Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Noise

KevT3

Hi all,

I don't know if i am paronoid, but I think recently, my engine starts making "tink tink tink ... " kind of noise...

It's more obvious when the engine is cold. Also, by opening the bonnet, I think the sound comes from left hand side of the engine...

Anyone has any ideas? What are the possible problems? I am having a holiday in scotland soon in May, if it is serious, i will get it fixed before then, if not, i will leave it until i come back.

Cheers, :help:

Kevin

Hi all,

I don't know if i am paronoid, but I think recently, my engine starts making "tink tink tink ... " kind of noise...

It's more obvious when the engine is cold. Also, by opening the bonnet, I think the sound comes from the driver side of the engine...

Anyone has any ideas? What are the possible problems? I am having a holiday in scotland soon in May, if it is serious, i will get it fixed before then, if not, i will leave it until i come back.

Cheers, :help:

Kevin

they have something to do with the valves opening and closing, but i'm not too sure, sorry mate

Could well be a bit of tappet noise. If it goes when the engine is warmed up it stands a good chance of beeing the tappets. They are some times a bit noisey when cold due to the oil being thicker and also all of the oil would of drained back to the sump once the engine has been turned off for awhile hence little oil in the top half of the engine where the valve train is.

Tappets are the bits that open the valves. The camshaft pushes the tappets which in turn press open the valves. As Steve says they can be a little noisy when cold

I think it's more obvious when it's cold and less and less when it's warm, although the sound is still there