Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mods For 1995 Celica Gt

sjungdahl

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum. I have a 1995 Celica GT Convertible. I really like the way the car handles, but it lacks power.

What can I do.

I would like to get over 200hp. Is this possible or a dream.

Hello

The only way to get it over 200bhp is to either supercharger it or use nitrous! Less extreme methods are as follows: de-cat pipe, induction kit or cold air intake, use Optimax! These won't get you over 200, but they will make your car more responsive.

A good contact for supercharging, nitrous, inductions and CAI is Japspeed Racing

HTH :D

not quite although the path to 200bhp on a 3s-ge is not cheap as a considerable amount of work needs to be done.

As a normally aspirated car there is not to much that can be done for cheap, Induction Kit, Exhaust, de-cat etc....

If you wanted to get above 200bhp out of the same engine you would need a lot of work done to the throttle bodies and engine itself and would be spending a serious amount of cash.

If budgets is available could always do a transplant for another engine such as the 3s-gte which is pretty much a staright swap over although ecu, looms etc would also need changing.

A few of the guys in the USA are into doing engine swops for the 3S-GTE, mainly cos they can't get the GT4. I think if you are going to go that route, you would be better off getting a GT4. Much simplier plus you get 4 wheel drive. :D

A few of the guys in the USA are into doing engine swops for the 3S-GTE, mainly cos they can't get the GT4. I think if you are going to go that route, you would be better off getting a GT4. Much simplier plus you get 4 wheel drive.  :D

It's a difficult job, if you arent very experienced. I've been looking into having this done and would agree that it is easier to go for a GT4. I'm going to get one next year (st205)

I'd say, forced induction and performance exhaust system.. (manifold to back box)...

It won't give 200bhp, but it'll be a lot more responsive.. and you can do it for less than a grand.. and it will probably satisfy your needs..

It's a difficult job, if you arent very experienced. I've been looking into having this done and would agree that it is easier to go for a GT4. I'm going to get one next year (st202)

ST205, ST202 is the FWD 2.0 GT

you on't have to go to 4wd to have the 3s-gte and its a lot cheaper to stay with 2wd

I agree, if your going to go upgrade the ST202/AT200 to the 3S-GTE you need the MR2 2WD engine.

I wouldnt use a ST205 4WD engine on a 2WD car because its not balanced for 2WD and its also going to need to be fitted with a new bottom end because you will remove the Rear drive shaft.

But also i firmly believe it to be a waste of money to convert a 1.8 or 2.0 GT to the 3S-GTE because simply the money is better applied to a real GT4.

I used to have a 1998 ST202 2.0 GT and i thought about the 3S-GTE but the money invloved in doing this and also the fact that you havent got 4WD made me sell up and move to GT4 country.

Im now driving (an older) 1995 ST205. But trust me you will never regret changing your car once you drive the real 3S-GTE car. :D

Anyway if you have done like me and spent loads on your old celica you can move the parts over onto the GT4! Although i needed spacers for my wheels because the GT4 brakes are HUGE :censor: er's

I agree, if your going to go upgrade the ST202/AT200 to the 3S-GTE you need the MR2 2WD engine.

I wouldnt use a ST205 4WD engine on a 2WD car because its not balanced for 2WD and its also going to need to be fitted with a new bottom end because you will remove the Rear drive shaft.

But also i firmly believe it to be a waste of money to convert a 1.8 or 2.0 GT to the 3S-GTE because simply the money is better applied to a real GT4.

I'm beginning to think I am one of a handful of Americans here :thumbsup: , and to further segregate myself, I am one of a handful of those American celica owners to have completed a 3SGTE swap into my AT200. :hokus-pokus:

a few points in repsonse to everyone:

- Do not use a MR2 Turbo engine unless you have to, especially if you are doing the conversion with an AT200. you have to have all kinds minor changes made to the MR2 Turbo version of the 3SGTE like the location of the alternator, power steering pump, etc, etc.

- When you say the 3rd gen 3SGTE is not balanced.... not balanced how? The rear driveshaft is part of the transmission and transfer case that would just be replaced with a E53S (?) Trans. I don't really think the engine itself cares what it is connected to, case in point, with some work, you can drop that engine into a Supra.

- It may infact be a waste of $$ outside of North America since you have GT4s, Silvias, Skylines and a host of other fast as hell cars. But here, we have to build our cars to emulate what they "should" have been when they were inported.

