Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing The Head Unit In A 98 Starlet

Simplejoe

Hi this may seem like a stupid question but I am having dificulty fitting a kenwood cd head unit into my girlfriends 98 starlet. I have managed to remove the trim around the heater controls and the old unit itself but i am left with a huge gap and some strange mounting brackets and blanking plate for the old unit.

Is there another fitting adaptor available as I can fit the unit but it isnt held in by anything as the brackets that the blanking plate is connected to are too narrow to allow the new unit to be fitted properly.

Any advice would be much appriciated as I have searched google for hours and cannot find any reference to this problem.

Many Thanks

i dropped an alpine straight into my 96 starlet. bear with me and i'll rip her apart and post up the pics.

stereo fitted in car. it looks a bit off centre cos the front panel isn't snapped in properly

DSCN0016.JPG

heater controls surround removed

DSCN0017.JPG

how the stereo mounts to the cage. there should be 2 screws in each side, however the clarion stereo fitted by the previous owner only had one in each side so i only had 2 screws

DSCN0018.JPG

another shot

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

stereo fitted in car. it looks a bit off centre cos the front panel isn't snapped in properly

DSCN0016.JPG

heater controls surround removed

DSCN0017.JPG

how the stereo mounts to the cage. there should be 2 screws in each side, however the clarion stereo fitted by the previous owner only had one in each side so i only had 2 screws

DSCN0018.JPG

another shot

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

Hi Dub thanks for the great reply. Your bracket is exactly the same as the one in my gf's car. The stereo fits in but the screw holes dont seem to line up. Also the holes on my radio arent threaded.

I take it you have not used the fitting sleeve that the radio locks into, the one supplied with the kenwood is actually wider than the slot for the radio so ive abandoned trying to fit that. At the moment i've got the radio in there but it isnt secured by anything. I will post some pics tomorrow as its easier than trying to explain.

Many Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a lame question but here goes!

I have the same problem with my 96 Starlet. However, I'm such a moron I don't even know how to get the centre console off as it is in the pictures. Is it a case of getting a flat head screwdriver in there and just prising it off?

Cheers

the two screws are a bit hidden, i would stick your head where the gearstick is and look up and you'll see them.

• 1 month later...

When I put mine in I came across a problem. With my Sony one I left the standard tape deck on the bottom and placed the Sony unit on top resting on it. I could have done it with the screws but the standard ones did not fit in the sony unit and I've not got round to getting any yet but its in there fine :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure with some cleaver wiring I could have them running at the same.

The take deck still works but I'd have to plug the connectors into the unit round the back first. I can only use one at a time. No realy need for tapes as I've not got any.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links