Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Superstrut

JNR

hi there i own a carina e gti with the superstrut system i just bought 2 number 1 lower arms and 2 figure of 8s i started it today got all the bolts of pretty easy but i cant get the lower ball joint of the bottom one do i need a ball joint separator tool or can i just blooter it off with a hammer thx all only took me half an hour to get the rest off thought it was a piece of ***** until i got stuck on the bottom one lol any help appreciated lads :)

Once you get the nut off try chapping in an old screw driver or chisel to open up the bottom clamp. Most of them have a split in it. Use a long bar as a leaverage to push the whole arm down to pop off the lower ball joint. You can use a seperator but they almost always burst the rubber boot. I have one somewhere and never use it. I use the method I describe using weither a master bar or scaffy pole to add leaverage.

unscrew the nut half way and whack it with at least a 4lb hammer , anything lighter wont budge it , supporting the strut with an axle stand or another jack ,, i got mine apart by wedging a chisel in so far between ball joint and mounting bracket , then whacking the nut with a hammer, i also heated it up using a gas blow torch . dont think the ball joint is slotted type martin , i know the celica ones are not.

thx a lot guys one side done just done what you said BOOSTER and wacked it with a ig hammer bolt came out arm just fell of cheers m8 but im all cut scrathes bruises and nearly took a big chunk out of my finger in between the strut and hub pinky is swollen up and hurts like %$( :blink::crybaby: :ffs: but was worth it in the end rattling has now gone completely hehe on one side :thumbsup: its good to be rattle free :D

What engine is in your Carina?????

IIRC the GTi had the 3s-ge, early models were around 155bhp and later models were around 170bhp :thumbsup:

done and dusted took me about 45 mins to change other side today without any bumps and bruises hehe totaly rattle free and seems to handle a lot better aswell :D :thumbsup: :P

IIRC the GTi had the 3s-ge, early models were around 155bhp and later models were around 170bhp :thumbsup:

A bit of a dark horse then ;)

A bit of a dark horse then ;)

Yeah, i've never been in one but i bet they handle really nice too :yes:

There not the type of car you would really think would have 170bhp! Now I know why they have so many in Rusholme!

There not the type of car you would really think would have 170bhp! Now I know why they have so many in Rusholme!

I think the carina is the base car for the celica - much of the celica's running gear was borrowed from the carina!

lol yer it is a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing you should see the look on some of the peoples faces when they pull up alongside me to overtake me when i put the boot down hehe it handles very nice aswell :D :thumbsup:

I think the carina is the base car for the celica - much of the celica's running gear was borrowed from the carina!

Even the front brake disc are the same as a carina my toy dealer told me

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links