Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newb Wants Ae82

Pelican

Hello all, newb here, 17, passed my test about a month or so ago. I've decided i'd like an AE82 as a first car, would love a GT, but i know insurance won't let that happen.. so i'm gonna look for the basic one.

Looked on wikipedia, confirms what i thought, the basic model is the 1.3 GL? ("2A 1.3 L, 8-valve SOHC, carb, 69 hp") Are parts from the GT transferable onto the basic chassis? What i mean is how much work is involved, anything will fit anything with work.. but would it be simple to slowly upgrade the GL to GT and then further? Or would it be much easier to just wait and then sell the GL and a get a GT?

(I've already searched "AE82" into the forums, have read 4 pages in and given up, as it's all about GT's, so apologies if i've missed a thread that already answers this.)

Hi and welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

Your probably right about the insurance on an AE82 GT, in your own name it would cripple you @ 17 i would imagine :!Removed!:

As for transferring the GL into a GT, i think you'd be best saving for a GT in the first place :yes: You could check insurance anyway, as im sure 'JT' on here had an AE82 at 17 :thumbsup:

Good luck with whatever you go for and make sure you get some pics on here! :D

Edit: According to Parkers the GT AE82 is group 12 insurance, so you might be able to insure one! :thumbsup:

Hi and welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

Your probably right about the insurance on an AE82 GT, in your own name it would cripple you @ 17 i would imagine :!Removed!:

As for transferring the GL into a GT, i think you'd be best saving for a GT in the first place :yes: You could check insurance anyway, as im sure 'JT' on here had an AE82 at 17 :thumbsup:

Good luck with whatever you go for and make sure you get some pics on here! :D

Edit: According to Parkers the GT AE82 is group 12 insurance, so you might be able to insure one! :thumbsup:

Indeed i did. It was under my mum's name though

I got some quotes...

The GT would cost about £3.5k

The Gl would cost about £1.8k

...i do have pass+, so this would more or less halve it, still seems a bit much though, especially on my student budget =P

I think i'm gonna have to get some no claims on something else first.

get some more quotes, because they're crap. I pay less than what you'd be paying on a 20 year old corolla GL for a peugeot 306 GTI-6 in my name and im 19 with no NCB.

To be honest, if you can't insure a GT, i wouldn't bother - what's the point in buying a GL? Get something newer

Do a quote with Admiral/Elephant, and add your parents on as named drivers, that should bring it down a bit :thumbsup:

£3.5k is far too much for a GT :!Removed!:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links