Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burn Smell In Reverse

chenks

whenever i reverse (even for a short distance)... there is always a burning smell when i move away in forward gear.

the smell only lasts for a few seconds.

anyone else get this ?

whenever i reverse (even for a short distance)... there is always a burning smell when i move away in forward gear.

the smell only lasts for a few seconds.

anyone else get this ?

Yes, I had when I got my car first with 4,500 miles on the clock, but not anymore (since about 6k). It's a known characteristic of the T Sport, but shouldn't cause any problems. :thumbsup::yes:

EDIT (30/3/06): DON'T LISTEN TO WHAT I'VE JUST SAID! I'm now experiencing what I THINK are problems!!! :lol: but :ffs:

yep - can confirm that it happens and there is no definite way of ensuring it goes. mine was doing it at 20k - had a warranty clutch change ( and i could feel that the clutch had been changed) but within a week was still doing it - especially when doing a maneouver that includes reversing uphill.

its now 33k and counting. did it last week if i remember correctly.....

yep - can confirm that it happens and there is no definite way of ensuring it goes. mine was doing it at 20k - had a warranty clutch change ( and i could feel that the clutch had been changed) but within a week was still doing it - especially when doing a maneouver that includes reversing uphill.

its now 33k and counting. did it last week if i remember correctly.....

:help: Right.... I don't know if I'm being paranoid with reading all this stuff about clutches over the last 8 months, but I've had the burning/smelly clutch issue which went away after a couple of k; I've had the aux belt tensioner rattle which was repaired under warranty; I've had the poorly fitting dash/airvent/headunit issue which Toyota put right but has since started to re-appear....

....and NOW I think there's a judder when I release the clutch pedal in at least 1st to 3rd gear :( :angry: :ffs: :crybaby:

If there was a genuine fault would Toyota have right to refuse to do the work under warranty because of my induction kit? i.e. more BHP/power and therefore more stresses on the car which isn't their problem? If so I'll put the original airbox back on, but will also hold off on fitting the Dastek Unichip until Toyota finish their investigations... I also have aftermarket wheels and TTE lowering springs fitted by my Toyota dealer so I'd assume that wouldn't be a problem? Would it??? :unsure:

i have the poorly fitting dash/airvent.

but to be fair, it fitted OK before i removed it all to fit a new headunit... since i put it back in, the left side sits just slightly lower than the right side.

hey K19

I would suggest removing the induction kit if not too difficult to do. As for the toyota fitted stuff i think that wouldn't cause any warranty repair issues.

then let them test drive it

The problem with clutch in reverse is due to the fact that you keep it half-pressed to regulate the speed. Avoiding this becomes quite difficult if the clutch has a very long travel, as it was initially in my car.

My new clutch has short travel (or it was adjusted for short travel) but it is not very convenient for starts (wheel spinning) and gear changes within traffic. It is also very difficult to change from 1st to 2nd.

ive got a smelly clutch when i reverse too or hill start , should i get this looked at b4 my warrenty runs out !? going in for its first mot in the next week or so !

ive got a smelly clutch when i reverse too or hill start , should i get this looked at b4 my warrenty runs out !? going in for its first mot in the next week or so !

if you just want to fix the smell i don't think a replacement clutch will necessarily fix it... but if your car hasn't had a new clutch ever and you're planning on holding it awhile yet i would say you got nothing to lose by going in and saying whats happening and seeing if they can sort it out. B)

At least if it is replaced you dont have to worry about a paying for fixing a worn clutch later...even if it is still smelly :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

So, I'm not going mad! Mine does the exact same thing. I'm guessing its not a major issue then? Is the smell just an unfortunate characteristic?

• 4 years later...

I bought my Avensis with 21k on board, and it did the smell thing. I had the Clutch changed when Toyota identified an oil burning issue with the engine on my model, so it was fixed under warranty, they also changed the clutch since the engine was taken out so it only costed me £80 quid to have a new clutch put in. Believe it or not, the smell is still there.

I believe it's to do with the way I reverse and use the clutch to control the movement of the car.

Saying this, I'm noticing that there is a bit of an occasional judder when I move from the spot in first gear, this was never an issue before. Will have to get it checked.

This is what most Toyotas do all the ones I have owned have had smelly clutch issues, forward or reverse.