Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3s-fe Engine - Getting More Power Out Of It

ColinC

It IS an import , i never said it wasn't- but i am right ? arent i ? the first few gen6's were 3sfe before they realised it was tooooo slow

Ah sorry, didn't realise it was an import (i.e. SS1). But no, they made the the 3s-fe and 3s-ge celica alongside each other, and sold the 3s-fe SS1 as the low spec model in japan - kind of like the equivalent of the ST/GT specs in the UK. (God only knows why they gave us the 1.8 7a-fe, and not the 2.0 3s-fe over here. :blink: )

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ColinC

• mikeb

• chris202

• martin_longbow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(God only knows why they gave us the 1.8 7a-fe, and not the 2.0 3s-fe over here. :blink: )

Yeah, pretty pointless having a Celica with so little power.

Even the 2.0 ST is very underpowered, and isn't anywhere near even the lowest spec Jap model, the SS1. I don't know the BHP of the 2.0 ST off-hand, but I reckon it's around the 120 mark? And the SS1 is 138 - bit of a difference, especially when they're both 2 litre engines!

If you are after a beams, they pop up every now and then on eBay so keep an eye on there...

It IS an import , i never said it wasn't- but i am right ? arent i ? the first few gen6's were 3sfe before they realised it was tooooo slow

Ah sorry, didn't realise it was an import (i.e. SS1). But no, they made the the 3s-fe and 3s-ge celica alongside each other, and sold the 3s-fe SS1 as the low spec model in japan - kind of like the equivalent of the ST/GT specs in the UK. (God only knows why they gave us the 1.8 7a-fe, and not the 2.0 3s-fe over here. :blink: )

aahhhh :thumbsup: .....heres a question then , surely a 3sfe would be cheaper to insure than a 3sge BUT would insurance companys know this or even care ? My car is insured as a 2.0GT but thats it , no questions over power/engine etc etc .

I bet they dont know its the less powerful version as they co-existed with each other for a while. but I also think that it would turn out to be the same price as the 3SGE model, so maybe its best to sell up! Obviously find out first!

aahhhh :thumbsup: .....heres a question then , surely a 3sfe would be cheaper to insure than a 3sge BUT would insurance companys know this or even care ? My car is insured as a 2.0GT but thats it , no questions over power/engine etc etc .

I think they just play the import card, and most insurance companies probably class all import gen 6 celicas as the same (obviously, not inluding the GT4). It may not make any difference between a lowly SS1 and a beams SS3!

I think they just play the import card, and most insurance companies probably class all import gen 6 celicas as the same (obviously, not inluding the GT4). It may not make any difference between a lowly SS1 and a beams SS3!

Yes, they don't make any distinction. I have an SS1 do it's down as a GT, and I'm paying for a GT. So in the near future I'll be changing it for an SS2 - no point in paying for the power if you don't have it :)

My ss2 is actually down as an ss2, that's with norwich union. Blooming pricey it is!!!

Where you from Dan???? and what points have you got or accidents have you been in???

*****, i feel like i'm "wanted" :lol:

I pay £700 fully comp, no accidents, 3 years no claims, no points, live mid way between chorley and preston.

It was a little less when i lived cheshire but only by a few pounds.

If you can find me cheaper insurance with all mods declared, then please go ahead! Id love any suggestions :thumbsup:

Hey, Dan. This will pee you off.

Try, £390 fully comp on the faff (import), all mods declared.

lol

hey up paul, good stuff matey :thumbs:

cant really argue with that can yer!

Hey just saw this. I think it works with non turbo models. If not there are certainly chips that do for around the same price. They promise 5 to 20 bhp increase. This promises 45+

This might help you find some of that power you were looking for

Anyone know of these

Clicky

Hey just saw this. I think it works with non turbo models. If not there are certainly chips that do for around the same price. They promise 5 to 20 bhp increase. This promises 45+

Anyone know of these

Clicky

And I promise it doesn't. ;)

Anyone know of these

Clicky

Thanks mate, but yeah I saw those before and apparently it's a bit of a scam, because they aren't good for the engine.

I'd be happy with 20bhp gains though, but it seems changing engine components seems to be the only way to get that :(

Anyone know of these

Clicky

Thanks mate, but yeah I saw those before and apparently it's a bit of a scam, because they aren't good for the engine.

I'd be happy with 20bhp gains though, but it seems changing engine components seems to be the only way to get that :(

Well TRD panel filter and ss custom exhaust made a fair wee diference ! accelerations better and the car feels stronger .

Those "chips" are a joke too , i believe they just over fuel the engine a bit ? :unsure:

Whats next though ? anything else worth changing ? manifold?......whole engine i bet :crybaby:

If there was a way to magic up 20 hp just from a resistor (or anything relatively cost effective), do you really think toyota wouldn't have fitted it at the factory?

If there was a way to magic up 20 hp just from a resistor (or anything relatively cost effective), do you really think toyota wouldn't have fitted it at the factory?

