Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 Roadster Head Unit Removal

Matt Parker

Does anyone know an easy way of taking the stndrd factory head unit out? I want to replace mine with my old kenwood unit and multi changer, but cant work out how the factory fitted ones comes out. Also when it is out are there two standard din plugs beind there or does it involve a complete re-wire too?

• 4 weeks later...

you should be able to get an ISO conversion loom from the likes of Halfords, most of the latter Toyotas use a generic set of plugs and one loom fits all. Also saves the need for hacking about and crimp connectors

• 1 month later...

well I tried again to day to remove the head unit but cant work out how to get the side rails off, the "plugs" at the bottom of the rails are dummys so I guess they just unclip somehow. It started to rain at this point so I will try again tommorrow, althugh I got the outer ring off with out the need to remove the heater dials.

I love my MR2 but she is much harder to work on than my old MGZR 160

The outer rails just pull off.. but be carefull you don't break them..

behind the plastic rails are a couple of nuts to get the inner part off... see the very bottom of the rail in the piccy

DSC00005.JPG

I can't remember if you need to take the rails off.. i'm sure the head unit is bolted to the rail itself (via 2 brackets that are mounted to the headunit) you will probably need these brackets for you new head unit.. its pretty much the same as useing the cage on a normal setup.

Once you get the outer cover off.. the rest is fairly straight forward... just remeber to take the bottom section with the ashtray etc out 1st.. makes things easier

Cheers mate, its a nice day down here today so I can drop the roof donw and work on it ginving me a bit more head room