Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen Replacement

salthepal

I have a crack in the top of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror and I have been advised that my 99 Rav will not pass the MOT with this crack.

I am fully comp insured and the windscreen replacement company (RAC) can replace the windscreen with either blue or green tinted glass.

The problem is that I have got dark tinted glass all round that was bought as a Toyota optional extra when new and am wondering what I should do in this situation. The RAC suggested getting the glass tinted after they fit it but it seems a bit extreme on a 6 year old car (but with only 16K miles on the clock).

Is this feasible or should I just accept that the car will look a bit weird with a blue or green windscreen and dark grey/black windows?

Is it worth contacting Esure to see if they will pay for replacing the same coloured screen from Toyota?

Thanks. :help:

I have a crack in the top of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror and I have been advised that my 99 Rav will not pass the MOT with this crack.

I am fully comp insured and the windscreen replacement company (RAC) can replace the windscreen with either blue or green tinted glass.

The problem is that I have got dark tinted glass all round that was bought as a Toyota optional extra when new and am wondering what I should do in this situation. The RAC suggested getting the glass tinted after they fit it but it seems a bit extreme on a 6 year old car (but with only 16K miles on the clock).

Is this feasible or should I just accept that the car will look a bit weird with a blue or green windscreen and dark grey/black windows?

Is it worth contacting Esure to see if they will pay for replacing the same coloured screen from Toyota?

Thanks. :help:

I had a similar problem a few years back with a Ford manufactured in Germany. It seemed most in the UK were UK built and mine had dark grey tints and the UK ones were green. I spoke to Autoglass and they were able to order the correct colour. I would check with both Autoglass and local Toyota dealer, the car is under 10 years old so you should be able to source the correct colour glass.

Just a side note , its no legal to have any tint on the front windscreen ( other than that fitted by the factory ), so just have the standard windscreen fitted :thumbsup: .

Just a side note , its no legal to have any tint on the front windscreen ( other than that fitted by the factory ), so just have the standard windscreen fitted :thumbsup: .

Thanks for replies. In fact the front windscreen was fitted by Toyota as an optional extra when the car was ordered as new, so have the rules changed since late '99 regarding tint? The tinit is not as dark as some I've seen on other 4x4s. I'll attempt to take and post a photo of the car tomorrow.

rav004.jpg

Here is a photo of the car and tinted windows! I've decided to contact toyota and find out if I can still get a tinted windscreen and then contact the insurance company.

whoops, didn't know that the image would be so big!

Thanks Bob,

I've contacted the insurance company and Toyota. Toyota say that they need to order one in specially but Autoglass say they are all the same glass and suggested they have a look at the vehicle so they can see what is needed because Toyota's windscreens are just the same as theirs. :rolleyes:

What a game!

I work for an independent windscreen company in somerset.

yor car has either privacy glass or tinted film in side windows. the front windscreen is standard tinted

autoglass will be able to supply you with one (part no. 8287ALG) if you fancy a drive to taunton i could

supply + fit one for £155.00 + vat. the dark side windows may make the windscreen look darker but trust me.

the front door windows + windscreen should be able to let 75% light through . take a look at new rav T180

front windscreen + front door glasses are lighter than rear ones 8287ALG would be the same tint as T180 front screen

I work for an independent windscreen company in somerset.

yor car has either privacy glass or tinted film in side windows. the front windscreen is standard tinted

autoglass will be able to supply you with one (part no. 8287ALG) if you fancy a drive to taunton i could

supply + fit one for £155.00 + vat. the dark side windows may make the windscreen look darker but trust me.

the front door windows + windscreen should be able to let 75% light through . take a look at new rav T180

front windscreen + front door glasses are lighter than rear ones 8287ALG would be the same tint as T180 front screen

Thanks so much for all that information. So very kind of you!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links