Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Faulty Clutch?

gazza1286

My Carina E has done 102K miles and is still on the original clutch. I think it's on the way out but I would welcome your comments.

When starting from cold in the morning there is very brief 'noise' when putting the car into 1st and releasing the clutch. This noise never repeats itself in any other gear. It only occurs say twice whilst manuevering. It occurs just at the biting point. The noise never repeats once the car in warmed up. The pick up in first is not a smooth as it should be.

My diagnosis is that the clutch thrust bearing is in need of some lubrication or is in the early stages of wear. I intend changing the clutch in the next couple of months.

Is my diagnosis correct??? or is it more serious???

Gazza#

Spot on mate...Daikin OEM clutch around £60 complete. Don't bother with a reconditioned jobbie, and remember to clean the flywheel thoroughly before fitting. You don't want clutch judder after the box is back in...

Beardie

Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

My Carina E has done 102K miles and is still on the original clutch. I think it's on the way out but I would welcome your comments.

When starting from cold in the morning there is very brief 'noise' when putting the car into 1st and releasing the clutch. This noise never repeats itself in any other gear. It only occurs say twice whilst manuevering. It occurs just at the biting point. The noise never repeats once the car in warmed up. The pick up in first is not a smooth as it should be.

My diagnosis is that the clutch thrust bearing is in need of some lubrication or is in the early stages of wear. I intend changing the clutch in the next couple of months.

Is my diagnosis correct??? or is it more serious???

I had this noise checked by a mechanic. Exactly same symptom as you. He said clutch release bearing was startting to wear but had plenty of life in it. Recommended doing nothing until it let go as its about 300 to replace it (mostly labour) and would let go when moving off in first gear, thus not too risky.

francois#

get another mechanic...£300 for a clutch change in your car is robbery.. :angry:

francois#

get another mechanic...£300 for a clutch change in your car is robbery.. :angry:

really? whats a more acceptable price? They charged me 185+vat to change cat converter. was that a rip off too?

cheers

Max 4 hrs labour + parts. A good local independant will charge £25-30 tops. That means under £200 for the clutch...

My mechanic charged me £100 + the cost of the clutch.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links