Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 1.8vvti Brakes

alhendo1

Hi there.I'm looking for some advice on a couple of avensis matters.My 1.8 vvti gs 2002 had the rear brake calipers stripped and re greased etc in order that it would pass its mot last year(june 2005) as it failed its mot on them sticking. A few weeks ago I heard a clicking sound from the rear offside and on investigation saw that the pads were almost done and the disc had a couple of bands of rust around it where it had been worn unevenly.The nearside rear was the similar although not quite as bad. My garage said it looked as though it had been sticking on again and stripped and regreased the calipers.They said they have seen a few avensises with rear disc brakes with the same problem.Any thoughts or opinions on this as it seems a bit unreasonable to have to do this every nine months. I had a service done (40k major) at my local motor engineer and he recommended and used fully synthetic oil. I'm not sure if this is required or would semi synth do? A mate seems to think semi would do.Again any thoughts or opinions.Thanks Alan.

Toyota told me that semi-syth 5W30 was the stuff they were using for servicing at present. Apparently all new vehicle are delivered with this in.

I've used 10W40 (semi-synth) for the last few years and find it more than acceptable(used on 4A-FE & 4A-F).

I've put the 5W30 to my 1.8SE (7A-FE) but it seemed very thin to me????

• 1 month later...

There was a bulletin issued by Toyota regarding leaking rear brake calipers. The faulty calipers have a code stamped into them. If its including and between 29N to 42N, they should've been changed. On older cars it quite difficult to see the code but solvent and a shop rag should clean it up enough to make the number visable