Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecu Remapping

teekay523

Been talking to few friends about how to increase bhp and they said that remapping the ECU will add about an extra 40bhp to the car for like £150? is this even possible? Cause his mate has just had a 1.4 golf remapped and it added an extra 50bhp to the car and i'm just wondering if its possible to do that to a yaris T sport without endagering the engine?

Firstly, no offence but 50bhp for a NA remap (with no other mods?) Is VERY optimistic. Also just a "remap" of the ECU does very little as there are parameters built into the ECU which limit what you can do. This is why it is more likely a piggyback unit or an interception of the ECU would be more what your looking for. It is not really going to give you much power for just a standard engine as you are only programming it as if it were using a higher fuel grade or changing its purpose more towards performance. Again this is limited by stock components as your parts aren't designed to work at an uprated level (i.e. certain amount your fuel pump can pump and your injectors inject etc.) Therefore a piggyback ECU or an ECU reprogram is pretty pointless without any modifications that the ECU would need adapting to. This kind of chipping or remapping is best suited to turbo's where the boost pressure can just be upped a bit. Obviously not the case on the yaris or that golf so i wouldn't think its worth your time tbh.

Starting blocks are usually freer breathing so intake and exhaust sorted. Then look at other parts around that can help in other ways such as lightened pulley and flywheels etc. It all starts to get a bit expensive after breathing tbh. If you just want it to "go faster" why not consider mods such as suspension and brakes as that gives quicker cornering in safety. As suspension is an area the yaris is particularly weak it is good to upgrade this area early on. The engine, for its class, is not bad and so i would work on weak areas first tbh.

Sorry for the long post but hope it helped! Welcome to the club and enjoy your stay! :thumbsup:

LOL. Nah you'll get 9bhp for £350 from dastek and that includes all your mods. lol.

As said it won't benefit you unless you are running your Yaris with a turbo or supercharger, stick to the usual route for the engine mods before going for a Dastek upgrade. But only after you've done all the other engine mods as it will be mapped to work best with the mods on the car.

Also I would agree with sorting the suspension, it made no end of difference to mine, I am a lot more confident with it now in the corners etc.

Also tell your mate whatever he's smoking, I want some :)

Notice your yet another one from Mansfield aswell, look out for a Thunder Grey T Sport knocking about, pics in a post in this forum, thats moi :D

Well you see now this is where i'm getting confused;

I've got an advert here in front of me, from Dastek Cyprus, stating that a 1.0l Yaris will get an extra 10HP with a chip, and the 1.3l will get 14HP. Nothing stated for the T-Sport/RS though. Oh and those figures are for BEFORE mods have been made, when the engine is still standard. So is this false advertising, or is someone in the UK not doing something properly?

And if anyone thinks i'm so full of **** that my eyes are brown, i'll happily scan the ad and translate it word for word

i hope 'your friends' arnt refering to the standard ECU either :P

and 50bhp optomistic.... more like a load of rubbish!

i think you need to find new friends!

i hope 'your friends' arnt refering to the standard ECU either :P

and 50bhp optomistic.... more like a load of rubbish!

i think you need to find new friends!

LOL!

sorry just saw it was a 1.4 golf. LOLAGE. I could easyily believe it if it was the Golf 2l Turbo.

sorry just saw it was a 1.4 golf. LOLAGE. I could easyily believe it if it was the Golf 2l Turbo.

Even if it was it'd still be highly unlikely you'd get a 50bhp increase from remapping

surely a 1.4 Golfball has only got 50bhp to start with :lol:

Nah the 2litre turbo gold get at least 50bhp from remap as they take really well to it. Cant remember the make of the chip though.

Nah the 2litre turbo gold get at least 50bhp from remap as they take really well to it. Cant remember the make of the chip though.

Revo chips. :)

Revo chips. :)

superchips, anything.............. turbo'd cars usually gat around 35/55bhp from a remap. :thumbsup:

Well you see now this is where i'm getting confused;

I've got an advert here in front of me, from Dastek Cyprus, stating that a 1.0l Yaris will get an extra 10HP with a chip, and the 1.3l will get 14HP. Nothing stated for the T-Sport/RS though. Oh and those figures are for BEFORE mods have been made, when the engine is still standard. So is this false advertising, or is someone in the UK not doing something properly?

And if anyone thinks i'm so full of **** that my eyes are brown, i'll happily scan the ad and translate it word for word

You're not Ross. It is confusing! It just depends on how they got to these figures.

It's like when people say, I got XXX bhp, and the standard car has got YYY bhp, so my mods must have upped it by ZZ bhp. How can you know that? The manufacturer's figure is power a the crank and comes from the average of a series of his pre-production on an engine dyno (and even then you can wonder how truthful those are, tax bands and image are strange things), the other comes from a chassis dyno where the measured power at the wheels is "translated" into power at the crank using a calculation which is mere guesswork.

I guess that to me, single dyno figures don't mean much, even multiple dyno figures are only an indication. Certainly not the religion some people want to believe they are.

Yves.