Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Size Tyres For Rav4 16 Inch Alloys

malcolmrs2000

I've got 235/60 R16 on my 16" alloys

Are they 4x4 tyres or road tyres?...all the x5's etc seem to run lower profile tyres now....

Bridgestone front & Yoky coky on the back...............you want prawn crackers with that? :D

Tahoma's on mine all round and still got 6mm......................

Speacial Fried Rice please...

The two standard tyre choices fitted to the RAV4 are 215/ 70/ 16 and 235 /60/ 16 and they are both an ON ROAD tyre pattern. should have the loading code number 100W after the tyre size :thumbsup: .

See WWW.MYTYRES.CO.UK for tyre choices :) .

• 1 year later...

....what is the difference between the letter added to the end of the load rating?

The 100 is the load rating but I have seen H, W and several others....

DJ

....what is the difference between the letter added to the end of the load rating?

The 100 is the load rating but I have seen H, W and several others....

DJ

Those letters refer to speed rating of the tyre....dont think your ever get near them though........

Go here link and select the speed index drop down........

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Duh!

What a thickie I am... I knew that but did not expect the rating to be next to the load rating....ugh...

Only remaining question is that RAV rims are apparentlt JJ profile and *most* tyres dont state what they are...

Cars are usualy J profile, but I have first hand experience of dealers selling what would "appear" to be J rim compatible on Ravs....

I guess I needs to understand the difference between J and JJ....

DJ

Can someone tell me what size tyres they have on 16inch alloys and also 17 inch alloys on Rav4s....wife has steel wheels nad 215 x 70 x 16 tyres just now...

On my RAV 4.2 I use 235/70 on the 16 inch alloys and I´m happy with the size and the chosen Tyres (Matador Izzarda MP71).

They´re also available in the standard 235/60 size.

See also: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68563

235_70_1.sized.jpg

Ingolf

Tires size is a big issue.

Personally I really don't understand why people want to have wider tires under their cars other then spending (wasting) money.

I own two 4.2 Rav 4's and they have two different tire sizes. On the GX I have 215/70 R16 and on the NRG 235/60 R16, all standard fitted by Toyota. The Rav 4 with 215/70 R16 tires drives better then when with the 235/60 R16 tires. Yes, I did swapped the whole set around to emulate the difference between the short wheel base with the long wheel base.

A wider tire only gives more road resistance so more fuel consumption and noise, more aqua planning in the rain and gives more wandering. Sure in the ideal world with good roads and no rain wider slicks gives you a better gripe but the Rav 4 isn’t a race car. Also indeed in the Sahara you better of with wider (and lower tire pressure) tires. But here most people (like me) drive those Rav 4’s on just tarmac and once a while a dirt track.

As soon as my 235/60 R16 tires on the NRG are for renewal I will change them for 215/70 R16 tires too.

Tire brands, the Bridgestone tires are bad in road noise. The Dunlop’s on the GX a far better in that, just had a 2 weeks holiday and drove lots of miles in France, Belgie, Nederland and Deutschland. Also I have read (but not tested by my self) very good results with the Goodyear Wrangler, http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_reifen/index.html

bt

Personally I really don't understand why people want to have wider tires under their cars other then spending (wasting) money.

I can only post my own experiences and so I have to say, that the 235/70 are cheaper in most shops than the 235/60. (215 was no option for me)

Examples from a well known, german shop for offroadtyres:

235/70R16 105H Pirelli Scorpion STR: 145€

235/60R16 100H Pirelli Scorpion STR: 157€

215/70R16 100H Pirelli Scorpion STR: 136€

235/70R16 106T Toyo Open Country W/T: 125€

235/60R16 100H Toyo Open Country W/T: 144€

215/70R16 100T Toyo Open Country W/T: 121€

235/70R16 106T Yokohama Geolandar IT G071: 141€

235/60R16 100T Yokohama Geolandar IT G071: 150€

215/70R16 100T Yokohama Geolandar IT G071: 128€

235/70R16 105H Matador MP81 Conquerra: 98€

235/60R16 100H Matador MP81 Conquerra: 103€

215/70R16 100H Matador MP81 Conquerra: 92€

A wider tire only gives more road resistance so more fuel consumption and noise, more aqua planning in the rain [...]

But when you only change the height of the tyre (60 to 70) and stay with the 235, there´s no difference. :thumbsup:

When changing from 215 to 235 the difference should only be small.

Ingolf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links