- The easist way to get this done, is to use an JDM ST185 GT4 3SGTE. Low miles, cheap, and for about $1500 US you can get a full 1/2 cut car with all the wiring and sensors you need. 100 HP increase for $1500, you can't find a better HP increase to dollar ratio.

- Costs to do a 3SGTE swap here in the US is around $3K - $4K US for a ST204 (5SFE) and maybe $6K US for an AT200 (7AFE) I am building a full blown GT4 and I have spent approx $8K US between the celica and the GT4 and plan to spend about another $2K - $3K US to change the trunk pans and to rebuild and refurbish the engine, suspension, & brakes.

There is nothing like having 230 hp with a 2600 lb car ;)

:thumbsup:

A lot of great help here. Thanks to all.

I am doing some checking. I have one question.

What's the difference between the ST204(5SFE) and the AT200(7AFE)

How do I find which one I have.

It also appears I should have mentioned I live in OHIO USA.

Is the GT4 available in the US?

haha! Filfthy American,

ST204 - Celica GT 2.2L 130 HP <- you

AT200 - Celica ST 1.8L 110 HP

You are going to have a little more trouble with power, your car is HEAVY and it will be a little twisty with the convertible... I would almost not reccomend the 3SGTE since the 190 ft/lb of torque may give your chassis more twist then go.

I'm beginning to think I am one of a handful of Americans here :thumbsup: , and to further segregate myself, I am one of a handful of those American celica owners to have completed a 3SGTE swap into my AT200. :hokus-pokus:

a few points in repsonse to everyone:

- Do not use a MR2 Turbo engine unless you have to, especially if you are doing the conversion with an AT200. you have to have all kinds minor changes made to the MR2 Turbo version of the 3SGTE like the location of the alternator, power steering pump, etc, etc.

- When you say the 3rd gen 3SGTE is not balanced.... not balanced how? The rear driveshaft is part of the transmission and transfer case that would just be replaced with a E53S (?) Trans. I don't really think the engine itself cares what it is connected to, case in point, with some work, you can drop that engine into a Supra.

- It may infact be a waste of $$ outside of North America since you have GT4s, Silvias, Skylines and a host of other fast as hell cars. But here, we have to build our cars to emulate what they "should" have been when they were inported.

- The easist way to get this done, is to use an JDM ST185 GT4 3SGTE. Low miles, cheap, and for about $1500 US you can get a full 1/2 cut car with all the wiring and sensors you need. 100 HP increase for $1500, you can't find a better HP increase to dollar ratio.

- Costs to do a 3SGTE swap here in the US is around $3K - $4K US for a ST204 (5SFE) and maybe $6K US for an AT200 (7AFE) I am building a full blown GT4 and I have spent approx $8K US between the celica and the GT4 and plan to spend about another $2K - $3K US to change the trunk pans and to rebuild and refurbish the engine, suspension, & brakes.

There is nothing like having 230 hp with a 2600 lb car ;)

lol

Im one of the few british people on 6gc.net!!!

Nice to have it the other way for a change!!!

you on't have to go to 4wd to have the 3s-gte and its a lot cheaper to stay with 2wd

No one is saying what you have or havent got to do - The fact is that engine conversions take time and technical knowledge and I think that because you have alot DIY knowledge (rhaines) you expect it to be a fairly easy thing to do.

A couple of points -

1. You have to source an engine

2. You have to change ECU's and looms

3. You need a FF celica to begin with

4. Then you have to try and explain to your insurance company and watch them bump you up to the same insurance group as a GT4 anyway

It is easier to go for a GT4 if you want extra perfromance and until someone comes up with a convincing argument that is exactly what I will be doing. There is only about a £1500 difference in the cost of a GT or a GT4. And you are getting four wheel drive and all the luxarys a GT4 has to offer.

One other thing I bet if you tried to put 350bhp+ through a FF gear box and drive shafts, the drive shafts will eat themselves after a few wheel spins and the gearbox will need replacing :yes:

• 10 years later...

Alright what you can do and this is what im doing port and polish the headers then 4 in 1exhaust pipe. Plus cold are intake ,ecu chip and change the car from front wheel to rear wheel drive. Yoy should rebuild the engine every time you put something in dont thrown a whole bunch of horsepower expecting it to fit in perfectly

Alright what you can do and this is what im doing port and polish the headers then 4 in 1exhaust pipe. Plus cold are intake ,ecu chip and change the car from front wheel to rear wheel drive. Yoy should rebuild the engine every time you put something in dont thrown a whole bunch of horsepower expecting it to fit in perfectly

I want some of what you're on :wacko: