Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E Universal Lambda Sensor

dbaker

Hello again,

I can see that nobody seems to know about this stuff, but I'm gonna try again anyway.

The toyota carina E lean burn engine lambda sensor is like £250. However, so I'm informed, this sensor is a standard zirconia type NOT a WB type. The difference is simply that the heater resistance is lower than other (say universal types) so it heats up rapidly (like a minute or 2 vs 15 mins on a standard)

now- and this is important, theoretically once warm I cannot see any reason why the carina won't drive normally ...and get through things like the mot emissions. Has anyone tried fitting a universal one instead of a original toyota part. there must be someone who has been in this situation???? Maybe it is undrivable for the first 15 mins, but if anyone has actually done it- I'd be very interested.

Always trying,

Graham

All of the web-sites clearly state that the Carina E lambda is somewhat special. Justlambda will only supply a genuine Toyota part.

It's clearly not worth risking it with a Universal fitting.

http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/lean.htm

I know exactly what you mean, and you are right.

However, the problem here and for many of the aging carina e's around now is that when you add on the cost of the mot, lambda sensor (and the fact that if its stuffed then most likely so is the catalytic converter) its just not worth paying and you may as well scrap the car.

This is typical of the carina I have, no problems, failed on emissions only- yet its looking like its scrap.

Try

http://www.247spares.co.uk/

for one from a breakers yard. Carinas are far too reliable to just scrap.

Try

http://www.247spares.co.uk/

for one from a breakers yard. Carinas are far too reliable to just scrap.

Good suggestion. I've needed two lambda sensors :crybaby::crybaby: , both were sourced via 247spares, first one cost £80 the second one £85. The scrap yard guys fitted both of them at no extra cost.

While I was waiting for it to be fitted somebody bought in a K-reg Carina to scrap. The scrap yard guys paid him £120 for it :D Basically they paid £120 for the whole car and will get at least £85 for just one part from it. Ah well, I was well chuffed to get mine sorted.

Good luck

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links