up). They are push clips, and they don't unscrew (even though it looks like they should). Use a small flat screwdriver to prise the middle bit out, and then the whole clip can be removed, and the metal brackets that they hold. Hope that makes sense, it's not easy to describe these things.

Oh, and the bumper clips into the front wings, you need to pull the edge of the bumper straight out the left and right to release it (or prise it out from behind).

Thanks Mikeb,

I do need the rad out but Toyota also said they had the front bumper off! I'm not to sure of the reason for this. I hit the guy with 101 questions quickly over the phone, he was helpfull when to be honest he did'nt have to be but he was also in a kind of a hurry.

Would i need to have the bumper off to get better access to the head light motor units? Maybe this is why they had the bumper off? I don't know.

I have another question but its more electrical orientated so i'm going to do a seperate post. keep an eye out Mike, thanks for your help.

Dom...........

If you really want to remove the front bumper, it doesn't need the wheel arch liners removing anyway.

Nobody said he did :) . But you have to remove the screws and studs at the front of them where it attaches to the h/lamp motor access panels. Sorry my bad for not describing it properly. Bit rushed. :thumbsup:

I'm going to need to get at the head lamp motors anyway so i need the access panels out i assume.

Anybody know if the same age (1993) MR2 uses the same headlight motors and loom around that area as the Celica.

Trying to broaden my search of donor cars in a scrap yard for the looms i may need.

Ta Dom...........

I`m not 100% sure but i seem to remember that they are indeed the same. :thumbsup:

If you really want to remove the front bumper, it doesn't need the wheel arch liners removing anyway.

Nobody said he did :) . But you have to remove the screws and studs at the front of them where it attaches to the h/lamp motor access panels. Sorry my bad for not describing it properly. Bit rushed. :thumbsup:

Sorry misread your post re. arch liners, but you still don't need to remove the front wheels. :P

I'm going to need to get at the head lamp motors anyway so i need the access panels out i assume.

Anybody know if the same age (1993) MR2 uses the same headlight motors and loom around that area as the Celica.

Trying to broaden my search of donor cars in a scrap yard for the looms i may need.

Ta Dom...........

Not sure about the MR2 wiring. Electrically, they are probably very similar, but I wouldn't expect the loom to be the same length. Have you tried TCB (see stickies) for the parts you need?

I`ve just got a fetish about taking wheels off.. Any excuse to touch rubber :lol: