Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting Close To Buying

Tawse57

My Fiat Brava '98 is being serviced today and my local garage think it is wise if I change it sooner than later so, as some you know, I have been considering a few cars for a while...

1. Toyota Corolla - I am 6' 2" and the Corolla is just too 'tight' IMPO. I love those cars.

2. Toyota Prius - Can't justify the asking prices for the hybrid I am afraid. I just feel in my gut that it is just too expensive for what it s by about 5K. Shame, as it has two of the important factors I am looking for in a car - auto and cruise control.

3. VW Golf 1.9 TDI - Very economical car to drive but very pricey to buy at even 1 or 2 years old from a VW dealer. (My local dealer has a 1 year old one for say for £2.74 than Drivethedeal can source me a brand new one of the same spec.). How do they get away with charging such prices. I am also concerned that VW is living on past reputation and it, like the Corolla, might be a tad 'tight'. It owuld suit my desire for an easy to park small car though.

I have discounted the Mazda 6 a long time ago, ruled out the Honda Accord due to no hatch and the new Civic, well, I have not read a good review about them re ride quality and 'gimmicks'. Would consider a Honda CR-V and the new Rav4 but, again, they are just a tad too pricey in their diesel forms. I also cannot justrify new unless it is a 0% deal as the depreciation is just too big a hit.

Speaking of diesels...

4. Toyota Avensis - I have never owned a diesel but have driven them and, well, with current prices and MPG I am not sure whether to opt for a T3-X 1.8 petrol or to go for a diesel. I think the Avensis is a good size for someone of my height altough I do worry about it being a 'big' car when it comes to parking.

I would like an auto with cruise control but there seems to be very few Toyota approved auto Avensis' around and I cannot believe that a car of this statue does not have cruise control unless you go for the top of the range T-Spirit spec!!!? How stupid is that - even the Mazda 6 comes with cruise control!

I wish to pay about £11,500ish for a 1 or 2 year old Avensis - what do you think I would get for that price. In my part of the World the Toyota approved Avensis' on the Toyota website seem to be a good 1,500 to 2,500 more than elsewhere in the UK. That's a lot of money and a tad cheeky to say the least as the local approved prices are begining to get into the territory of new cars from internet dealers. I've read about so many of you paying between 10K and 11K for your Avensis that I am more than a tad jealous!

Safety is important to me also so. I am also a single man - no family anymore since my Mum passed away 3 weesk ago after a long illness and a courageous fight - so is the Avensis simply overkill for a one man band?

Good

Good room for someone of my size.

Safe car.

Reliable.

I work in computers and, although not working currently, I think the Avensis will be good for me visiting client sites, transporting clients, etc.

Bad

No cruise control

No auto diesel

Seems very pricey in my part of the World via the approved dealership system.

Maybe too 'big' in our congested cities?

The main advice I am seeking is whether to seek out a diesel or to opt for a 1.8 T3-X? Is the auto petrol something I should consider if I can find one - what is the auto petrol MPG like?

Thanks for any advice re the above questions and points.

Welcome to TOC.

I own an Avensis 2ltr VVTI Auto Petrol.

The mpg is averaging 35, thats includes a lot of mileage through country roads and quite a bit of motorway work.

I average 400miles to a 60ltr tank of fuel.

The satnav system is ok, not brilliant so i also use a tomtom derivative.

Hope this helps you mate.

Sooty :D

Thank Sooty - that is the previous model Avensis isn't it?

A friend bought a 1.8 one from a Honda dealer and says he is getting about late 30s MPG on average from it. I have been a tad put off them re the oil issues I have reasd about on here. Having said that, my friend paid 7K for his 2002 one and there seems to be plenty around. Shame, nearly all are in green in my part of the World and that is my least favourite colour. I would consider a silver one.

I had a discussion with my local garage guy this morning and he made the valid point that, for safety reasons, it might be better stumping up the extra money for the latest model Avensis due to the increased safety features in it - loads and loads of airbags!

Hi...

I had a similar dilemma last year (blimey i've had my car a year now!!)

I cast about for toyotas in my neck of the woods, and up near my parents in Derby

(I thought Derby, made there, bound to be loads about second hand)

Anyway, I finally got two cars from Toyota World in Bristol (the parkway branch)

yes, I know, I only started looking for a replacement for my Carina, but ended up ditching the wifes Megan too. Renaults are such money pits! we had spent £500 on it that year alone!!!!

I dealt with a very helpful lady there (I can give you her name and contact of you're interested), who did all the searching and sourced my Avensis and Corolla - at a price that was better than could be found up North! (we had told her we were looking all over the country for the right deal)

I got finance from Toyota as they could offer very (very) good rates.

My 1 year old car was about 12k book price. With my old banger as part ex, plus a little cash, this was dropped to about 9k. Wives Corolla was 8.5k book, and we got it down to 7k.

I've got the T3-x 1.8, which I'm rather chuffed about!

one of the best cars i have owned! (one fault - a windy windscreen - sorted by dealer under warrenty)

I may replace the Corolla soon - if it gets an interior make over like the Yaris and Corolla Verso got.

Safe - 9 airbags, including one for your knee! Built like a sherman tank as far as I can tell!!! traction control, stability control, ABS... what more could you ask for???

Reliable - despite all the gripes on this site, I still think this car beats the opposition.

I too work in IT and Safety Engineering. This is a good car for taking the customer down the pub in.

It's not a Badge (think BMW or Merc), its not a flash sporty car (making them think blinking contractor - paid too much). What it is is good, solid and dependable, just the right message to give.

I wish there was a diesel autobox - and cruse control too... that would mean i only had to steer!

go for it!

(2005 Avensis 2.0 petrol estate)

If you're 6ft 2" you'll love the space in the Avensis, and it's great for passengers too, in the front and back (unlike e.g. Mazda 6 with hideous cabin noise and choppy suspension). Your customers will certainly appreciate it. It's great to step into something that feels like a 'proper car'.

It's not cumbersome to drive around town at all -- the 1.8 has electronic PAS, which is very light and great for town though a bit twitchy for motorway. I think before 2005, the 1.8 didn't have VSC.

Undoubtedly very safe and reliable, as already stated. Oil issue shouldn't be a danger post-2003, never seemed to be with anything above a 1.8 petrol.

I have cruise control -- it's a retrofit here in Finland on my 'T 3x and a bit'. Works a treat -- there's a post not too long ago about it here.

I have D4d T3-X, very pleased with it, mine returns about 44mpg (my calcs, the onboard computers shows nearer 55mpg, the one thing I'm not too impressed with) You were right in that you'll need a Tspirit 2.0 petrol to get cruise and an auto box. Having driven an auto, I must say I prefer the diesel, the box, to me, saps a huge amount from the engine (petrol puts out nearly 150BHP, diesel 114, but diesel feels faster)

This has been my first diesel car, and I'm very happy with it!

hope this helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links