Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flywheel Failure Symptoms - Help Repair Bill Of £1700

bigvaughan

:help: Has anybody experienced flywheel failure -if YES could you please let me know the symptoms.

i have a Rav 4 D4D 52 plate on 47000 miles + full toyota service history. Last couple of weeks it has been vibrating on low idle but fine otherwise. Took it to local dealer today and have been quoted a hefty £1700 repair bill to replace the flywheel and clutch. Spoken to a couple of mechanics (non Toyota) and seem to think quite rare for flywheel to go on age and mileage. My wife drives the car 90% of the time and is a very careful driver and not heavy footed.

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

:help: Has anybody experienced flywheel failure -if YES could you please let me know the symptoms.

i have a Rav 4 D4D 52 plate on 47000 miles + full toyota service history. Last couple of weeks it has been vibrating on low idle but fine otherwise. Took it to local dealer today and have been quoted a hefty £1700 repair bill to replace the flywheel and clutch. Spoken to a couple of mechanics (non Toyota) and seem to think quite rare for flywheel to go on age and mileage. My wife drives the car 90% of the time and is a very careful driver and not heavy footed.

Just as described. Feels a bit like an injector misfire or duff engine mounting

£1700 is a bit steep for a £450 ish part, a clutch and 6 hrs labour and vat of course

done a few in the past, may be worth havin a look on Avensis site, Its the same part number and problem

£1700 is a bit steep for a £450 ish part, a clutch and 6 hrs labour and vat of course

done a few in the past, may be worth havin a look on Avensis site, Its the same part number and problem

Seems like this is becoming quite a problem with Rav4D4D,s. Is this problem with 4.2,s prefacelift or postfacelift? I am contemplating changing my Rav4.1 Freesport for a 4.2 D4D but all these problems are putting me off buying one.

(Yes I am Clare from Rav4World.)

Clare

Hi

I am sorry to hear of your problems with your Rav. I dont know if yours is your flywheel but there certainly seems more and more posts about Rav4 problems.

My Rav has had to have it's flywheel replaced THREE times now and I am currently fighting with the Toyota dealer who sold it to me for a replacement rav. If I could get my money back I would and I certainly would not buy another Rav.

My symptoms were, a grinding noise coming from under the car especially when moving up through the gears. In 3rd and 4th gear the gear shift stick vibrates quite badly, and the gear stick moves about, back and forth, on its own.

The more I dig around the net and check out forums the more I find Rav tranmission and engine problems are becomming common. Of course Toyota wont admit this but I suspect its down to the Rav engine being too small for such a heavy body....... Thats only my personal opinion.

The price you have been quoted does seem very high - is it a approved Toyota dealer ?

Regards,

KennyUK

Posted about 2years ago----Rav4 D4D flywheel(woes of my D4D).

Put the car in 1st gear on flat ground and let it go with foot off the accelerator, you should hear a screeching noise. Note if you speeded up noise will be drowned by diesel clatter and all seems fine.

This screeching noise was very pronounced especially when parking in the garage and I am slipping the clutch slightly.

Note during normal driving the layman could not tell whether any thing was wrong with the car.

The above symptoms I experienced, which I reckoned was not too severe.

My wheel was done when car was about a year old.

P.S. I bought 2years extended peace of mind for £550 last January.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies. Took some advice and took it for a second opinion to another Toyota dealer and they diagnosed it as a dirty fuel filter. this cost £15 + labour. a bit different from the £1700 quoted by the other dealers!!!!! Also had a full inspection and have taken out a years extended warranty just incase any more hefty bills come our way!!! My advice to anyone is always get a second opinion. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your replies. Took some advice and took it for a second opinion to another Toyota dealer and they diagnosed it as a dirty fuel filter. this cost £15 + labour. a bit different from the £1700 quoted by the other dealers!!!!! Also had a full inspection and have taken out a years extended warranty just incase any more hefty bills come our way!!! My advice to anyone is always get a second opinion. :thumbsup:

It pays to shop around and not always except the first advise.... £1700 down to a £15 fuel filter..... is a very bad garage for quoting that :eek::eek:

Nice to see your up and running now...... :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

i was on the motorway when i thought the car had jumped out of gear so i pulled onto the hard shoulder put it back into gear and went to drive off but the car just revved as if in neutral and was the same in all gears.

I have just receved a call from the garage to say that i have a bill of £1200 for a new flyweel + clutch. does this bill seem fair and would this normaly be covered under the warranty, my car is an 02 rav4 d4d 47k miles

i was on the motorway when i thought the car had jumped out of gear so i pulled onto the hard shoulder put it back into gear and went to drive off but the car just revved as if in neutral and was the same in all gears.

I have just receved a call from the garage to say that i have a bill of £1200 for a new flyweel + clutch. does this bill seem fair and would this normaly be covered under the warranty, my car is an 02 rav4 d4d 47k miles

Hi, sorry to hear that you are also having problems. To me it sounds like just the clutch that has gone, but going on previous postings Toyota seem to like changing their fly wheels but they are convinced that there is no manufacturing faults with them. I was quoted £1700 so it is a lot cheaper. If you have extended warranty the fly wheel should be under warranty unless they try to fob you off saying it's driver error due to driving the vehicle with a worn out clutch.

cheers

:(

Hi, sorry to hear that you are also having problems. To me it sounds like just the clutch that has gone, but going on previous postings Toyota seem to like changing their fly wheels but they are convinced that there is no manufacturing faults with them. I was quoted £1700 so it is a lot cheaper. If you have extended warranty the fly wheel should be under warranty unless they try to fob you off saying it's driver error due to driving the vehicle with a worn out clutch.

cheers

:(

The flywheel should be covered by the warranty but not the clutch.. as this will be classed as a wear and tear item... As your D4D is an 02 I assume the warranty has run out or about too...

• 5 months later...

GOOD NEWS

Thanks to this forum I managed to diagnose the failure of the dual mass flywheel in our four year old 52 plate, 36000 mile D4D. Our local dealer confirmed the fault when the car was serviced and advised that the clutch and freewheel needed replacement. They also said that it would be in the order of £1500 to£1600 but would see if Toyota UK would help or bear the whole cost - given that the car was of low milage, age and that it had always been serviced by Toyota. Within a couple of days we were advised by the garage that Toyota had a recall with regards to this failure and the clutch and dual mass flywheel would be replaced free of charge.

We have today collected our RAV after the two day replacement of these parts. Toyota have fitted a revised flywheel (it has a new part number) and a new clutch - waranteed for 3 years.

The car is now notably different - smoother when pulling away, no horrible squeeling noise or grunting at max power and the engine vibration we had become used to is no longer present.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links