Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Abs Warning Light

ma109

Hi Folks, I'm hoping somebody can give me some pointers on the following :

I have a P-Reg Carina E 1.8, 120k on the clock, owned for over 4 years, generally in good nick throughout. However a problem has occurred :crybaby:

When I start the car the ABS warning light flashes rapidly for 5 - 10 minutes. The brakes work fine, the ABS seems to be working fine. The problem arose very soon after I drove through a flooded stretch of road. The water was about bumper deep so I'm guessing either a sensor has been knocked loose or it has shorted. Does anybody know what this might be ? Whereabouts is the sensor located ? Is it easy to check if it is connected OK ?

All advice gratefully received. :help:

try a ecu reset mate

Thanks mate....next question.....how do I do a ECU reset. Please bear in mind that my mechanical skills are very limited and I'd rather not risk anything which might make the situation worse ?

easiest way is to simply undo the earth from the Battery if you know the radio code ,press the brake twice wait 30 seconds and reconnect OR

pull out the efi fuse or /and ecu fuse if you have 1 , wait 30 seconds and put back

try this first as there is another way to get rid of abs fault codes which i will tell you about if this fails.

Thanks GT4...much appreciated. I probably won't get a chance to look at it before the weekend as I'm working silly hours and its usually dark by the time I get home. However I will let you know how I get on

Just to let you know how I got on

I had two fuses for the EFi (none for ECU). Yesterday I removed them both, waited 30 secs and replaced them It didn't seem to make a difference. The symptoms were still the same (i.e. the abs light flashes for about 4 mins, then stays on until you press the brake pedal at which point it goes off).

However today its stopped. i.e. it comes on with all the ignition lights and then goes off once the car's started, so it looks like everything is sorted.

Thanks for your help GT4

Carina...so good it fixes itself lol

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links