Maybe add a turbo??

To be honest, there is a huge difference in the acceleration between the two, check this out:

SS-I,( 3S.FE ) 0-60 = 8.5 sec.

SS-II ( 3S.GE ) 0-60= 7.5 Sec.

These are home market figures ,so could be a little bit out for our lower octane fuel in the UK.

Also found the conversion from BHP to PS ( as used by the Japanese )

SS-1, 3S-FE, 140 PS = 138 BHP,

SS-II, 3S-GE Manual 180 PS = 177.5 bhp, Automatic 170 PS = 167.6 BHP,

Ok, so a second is a good bit in drag racing, but it isn't going to make a huge difference to the overall feel of the car, or the acceleration while driving around, is it?

A second is a LOT when you are getting cars in the 5-8 second barrier.

My car is 5.5 for the 0-60 dash .. I recon 4.5 would feel a LOT quicker .. and 6.5 is tame ;)

A second is a LOT when you are getting cars in the 5-8 second barrier.

My car is 5.5 for the 0-60 dash .. I recon 4.5 would feel a LOT quicker .. and 6.5 is tame ;)

Fair enough, but for general driving around would it make a huge difference?

More good news for SS1 owners - the 0-60 time is only .6 of a second behind the UK GT models :) Again, based on CelicaOwnersClub data.

I doubt you'd notice in town .. you'd only *really* notice at full chat or at M'way speeds.

It's these people who fit a filter, lose 5bhp cause it's sucking in hot air and then say "it feels quicker" ..

If there is a car infront of you, holding you up - you are quick enough ;)

Well I have a Import which is a 3s-fe and if I want more speed from my car I will sell it and get a GT4. I am not fitting anything to mine, which has a TRD panel filter and that's it. However the reasoned discussion is I think missing. Would MrT not fit said capacitors hmm. You get chips to de-restrict imports that are set up that way by MrT. While I am not saying the particular chip I pointed out work we can all accept the simple fuel mapping ecu programme in the 3s-fe set up. Are you saying this can't be remapped to deliver better performance. Given modern tecnology how much would you expect to pay for such a simple chip? The theory is sound, you add more fuel and adcance the timing, that will give you slightly more power, no question. It will also do nothing for your fule economy but as said the theory is sound even if you do not agree with it's application.

It's like the magnets that strap to the fuel line. I would agree they are rubbish but it is scientifically proven that they increase the efficency of the fuel by positively charging the atoms in the cellular make up of the fuel. You cant argue with that just that the weight of the magnets reduce any real gain.

It's only a fiver try it and let us know what you think?

Well I have a Import which is a 3s-fe and if I want more speed from my car I will sell it and get a GT4. I am not fitting anything to mine, which has a TRD panel filter and that's it. However the reasoned discussion is I think missing. Would MrT not fit said capacitors hmm. You get chips to de-restrict imports that are set up that way by MrT. While I am not saying the particular chip I pointed out work we can all accept the simple fuel mapping ecu programme in the 3s-fe set up. Are you saying this can't be remapped to deliver better performance. Given modern tecnology how much would you expect to pay for such a simple chip? The theory is sound, you add more fuel and adcance the timing, that will give you slightly more power, no question. It will also do nothing for your fule economy but as said the theory is sound even if you do not agree with it's application.

It's like the magnets that strap to the fuel line. I would agree they are rubbish but it is scientifically proven that they increase the efficency of the fuel by positively charging the atoms in the cellular make up of the fuel. You cant argue with that just that the weight of the magnets reduce any real gain.

It's only a fiver try it and let us know what you think?

IT IS NOT A CHIP! It's a variable resistor - just like you can buy from maplins for a quid. All it does is tell your ECU that the air temp is colder than it really is, so it chucks more fuel at your engine AND YOUR MPG GOES DOWN. More fuel does not mean more power - you need more AIR AND FUEL to make more power.

Bearing in mind these engines already run rich when it counts - this resistor bodge will just cause more unburnt fuel to pass through your engine and come straight out of your exhaust.

And the magnets on the fuel line thing is b :censor: ks as well!

If you think the stock ECU is not optimal enough the best upgrade is an E-Manage piggyback, but it needs to be set up on a rolling road by someone who knows what they are doing. And that will cost you more than a fiver.

I have a 91 GT-i, and would be most intrested in ways to make the engine rev a little easier between th 1 and 5 mark, the suspension, exhaust and filter has been done. but makes little differance to the power imo, the suspension is a lot better than stock.

any suggestions on engine mods, i have looked for ecu items but not many companys seem to do remaps or these piggy back ecu's

This is posted in the general forum, clearly for turbo motors but there are chips available for non turbo versions.

Clicky

Personally, I like the look of the emanage ultimate - it's got loads of features, and some stuff that other piggybacks can't do. One of my friends had a few bad experiences with a unichip, which put me off it.

You might get 5% or so more power from an NA engine with one of these properly set up.