Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Right Wheel Noise

DrMR2

Hey Guys,

I am a bit of a mechanical virgin so i have very limited knowledge of anything cars. But i have a noise that keeps coming from what sounds like drivers front wheel, but only when i turn left! It seems to get louder with more speed.

I checked the wheel at the end of my journey and it was very hot too (the alloy).

Any ideas? Might take it to Qwik-Fit tomorrow.

Cheers

was thinkin ball joint miself.... jack it up and see if the wheel waggles much.... if it does get it sorted and drive carefully till it is :)

ups yup bearings ... i got ball joints on the brain cos mine need sorting ><

waggle it with a hand at top of wheel and a hand at bottom push away with one pull towards with other... if it moves a lot....

Cheers guys.

Took her to the Kwik-Fit boys today and the noise was no-where to be heard on the way there. I then waited one hour for them to tell me they could hear something on the road test but could not work out what it was. I was then referred to another garage.

On the way out one of the mechanics offered to buy my car too! He said he had seen a black one but wanted a red one, i said mine is 10,000 miles lower on the clock than the black one, i have full toyota service history and she is not for sale!! How dare someone offer to take her away...:-(

Back to the wheel thing, well when i returned home to find another garage (nationwide autocentre eventually), the alloy was hot and i could smell the brakes i think. Booked in for Friday at 3.

I would say wheel bearings.. get it quite often at work... if its not the bearing, then it could possibly be the cv joint, but i don't think the wheel would get hot with that.

Cheers guys.

Took her to the Kwik-Fit boys today and the noise was no-where to be heard on the way there. I then waited one hour for them to tell me they could hear something on the road test but could not work out what it was. I was then referred to another garage.

On the way out one of the mechanics offered to buy my car too! He said he had seen a black one but wanted a red one, i said mine is 10,000 miles lower on the clock than the black one, i have full toyota service history and she is not for sale!! How dare someone offer to take her away...:-(

Back to the wheel thing, well when i returned home to find another garage (nationwide autocentre eventually), the alloy was hot and i could smell the brakes i think. Booked in for Friday at 3.

If you could smell the brakes its almost certainly a seized or sticking brake caliper.

I would be 99 % certain that it's the wheel bearing.

I had mine go on me drivers front and it only started on turning right, but then it started to make noise constantly then collapsed. :crybaby:

I had mine go on me drivers front and it only started on turning right, but then it started to make noise constantly then collapsed. :crybaby:

I would have said the wheel bearing too but that wouldn't make the brakes smell.

I would have said the wheel bearing too but that wouldn't make the brakes smell.

Could be a sticky caliper or something? get wheel off the ground and start shaking things about to see if anything moves that shouldn't. or take the wheel off and strip the corner to see whats knackered

Took the car off to Nationwide Autocentre this afternoon and they diagnosed a seized caliper piston. The mechanic dude managed to free it, rid the caliper of rust etc and after a quick test drive, managed to get it back working normally.

Not sure how long it will stay in working order, but it has delayed me forking out for a new caliper for a while anyway.

Cheers for the comments guys, fantastic site!!!

Took the car off to Nationwide Autocentre this afternoon and they diagnosed a seized caliper piston. The mechanic dude managed to free it, rid the caliper of rust etc and after a quick test drive, managed to get it back working normally.

Not sure how long it will stay in working order, but it has delayed me forking out for a new caliper for a while anyway.

Cheers for the comments guys, fantastic site!!!

Glad you got it sorted. wish you many joyfull miles of motoring. :D :thumbsup:

also glad its sorted :) horrible feelin when they break :( but.... u should get way better petrol consumption and performance now :D

good stuff :thumbsup:

also glad its sorted :) horrible feelin when they break :( but.... u should get way better petrol consumption and performance now :D

good stuff :thumbsup:

Cheers Jinxed!

I was wondering if i replaced the front brake pads, would this help reduce the chance of the caliper seizing again? I presume that the piston rod had come out quite a way through low pads, then water got in, rusted and seized.

Just thinking if this is worth doing or not? Not sure on the brake pad status, better get the wheel off and check.

We tried that on JJ's car for the same reason, pads were pretty low anyway. Didn't help I'm afraid.

On her car, new calipers turned out to be the only way to fix it permanently. Cleaning up the pistons and fitting new seals and dust boots lasted about 6 months, just freeing off the caliper would normally last a few weeks.

Just remember to get new crush washers before you get halfway through the job and realise you don't have any. Otherwise it might leak a bit ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links