Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ice As Nice

jaxx

finally got round to fitting my new ICE install

which has so far comprised of totally stripping the interior and removal of the old fancy pants system and all associated gubbins!

Now inluding...

Sony MEXR5 DVD Headunit with 20gig HD5 Hardrive

Alpine MRV F450 amp

Alpine Type R 17cm Comps in the front

Alpine Type R 13cm Coaxials in the rear

Alpine Type S 10inch sub, fit in a custom box made by Neil Turbo (top man _ catch him on IMOC)

And a 1 Farad Power Cap

The amp is a nice compact 5 channel unit and more than enough to make a good system in the limited space of the MR2. The 10inch sub, although not the biggest and most powerful item on the market does a grand job of creating some good bass

Makes a suberb change from plastic subs and shagged tweeters

Heres a few pics, youll have to mind the odd bit of dirt, messyness, and ill fitting panels, it wasnt quite complete when i took them B)

new HU

iceprogress006.jpg

amp and power cap just tucked away out of sight

iceprogress005.jpg

iceprogress003.jpg

sub in funky box (utilised the old sub box area and is a doddle to fit and removed)

iceprogress007.jpg

BOOM BOOM B)

looks fantastic mate :D sounds soooo much better than the standard rubbish huh :) I just finished my ice install last weekend, best money so far that I have put into the mr2, tunes ready for summer B) :thumbsup:

Looking good Rob, nice components.

Is it going to be T-bars in the boot then?

Joe

Looking good Rob, nice components.

Is it going to be T-bars in the boot then?

Joe

they do actually just fit behind the drivers seat but it does have to be nothced forward slightly

and being a bit of a lanky streak makes it a tad cramped, so yeah bung then in the boot, i normally did that anways as it gets on my nerves if they start rattling about

Looks excellent Rob! :thumbsup:

I thought you were dead against Sony though? :unsure:

Very nice, what do think of the headunit?

im thinking of a DVD one when i upgrade next :thumbsup:

lol cheeky mare :P no i havnt, iv done the reverse and repaird it to well lets say , check the topic that i create in a few mins :P

looks good mate! Glad you are pleased with the box!!

I do very rarely venture over here too!!

Will get some pictures of my latest install up when the wires are no longer a fire hazard! ;)

Looks excellent Rob! :thumbsup:

I thought you were dead against Sony though? :unsure:

im not against it, theres just better quality and better made HUs out there, but this one is fully compatible and can control my HD5 Walkman, and it can hold 7gig of music on a DVD or have a screen fitted to it in future

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Could you tell me how you mounted the amp behind the seats? I want to install mine there but im abit unsure of making holes in the metal work?

Thanks

Didnt mount it to the actual metal...

Firstly i source a reasonable size sheet of 2mm thick aluminium and used the shape of the amp as a pattern to drawn around and make a similar sized plate, plus leaving around 5mm each side, i also marked the amps mounting holes.

... then cut the shape out using a normal jigsaw but with a metal cutting blade, any decent jigsaw should hack through thin alloy plate with ease, also drill out the mounting holes, just wear gloves in case it 'snags' for any reason.... ouch!

... next, with the carpet removed from the car, using a 12 inch rule you can slowly scrape the insulation pad away from the back. It is glued on and leaves a bit behind, but if your careful itll still come away in a sizable layer.

... next back in the car with the carpet, line up the plate as if it was your amp and mark the hole positions on the carpet surface, your best doing this in the car as part of the carpet tucks behind the panels when re-installed so you dont want to be too close to the edge.

... use a power drill to push through the carpet at the same points using a bit thats slightly larger than your screw threads, youll need to do this to help remove the rubber backing for getting the screws through, otherwise youll struggle. I also made these holes slightly oversize and used some plastic electrical panel bushes for strength in the holes (see image later)

... now using some glue such as evostick or araldite for a good stong bond, adhere the plate to the rear of the carpet using half a dozen small amounts (dont need to slobber it on all over) and leave for a few hours, best bet is to pass the screws (i used allen cap screws) though the holes, and spin the nuts on, this will help to keep it lined up as the glue cures

... once thats ready using the glue again, restick the insulation back on covering up the plate, you will be able to manipulate the insulation easy enough to get the the screw heads.

... now you can attach your amp to the opposing side, you may choose to do this in or out the car, for a small amp youll get away with it out of the car quite easily, but larger ones id suggest refitting the carpet and working from inside the car with it lifted up.

... poke the screws through the holes and seat your amp on them, then simply lock down with Nylocs or spring washers and normal nuts. The insulation pad will have plenty of give to protect anything from the screw tops and itll rest nicely back against the firewall.

... once thats done, you can reinstall any removed panels and start wiring up, have fun :)

samp.jpg

Hi thanks for that. I got a questions oh lol

What exactly is holding the metal plate in place? I know you said uv glued it to the carpet, but it looks like the carpet is the only thing stopping it come forward?

Thanks

just the force of the amp being clamped against it from the opposite side, it wont go nowhere, the plate is just acting like a massive washer if you will

HI, 1 last question and i promice il shut up lol :!Removed!:

Why did you take the insulation pad away when the metal plate sits infront of it?

Thanks

so the amp is clamped against the carpet/rubber pad only, the insutlation pad then covers the bolt heads and stops them banging against the rear wall

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links