Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 5 Brakes,

Cexy_Ratt

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this?, my brakes are all in good workign order, just passed MOT, with a very slight inbalance on the rear ones. Anyways they all have good pads and disks.

They just seem to lack a little, have to press quite hard ( not overly ) to get a real good feeling of slowing down al lot ( when your going fast ) .

any ideas or suggestions?

That's a sign of good progressive breaking - like they should be :lol: The harder you press the better it brakes - not like these crappy new ones where every time you press the pedal you hit the windscreen :lol:

I think Gen6 are the same! I took mine for an MOT on Sat and presumed the brake pads were on the way out. I was told they had probably covered less than a few thousand miles. They were Diamond pads aswell and so should be better tha standard. Im wondering whether there spec means there more like race pads as the warmer they get the better and there is no fade even round Oulton Park!

Sotal I know what you mean about modern cars, my Mrs has one and I have to wear a neck brace for 5 mins until I get used to it!!

That's a sign of good progressive breaking - like they should be :lol: The harder you press the better it brakes - not like these crappy new ones where every time you press the pedal you hit the windscreen :lol:

Well said. :) When the gen 5 first came out it was praised for it's good brakes. I had a polo for a hire car a while back, and the brakes were on/off like a switch. It was horrible to drive in traffic.

I had no idea modern cars where like this having never driven a modern car, untill I got a kia rio courtesy car when my celica was serviced, and at the t-junction leaving the garage, did THE worlds most pointless emergency stop.

Proper progressive breaking where you feel like you're in control, the way it should be.

Coming from a Proton Satria GTi to my 5th gen GT4, the celica brakes felt like they were broke the 1st time I took it out for a drive lol, but you get used to it, moden cars brakes are so vicious they spoil you.

I've been driving my 21 year old 1.3 driver MK1 golf for the last 6 months before beef up the brakes on the restoration.

It has 230mm solid front discs and a tiny sevo designed for left hand drive.

The breaks on the Gen 5 i'm now driving feel like they come straight out of NASA!!!

No more brown trouser!

Domma.......

Yeah , was thinkin that, water saturation etc... sure it prob hasnt been changed, gonna do gearbox oil aswell in next week or so.

Well said. :) When the gen 5 first came out it was praised for it's good brakes. I had a polo for a hire car a while back, and the brakes were on/off like a switch. It was horrible to drive in traffic.

I agree! Whenever I use the work vans the first time that day I always get a short, sharp reminder to put my seatbelt on!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links